Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Democratic congress not an inevitability

Democratic congress not an inevitability
smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 01:28 PM

As it turns out, the race for congress may be more competitive than once thought.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/110263/Ba...mpetitive.aspx

Democrats now leading the Republicans by just 3 percentage points, 48% to 45%, in voters' "generic ballot" preferences for Congress. This is down from consistent double-digit Democratic leads seen on this measure over the past year.
The positive impact of the GOP convention on polling indicators of Republican strength is further seen in the operation of Gallup's "likely voter" model in this survey. Republicans, who are now much more enthused about the 2008 election than they were prior to the convention, show heightened interest in voting, and thus outscore Democrats in apparent likelihood to vote in November. As a result, Republican candidates now lead Democratic candidates among likely voters by 5 percentage points, 50% to 45%.

If these numbers are sustained through Election Day -- a big if -- Republicans could be expected to regain control of the U.S. House of Representatives.
I know it's just a poll but it speaks to the fallacy of inevitability that we have had to endure the past year-and-a-half.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 01:31 PM

Like the endless mention of horrible approval ratings didn't tip me off to this months ago.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 03:46 PM

National polls (for congress or president) are irrelevant and uninteresting since the congresspeople/electors are elected regionally. I expect the donkeys to have a ~13 seat margin in the senate and I don't see the elephants winning enough races in the house.

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
National polls (for congress or president) are irrelevant and uninteresting since the congresspeople/electors are elected regionally.
As I said, it's just a poll. However, traditionally these generic polls weigh much heavier for the democrats and rarely get within a few points.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 12, 2008, 04:33 PM

If the Republicans embrace the Fair Tax and make it part of a renewed Contract with America, they will regain control of congress.
45/47

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 06:08 PM

Good. Since I expect that Obama will win the presidency, I really hope that we'll end up with a Republican majority in Congress. If, on the other hand, McCain wins, I hope we'll end up with a Democratic majority in Congress.

Gridlock, baby!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2008, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
If the Republicans embrace the Fair Tax and make it part of a renewed Contract with America, they will regain control of congress.
That would be pretty awesome. Of course it would require that the Republicans actually be Republicans which they haven't been for the entirety of my voting career. At least I get to vote to abolish the Massachusetts income tax.

nader2008
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2008, 10:19 PM

These polls that show the Republicans looking well..not to lose horribly and possibly hold their own in terms of members in the Senate and House are really quite a shocking news item.....The Dems were supposed to win BIG in the Senate...60+ with ease..now..looks to be maybe just a few pickups in the Senate and similar in the house?

smacintush  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 14, 2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by nader2008 View Post
These polls that show the Republicans looking well..not to lose horribly and possibly hold their own in terms of members in the Senate and House are really quite a shocking news item.....The Dems were supposed to win BIG in the Senate...60+ with ease..now..looks to be maybe just a few pickups in the Senate and similar in the house?
Never can tell.

My question is, what will the real implications be within the Democrat party if after 8 years of a Republican President they despise, one with very low approval ratings, they lose seats in the house AND they lose the Presidency.

I would hope there would be a big shake up. They would be much better off without people like Harry and Nancy.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush View Post
Never can tell.

My question is, what will the real implications be within the Democrat party if after 8 years of a Republican President they despise, one with very low approval ratings, they lose seats in the house AND they lose the Presidency.

I would hope there would be a big shake up. They would be much better off without people like Harry and Nancy.
That's what I said after Kerry lost. The party should've imploded. I doubt they'd learn anything if they lose again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules