Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Rip DVD media to a format editable by FCP or iMovie, lossless..?

Rip DVD media to a format editable by FCP or iMovie, lossless..?
daiSho
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 05:04 PM

hi friends, hoping someone can give me a quick tip here... i am wanting to rip DVD media into a format that is either lossless (or near lossless) that i can edit in FCP or iMovie, and am not sure what software or codec is appropriate for this task... i have read about issues w/ audio sync loss ripping w/ Handbrake into MP4, and really don't want to have that problem...

can anyone point me in the right direction here? i am very new to video editing and NLE's on the OSX platform...

brianb
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 10:49 AM

Well what do you consider lossless?? In order to do what you are doing you will need to convert your video to DV25 codec edit and then put back to a new media. DVD's use mpg2 codec that is generally between4.5 and 8 mb/s. FCP, FCE, iMovie use DV25 which is a 25mb/s codec. DV25 is a higher quality format. If you are editing from a dvd to put to a DV tape you won't see a loss of quality, just the artifacting that comes from the mpg2 file. If you pull from DVD edit in DV and then encode the video again for final output to dvd you will be recompressing the mpg2 artifacts and things will start to look a little more blocky. Any other video format mp4, h264, ect. is not meant for video editing.
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 2, 2005, 10:55 AM

You could do basic MPEG-2 editing with MPEG Streamclip + QT MPEG-2 component.

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2005, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by brianb
Well what do you consider lossless?? In order to do what you are doing you will need to convert your video to DV25 codec edit and then put back to a new media. DVD's use mpg2 codec that is generally between4.5 and 8 mb/s. FCP, FCE, iMovie use DV25 which is a 25mb/s codec. DV25 is a higher quality format. If you are editing from a dvd to put to a DV tape you won't see a loss of quality, just the artifacting that comes from the mpg2 file. If you pull from DVD edit in DV and then encode the video again for final output to dvd you will be recompressing the mpg2 artifacts and things will start to look a little more blocky. Any other video format mp4, h264, ect. is not meant for video editing.
thx for that... any pointer towards software that will allow conversion from .VOB to DV25? i took a look at ffmpegX but it doesn't seem to offer this format in its conversion stable..

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 05:19 AM

I think DiVA does a pretty good job with MPEG-2 to Quicktime conversion.

patriot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2005, 10:28 PM

best application out there is "Cinematize" can pull 4:2:2 uncompressed and convert to quictime for imovie of FCP......can also rip "elementary streams" but dont believe Imovie excepts them yet.have had excellent success with this app, have made quite a few imovies with NO noticeble quality loss, looks excellent.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2005, 03:41 AM

Hi daiSho,

what brianb intended to explain to you:
mpeg2 is a lossy compressor, the data streams result with a bandwith of 4.5 - and 8MB/s for usage on a standard, commercial DVD (of course you can compress much "harder"… my standalone pioneer 550 DVD recorder fits 8h onto a 4.4.gigs dvd-r… and more. don't ask for pic quality )

lossy compression means: there's no way to bring details back!

even if you find a decompressor with a bandwith of 100MB/s… you still fumble with the problem, that the original material has much more detail, colors, lines, whatever…

with the mpeg2 plug-in and the free streamclip tool here you are able to…
"With the Apple MPEG-2 Playback Component, MPEG Streamclip can play muxed MPEG-2 files with MPEG, AC3, PCM audio, transport streams with MPEG or AC3 audio and demuxed MPEG-2 streams, perform high-quality conversion from muxed MPEG-2 files and transport streams with MPEG, AC3, PCM audio to DV/DV50 streams and QuickTime movies with any QuickTime codec, including uncompressed video and DVCPRO HD, at any quality;…"
endquote

with the QT option you can for instance choose "Apple Intermediate" which is the new star of lossless codecs… but, again: you'll NEVER ever reach the quality of un-compressed (yepp, EVERY digital material is in someway compressed )raw material…

hope that makes a few things clear…

Forum Links
Forum Rules