Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > starting out.

starting out.
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 08:33 PM

i am going to start school shortly for animation on computers 2d 3d anything that i can learn i want to. new to it though, i love to draw and i like to edit videos with the limited software i have. so i am wanting to get a new desk top to do this on. the new imac is awsome but i am wondering if a power mac would be better to do this on or if the imac would be enough for me to get started what do you think i should do i am going to wait for the new os tiger to come out if i can so i do have some time any feedback would be great thanks.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Exizl del Fuego
Nov 1, 2004, 03:54 PM

Im of the opinion that the new iMac will fill the bill pretty well. For a long time I was a major proponent of PowerMacs for my own personal use, feeling that I NEEDED the extra power and expansion capabilities. But in the past few years. I've found that my own perfect setup is actually an iMac/iBook combo for the price of a PowerMac. I've been doing digital design for about two years now and, for the most part, my 1GHz iMac G4 and 800MHz iBook G3 have done me well. There are times when they could be a bit faster, but for 95% of the time they're perfect.

But if you're dead serious about pursuing either 3D animation or Video Editing, maybe a DP PowerMac would be a better choice for you. You'll want all the processing power you can get for 3D, and I imagine those PCI slots would come in handy for DV Editing.

gautch
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 05:44 PM

A new iMac will do fine, and the Power Mac will work even better. But for your money id stick with the iMac....But as Exizl del Fuego said.. you might want thoes extra PCI slots.

Somthing you should look into is what your school is going to be teaching you on. They will teach you Photoshop for textures (maybe even Painter).. But the 3D app might be Platform dependant.. you dont want to get an Apple when they teach you on a SGI or a Windows machine. Unless the main 3D app will work on both.

When you start to take work home and start doing 3d for homework.. you might be stuck if you get an Apple...

I wouldn't buy a new computer till after you start school You wont need it right away. Depending on your school, you probably could wait a full year....

Good luck!

siMac
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2004, 07:08 PM

A little punctuation goes a long way.

|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 11:00 PM

Thank you for the info. Sorry about the puntuation and all, I have had to get use to quick emails all the time so I guess it was just habit. I have found that it definitely goes a long way. I am going to wait and see what they have and go from there. I think that is a very good idea, but would VPC work with an app. like that? Or do you think it would perform poorly? I have my iBook and my iMac 800mhz g4 and I love the OS X. Any time I have to use windows I want to stab the monitor with a k-bar! So if a windows PC could be avoided that would be great.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Forum Links
Forum Rules