Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Good ideas for old iPhone 5?

Good ideas for old iPhone 5?
ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2017, 06:33 PM

I've got an extra iP5 kicking around - has a brand-new battery and screen but otherwise absolutely no use. I don't need an ATV remote and it wouldn't fetch enough to be worth selling. Does anyone know of some interesting things would could put an extra iP5 up to?

For example, I've been considering getting a Sonos system - I think I could put it on a wall cradle next to a plugin and it could serve as a dedicated music remote in the kitchen? I guess?

Any better or cooler ideas?
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

andi*pandi
Jan 6, 2017, 06:48 PM

give it to me?

but maybe dedicated car jukebox?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 6, 2017, 09:21 PM

I have two. One's for small-screen development testing, the other is going to be sold. Unless you use it as a music device, there's no real need for one that I can think of.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2017, 05:08 AM

Permanent car GPS and music player.
Multimedia remote, but will only work w/ connected devices since it doesn't have an IR blaster (or you can buy a cheap dongle).
Game console for a child, make sure the account is locked down.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/photos/14...ones-232824622
( Last edited by Cap'n Tightpants; Jan 7, 2017 at 05:23 AM. )
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2017, 10:06 AM

Car satnav and media player

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2017, 02:06 PM

Not a bad idea but the car has CarPlay and we typically just plug in our iP6s anyway when we get in - I don't see a huge benefit to that idea. Another thing is that especially in winter, the car + phone would be left outside in minus overnight temperatures - seems likely to be a complete brick every morning, and if you have to take it inside anyway it's easier to just use our own phones.

Someone else mentioned security camera - apparently there are some apps that let you do that, although it would obviously need a power source. I assume the night vision would be pretty useless though.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2017, 05:42 PM

Have to wonder if there is a jailbreak market to recycle old iOS devices for new uses.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2017, 03:01 PM

haha first world problems. Why not use it as a high tech door stop, or as a wide butter or jam spreader? Maybe it would be handy to keep by the bed to throw at intruders?
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2017, 05:32 PM

I enjoy the mental image of hurling 8 or 9 old iPhones at someone. Plus you could throw an original iPad in there for a fairly devastating change up.

andi*pandi
Jan 9, 2017, 05:35 PM

Hey, our ipad1 still rocks!

ShortcutToMoncton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2017, 05:37 PM

Seriously though, something like an iP5 is still a super capable mini computer. I can see why it wouldn't be worth very much from a resale perspective since it's old smartphone tech, but I'm surprised there aren't more creative uses given how many there are floating around out there.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2017, 06:01 PM

My wife still uses an iPhone 5. She has no need or desire for anything newer.

We used to have an extra 5. I loaded it up with games and kids shows and used it to tactically pacify my children on the go.

But that extra kid's iPhone has since been repurposed as my wife's iPhone, after her phone died in the line of duty.

I think next year we'll both upgrade to the 7s or 8 or whatever it is.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

P
Jan 10, 2017, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Seriously though, something like an iP5 is still a super capable mini computer. I can see why it wouldn't be worth very much from a resale perspective since it's old smartphone tech, but I'm surprised there aren't more creative uses given how many there are floating around out there.
The downside to Apple locking them down the way they do. I have been amusing myself with the idea of making a magic mirror, and it really would be perfect to use an old iOS device or two for that - except that they're all locked down so you can't control what the mirror would show.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

kiana mckylie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2017, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
I couldn't agree more on everything you just said!. They are indeed too many floating around out there

finboy
Jan 13, 2017, 04:26 PM

iPhone 6S skips in one car (with a Blaupunkt New Jersey) so I have to keep the 5S in there as the jukebox. The 6S works seamlessly with SYNC in my truck, but SYNC is such a piece of crap that I use MP3 disks a lot of the time rather than mess with it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules