Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > fat32 extrnal firewire drive, lots of issues.

fat32 extrnal firewire drive, lots of issues.
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2005, 03:40 PM

ok let me run through my situation, I have a PC and a Mac with two somewhat similar itunes libraries, I want to put the two of them together and make a master library on my external drive.

When I plug in the external drive (Formatted w/ FAT32) into my mac (w/ tiger) it will see all the folders fine, but once I try and copy one of the folders to my internal drive (these folders are about 8 gigs) it will read ONE file and then freeze, same thing happens when I try and copy just ONE album folder (only about 25megs or so), it will copy one song and then just freeze.

the thing is is the PC is at my other house and I dont have/want to use the pc to do it all.

why does my mac refuse to read the FAT32 drive... I WANT NTFS support!!!

is there another way to do this? or is it my external drive enclosure, it's one of those usb 2.0 and firewire drives, I have only been using the firewire on my mac, I have a PCI usb 2.0 card though...

Zach
( Last edited by phantomdragonz; Jun 20, 2005 at 03:49 PM. Reason: so i can get e-mails when someone replys...)

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2005, 04:21 PM

So, I just read another thread that was pointing some fingers at tigers poor firewire handling and I plugged the drive into the usb 2.0 card that I have, and now it is currently copying my 10gigs of music over, I hope it works!

Zach

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2005, 04:36 PM

To which thread are you referring?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2005, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
To which thread are you referring?

This one

It seems to have worked, I have copied it all over and organized and used "fetch art" to get all the album art... so i am golden!

it is either the cheap case I bought or the firewire thing, I donno, but the USB works great, i have a cheap usb 2.0 card in my sawtooth G4 and it works.

Zach

Forum Links
Forum Rules