Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > My iMac G5 LCD monitor has green pixel burnin after internet browsing for several hrs

My iMac G5 LCD monitor has green pixel burnin after internet browsing for several hrs
Ham Sandwich
May 31, 2008, 06:45 PM

My iMac G5 17 inch LCD monitor has green pixel burnin after internet browsing for several hours

I have placed this thread inside of "Consumer Hardware & Components," because I think that my topic is best related to LCD monitors, and I think that "Consumer Hardware & Components" seems to best represent this issue.

After browsing the internet for several hours at a time, at the top left of that part of the screen where my browser's webpage viewing pane is (roughly 1.5" down from the top of the screen display), a very slightly greenish line indicating the line border between my browser's webpage viewing pane and my browser's tabbar (which is black due to theme installation on my browser) appears. Once it appears (might take 2 hours first), it gets quite visible after 2 hours, and then seems permanently burnt in after a total of 4 hours. This problem has been getting increasingly worse for the past two months, when it just first started out as a faint discoloration. Yet before two months ago, I had been fairly active with web browsing, and was extremely active with web browsing for hours straight last summer with no pixel problems. Luckily when I first turn the computer on and use it for 2 hours or so, there is no evidence of screen burn-in.

I have nearly always used to set my monitor to dim and then go blank after 2 minutes of use so that the piezoelectrics do not need to do so much work (in contrast to leaving the monitor on 24/7 like I suppose some people do).

I have heard about LCD burn-in being not possible, because it's an LCD, unlike with a CRT, but I am personally witnessing LCD-burn-in with my iMac G5 17" monitor. So, after researching the topic online, I had heard about individuals setting the display to maximum brightness and then flashing a screen-covering animation of entirely black or white frames at a fast rate to correct the problem, but that has not been too successful for me.

What else can I do to reverse the burn-in?

I would prefer to not have to replace the screen, as I doubt that I can do that.

analogika
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 07:22 PM

You describe the problem as being a line invariably between the webpage viewing pane and the tab-bar...

also, you mention using a theme, but don't mention which browser, OS version, or anything else.

Stupid question:

what happens when you move the window?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2008, 09:28 PM

LCDs can and do burn in, but it doesn't work the way you've described.

Do you have AppleCare? It sounds like your iMac is defective.

Ham Sandwich
May 31, 2008, 10:18 PM

Well......

iMac G5 1.6 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.3
Firefox 3 beta 5 with NASAlaunch theme
1.25 GB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
AirPort Installed

When I move the browser window, the seemingly "burnt-in" stuff on the screen stays there, and it looks like a sorta fuzzy thin line.

I have to put the monitor to sleep for maybe 10 minutes to get the discoloration/burn-in to go away.

MacNNUK
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2008, 11:14 PM

Could it be the light source behind the LCD?

Still an Applecare problem though.

iMac Intel Core i5, 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 21.5" Monitor 10.8.3.
iMac 17" 2.0ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w 3gb memory (White one) 10.6.8.
Internal 500gb / 8x external HDD's 250GB - 3TB (4x Time Machine)

Ham Sandwich
Jun 1, 2008, 01:00 PM

I have no idea if it's the light source.

Behind that portion of the monitor where the line shows up is the hard drive and the case airholes.

I don't have AppleCare.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 05:41 PM

Any possibility you can take a picture of the line?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Ham Sandwich
Jun 2, 2008, 08:32 PM

Alright well...

here are some pics:

I don't understand why so many details of me are needed. Haven't people seen LCD burn-in by now and know what to do?

Ham Sandwich
Jun 5, 2008, 11:22 PM

Well once again, I have had to go back to doing research:

-
Yes, Virginia, There is “Burn In” On LCD Flat Panels � HDGURU.Com
-

Apparently this is called LCD retention (rather than burn-in).
But anyways, I guess that's about it then.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 02:03 PM

Apple calls it "image persistence."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej
Apparently this is called LCD retention (rather than burn-in).
But anyways, I guess that's about it then.
According to the article, it's not permanent when it comes to LCDs. Turning the display off for an amount of time, or, playing a movie will fix it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules