Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Upgraded to 7 32 to 7 64, BC assistant missing

Upgraded to 7 32 to 7 64, BC assistant missing
Rumor
Aug 25, 2011, 03:48 AM

I have copies of XP Pro and 7 Pro. A few months ago, my HD crapped out on me. I had it replaced a couple months back and began reinstalling everything.

I had issues with XP trying to install SP 3, can't remember why. I couldn't install 7 as it is a upgrade copy and it was being prevented for some reason (or maybe I didn't try after not being able to update XP).

Regardless, my workaround was to install a 32 bit version of 7 Enterprise. The other night I realized it was 32 bit and not 64 bit, so I brought out the 7 Pro 64 bit DVD and installed over it using Custom Install.

Everything is fine except the Bootcamp Assistant is missing. First I try downloading the BC 3.3 update, says I already have it installed. Okay.

I take a look around and find the Bootcamp folder in the Windows.Old directory from the old install. I tried copying that folder and opening bootcamp but it errors out.

I know that the 3.0 drivers are on the SL DVD, but I not longer have it cause I included it when I sold my last MBP (like an idiot). I could borrow a friends copy of SL (which is what I initially did to install XP/7) but would it even work?

I don't have anything on the Windows partition that I cannot reinstall as it really is just for some gaming. At this point, what are my options? Is there a way to get it to work as it is already located on the drive? Do I need to have the SL DVD? Do I need to nuke and pave (I hope not as it takes forever for XP to install and I cannot even guarantee that I can install 7 on top of it)? Thoughts? Opinions? Lucky Rabbits Foot?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2011, 08:45 AM

Should be able to extract BC3.0 from a SL disc...maybe someone can do it and post it somewhere for you as long as that's legal. Pacifist could be used to extract BC if it's buried on the disc and not a seperate installer.

Rumor  (op)
Aug 25, 2011, 01:23 PM

Installing BC 3 over 3.3 should work?

Rumor  (op)
Aug 25, 2011, 11:06 PM

That did the trick. I had to burn it to a dvd since the USB drive I used couldn't be read.

Forum Links
Forum Rules