Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > S.W.A.T style throat mics, anyone use one? (pic inside)

S.W.A.T style throat mics, anyone use one? (pic inside)
phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 01:42 AM

So if you have ever seen a S.W.A.T movie you have probably seen them running around with bands around their necks, those bands are throat mics, they pick up the vibrations of your voice box and transmit it as your voice...

Well they are availiable to the public as well, they are not super cheap, but a decent one will set you back $50 USD so it's still affordable...

I am looking into them for motorcycleing, snowmobiling and skiing... all of those environments dont work to well with wind noise and such, most of those I will be wearing a full face helmet anyways, so a normal boom microphone would not work either...

Has anyone used these? how do they sound?

I am tempted to buy one and see if it works, it would be very cool to have, if it works...

Zach

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 02:34 AM

Don't know about the throat mikes, but the Halo 2 headset works great in a windy jeep with no top or doors. Not sure if this is the kind of boom mike you were talking about, but it should fit under your helmet.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 02:38 AM

that would definitely not fit under a full face helmet.... That is the style I want to stay away from...

Zach

Originally Posted by iLikebeer
Don't know about the throat mikes, but the Halo 2 headset works great in a windy jeep with no top or doors. Not sure if this is the kind of boom mike you were talking about, but it should fit under your helmet.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2005, 11:31 AM

That is very cool if it works with a helmet. A drive my bike(Honda CBR600F4) almost daily, and with the occasional roadtrip through Europe, this would be a nessecity with the portophone.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

macroy
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2005, 03:11 PM

do thoes come in bluetooth? that would pretty cool.... no more wearing that stupid big earpiece. But then you'd have to put up with... "nice necklace"

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 12:46 AM

Man If you wear a shirt with a collar and this mic thing is not visible you will look seriously skitso (I know thats spelled wrong... very wrong... but Im too lazy to look it up and apple spell check has no suggestions)

"hey, check it out. that guy is carrying on a conversation with himself"

Sarc
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 01:32 AM

any linkeage for those throat mikes ?
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 02:03 AM

Why don't you stop your motorcycle to speak on your cellphone???

iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by The Godfather
Why don't you stop your motorcycle to speak on your cellphone???
He said motorcycling, snowmobiling, and skiing. Sounds more like he's using 2 way radios to talk with others close to him. Some radios are voice activated so you don't even have to push a button.

strictlyplaid
Senior User
Aug 7, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by phantomdragonz
I am looking into them for motorcycleing, snowmobiling and skiing... all of those environments dont work to well with wind noise and such, most of those I will be wearing a full face helmet anyways, so a normal boom microphone would not work either...
Be careful using the mike if you're motorcycling on the roads... at least in my home state, using any sort of transmitter/receiver while motorcycling is illegal (unless you're a cop.) I guess they think people will get distracted... don't know where they got that crazy idea! Not sure about whether it's ok to wear it while off-roading.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 7, 2005, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by MacMan4000
Man If you wear a shirt with a collar and this mic thing is not visible you will look seriously skitso (I know thats spelled wrong... very wrong... but Im too lazy to look it up and apple spell check has no suggestions)

"hey, check it out. that guy is carrying on a conversation with himself"
The voices in my head told me to let you know that it's spelled "schizophrenia," or "schizo" for short. They also said "Have a nice FREAKING day! "

Here's the site for the item in the original post. Very interesting stuff.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PacHead
Baninated
Aug 7, 2005, 12:44 PM

Those aren't S.W.A.T. style mics, they're more like German tank crew mics from WWII, and people have been using them for more than half a century.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 01:30 PM

yeah, I am planning one using them with 2-way radios... motorola has some out now that have a 12 mile range...

anyways, I go snowmobiling and skiing a lot, and i always bring a radio with me so if I get lost or lose the people i am with I can contact them quickly and re-group... now if I had a radio I could easly talk to the other person(s) I could plan little things, like where to turn and such, or say what a great jump that was...

plus for motorcycling it would be cool to say, "hey lets go this way" or "I need gas" it would not be for constant communication... Honda Goldwings already have full CB and radios on them, not to mention built in communications for rider ti rider communications on the same bike... So I dont think it would be illegal...

this is not for a cell phone, talkling on a cell and trying to ride a motorcycle at the same time would be scary!

Zach

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 02:15 PM

So i just found a review with some decent audio clips... it does not sound like a normal boom mic, but it definitely is intelligible...

here is the review, the dude is kinda funny...

NT2 Review

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2005, 03:33 PM

testing testing

one

two

three

Kevin
Baninated
Aug 7, 2005, 03:43 PM

You should have made that pic BIGGER.

phantomdragonz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2005, 03:56 AM

So I am digging this thread back up to add my full review...

I learned a lesson, the speakers that are built into the radios SUCK!

I have had these for about 3 weeks now and I was pissed because I could not get anything intelligible out of them, well once I hooked up a real in-ear headset I could understand everything perfectly, I went out riding my motorcycle and got to about 30mph and it was very little change at all in the way I sounded (apparently)

So I say they work awesome, I have only tested them once, but they look like they will work great!

Zach

Forum Links
Forum Rules