Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Upgrade Parallels or buy Fusion

View Poll Results: Which Virtualization Option Would You Recommend?
Poll Options:
Parallels v9 1 votes (33.33%)
Fusion v6 2 votes (66.67%)
No real difference 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll
Upgrade Parallels or buy Fusion
cgc
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2013, 10:05 PM

Hello, I'm a long-time user of VMWare Fusion and Parallels. Currently, I have Fusion v4 and Parallels v7 running Windows 8.1 and various Linux distros (e.g. Mandriva, Mint, Fedora, Debian, etc.) on my 2006 1,1 MacPro with 7GB memory and a (flashed) ATI 5770 GPU.

My question is should I upgrade Parallels to v9 or upgrade Fusion to v6? To me, they both seem about the same in terms of speed but Fusion seems to have better Linux compatibility and Parallels seems to be better with running Windows. Other than the annual "upgrades" Parallels forces users to buy for bug fixes, what would you recommend in terms of upgrade paths?

Basically, I'm asking if there's something I'm missing as I'm leaning towards Fusion v6 (e.g. will I be able to transfer my Windows 8.1 and Office 2010 licenses easily)? Thanks.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 28, 2013, 06:26 PM

Have you checked out Virtualbox recently? I haven't compared it to Parallels or Fusion in ages, but it's been working great for me.

cgc  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2013, 08:31 AM

I did try VirtualBox a year ago and wasn't impressed. Reviews consistently show VirtualBox is much slower than either Parallels or Fusion, harder to use, and less polished. I don't mind paying $49 to upgrade Parallels or Fusion but am not a fan of Parallels and don't want to go through the hassle of calling MS to explain why I'm registering Office and Windows 8.1 on a "new" machine.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2013, 11:06 AM

Parallel's business model is pretty close to a scam, imo, forcing users into paid upgrades with every major OS X release. They're shamelessly taking advantage of Apple's commitment to low-cost (now no-cost) OS X updates. If they wanted to be honest about it, they would just switch to a subscription model. I ditched them for VirtualBox for this reason and have been happy so far.

Does Fusion use the same upgrade tactics as Parallels? If not, and if you really don't want to go with VirtualBox, I'd lean towards them for the sake of principle alone.

pairof9s
Senior User
Oct 29, 2013, 03:57 PM

Ditto to gradient...

It seems every year. we're asked to pony up more funds for the latest version of Parallels that magically is 20-30% faster than the previous version, has great new features I'd never use and has fixes for the bugs from the previous version (while introducing its own). I'm not trying to beat up on Parallels intently as they have the right to pursue a business model that allows them to succeed, but the practice has grown old for my needs.

That stated, I like Fusion 6 after recently converting from Parallels 7 (in lieu of upgrading to P8 or P9). Was a breeze, got a discount, and had no issues w/ Windows 7. Performance-wise, I can't tell a real difference. The biggest challenge is if you're an existing Parallels user and switching to Fusion, thus learning the new features and how they work...which isn't that big of a challenge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules