Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ProudestMonkey at MacCentral is banned forever :(

ProudestMonkey at MacCentral is banned forever :(
michaeljohn63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 11:00 AM

I have been registered here for a while now, but haven't hung out much. I've generally hung out over at MacCentral's "General Discussion" forum, until a few days ago, when I WAS BANNED FOREVER!. That's never happened to me before, so I was kind of blown away, especially since I'd had no warning.

You might be wondering why I was banned. Well, I'd had the audacity of confronting MacWorld (which now owns and controls MacCentral) for its botched switch from MacCentral Forums to MacWorld forums (leaving the MacCentral forums orphaned with no way for anyone new to join). This was back last year sometime. Others complained about it too, and they were roundly chastized for it by MacWorld staff, including none other than Jason Snell, MacCentral's Editor-in-Chief. I was so appalled by his attitude toward many of us, I decided not to renew my subscription and let them know about it. I had been less likely to go to MacWorld online for the same reason. Recently, though, I was reading a review of Dashboard by MacWorld. In the comments, someone suggested that the author of the review (Jason Snell) had been unfairly critical of the new software. Snell's response? He said (this is close to but not necessarily a quote): "May I kindly suggest you write your own review. . " Not a big deal, really, if it had been written by another forum member. But, it was written by the author, and editor of the publication. This is typical for this guy, and in previous posts, he's been even more thin-skinned. Anyway, I wrote an email calling him on his response, and suggesting it would be a good idea for Snell's boss to read through his comments in the forums so he/she could see how Snell so typically bashes his own readers/customers. My post was deleted. I wrote another post explaining why I thought mine should not have been deleted. I was then BANNED from ever posting again on either MacWorld or MacCentral. No warning, no email, no private message. Nothing. The next time I posted there, I got an error message, saying I'd been banned. I wrote an email asking about it, and was told "you have been banned due to snarkiness."

Well, although "snarkiness" is not (yet) a word in our language, I guess at MacCentral it means, pointing out that Jason Snell is rude to his own readers and shouldn't be in his position as editor. For that, I was banned. Nice.

In the end, although I am disappointed in MacWorld, and I will miss reading the posts of some very fine people at MacCentral, at least it made the decision for me to end my travels over there, which had been something I'd thought about doing after they orphaned our forums last year (again, with no warning at all). If anyone from MacCentral reads this, I'd really appreciate it if you would tell the rest of the folks over at the forums that ProudestMonkey won't be posting there anymore. You might want to be careful explaining it though, because if you mention my criticism of Jason Snell, you may find yourself banned as well. If anyone is willing to do this, can you let me know. Otherwise, I might be forced to register under another user name and tell everyone myself, which is a hassle, and the post will likely be deleted anyway. Thanks.
[FONT=Garamond]Imagine no religion.[/FONT]

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 11:03 AM

Welcome to MacNN, enjoy the ride!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2005, 11:07 AM

Dunno about the website but Macworld has the weakest editorial content of any Mac magazine and maybe any magazine that I've read.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 11:34 AM

They green-lighted that one add with the topless woman on the ariplane, though, I'll give them that.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 11:37 AM

Well, so what? Leave the drama to the llamas, man.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 11:38 AM

welcome dawg, i'll send them an email and let them know how whack they are.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 11:44 AM

Here at MacNN we encourage snarkiness.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 11:47 AM

Welcome.

Do wipe the tears at the door, though, as there's no crying in MacNN

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by michaeljohn63
Snell's response? He said (this is close to but not necessarily a quote):"May I kindly suggest you write your own review. . "
I am appalled and dismayed at the lack of sensitivity demonstrated by Mr. Snell, and I intend in the future to never, never, ever, ever...um...buy his stuff...or...whatever...

To Summarize:

-Appalled, dismayed.
-Never, never, ever, ever.
-Whatever.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 12:35 PM

Why so snarky, sparky?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 12:39 PM

You're taking the internet way too seriously.

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 12:50 PM

OH NOS!!!111 CALL TEH WAAAAAMBULANCE!!!111one

Who cares if you're banned from some internet forum? Move on.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2005, 01:27 PM

You should meet ca$h.

michaeljohn63  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 01:54 PM

I am moving on, to other forums, like this one. Still, forums have can form a community of great people, even when the administrators of that community bite wank.

\
Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
OH NOS!!!111 CALL TEH WAAAAAMBULANCE!!!111one

Who cares if you're banned from some internet forum? Move on.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 01:56 PM

You might be wondering why I was banned.
no.

But welcome, anyway.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
Here at MacNN we encourage snarkiness.

Yo, welcome

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
You should meet ca$h.
Ugh, just the thought of krash becoming a mod here...

-t

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2005, 02:18 PM

The good old days of Ca$h and his... being annoying. Wait... nevermind.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 02:22 PM

its probably because you are from minnesota

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 02:31 PM

I am moving on, to other forums, like this one. Still, forums have can form a community of great people, even when the administrators of that community bite wank.

\

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH A!

You can tell he hasn't been here long.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 02:33 PM

^^^ michaeljohn63, meet Demonhood and tooki. Enjoy.

-t

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 3, 2005, 02:41 PM

You said, 'snarkiness'? Ban him!

Welcome aboard, and remember to

1. Keep your tray table and seat-backs in their original upright posistions when posting.
2. Remember to read the rules and discard them immediately afterwards in the political loung, if you dare enter.
3. If you ever run into the likes of a reincarnated (Ca$h) creature, don't feed him.
4. Write all this stuff down, why aren't you writing this down!

Meh,

Welcome aboard.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2005, 02:42 PM

You could be 0-2.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 02:45 PM

oh the admins here are cuddly as teddy bears.

why the hell didn't you just keep the proudestmonkey handle? I like that better than your current name. Unless, that is, you have something ELSE to hide.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2005, 02:48 PM

He's been banninated. No longer the proudest. Besides, he could pick proudmonkey68 or John monkey Smith or MonkeyofSteal or Monkphire or CodyMonkee or Monkeyhood.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 02:50 PM

Besides, he could pick proudmonkey68 or John monkey Smith or MonkeyofSteal or Monkphire or CodyMonkee or Monkeyhood.
Mwahahahaha

-t

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jun 3, 2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
oh the admins here are cuddly as teddy bears.

why the hell didn't you just keep the proudestmonkey handle? I like that better than your current name. Unless, that is, you have something ELSE to hide.
Teddy Bears : Laugh :

Yeah, why not keep the ProudestMonkey handle?
BTW: Only ProudestMonkey was banned, and you seem to have recovered with another handle, so why the fuss? It's not like they banned your IP address.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2005, 03:55 PM

Dunno about the website but Macworld has the weakest editorial content of any Mac magazine and maybe any magazine that I've read.

I bitched to them numerous times calling the magazine nothing more than a pamphlet that comes out once a month. That magazine used to be pretty thick back in the early 90's. It used to be great, but now is probably 75% ads.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 04:20 PM

He's been banninated. No longer the proudest. Besides, he could pick...or MonkeyofSteal...
...or gomonkey.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 3, 2005, 05:03 PM

Well, for what it's worth, we don't ban without warning, with the sole exception of spammers, who we ban on the spot since they aren't here to contribute.

We do keep some fairly strict rules here, but they are about formatting and presentation (tone of voice, personal attacks, etc), not on content: we don't censor on content. (Though we'll close threads that are questions that have been asked recently, or are in the wrong place, etc.)

Feel free to ask if you have questions (the feedback forum is the correct place), comments, etc.

tooki

PacHead
Baninated
Jun 3, 2005, 05:07 PM

You're a nobody, a virgin on the internet, until you've been at least banned from a couple of places.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
You're a nobody, a virgin on the internet, until you've been at least banned from a couple of places.

Pffff, as if it was HARD to get banninated.

-t

deomacius
Senior User
Jun 3, 2005, 05:35 PM

I'm a virgin! Yay!

You reap what you sow.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2005, 05:50 PM

'cept Usenet

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 07:35 PM

i've gangbanged 8 ****** guys on aol and cybered with a cow. i am not a internet virgin.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 3, 2005, 07:55 PM

I remember you as "Proudest Monkey" here. Looks like you last posted here just over a month ago. If that's you, why'd you make a new name now?

Are you also "proudestmonkey"?

michaeljohn63  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 08:26 PM

Actually, they didn't just ban ProudestMonkey. They banned ME. I go by a different handle at MacWorld than I do at MacCentral (long story). Both handles were banned.

Originally Posted by budster101
Teddy Bears : Laugh :

Yeah, why not keep the ProudestMonkey handle?
BTW: Only ProudestMonkey was banned, and you seem to have recovered with another handle, so why the fuss? It's not like they banned your IP address.

michaeljohn63  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2005, 08:29 PM

Yeah, its possible I am registered under Proudestmonkey here too, I can't remember. I've switched computers, ISP and email all in the past two months, so I ended up re-registering at a few places. Can you tell me how I can find out the password for Proudestmonkey to post as that handle again?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Xeo
I remember you as "Proudest Monkey" here. Looks like you last posted here just over a month ago. If that's you, why'd you make a new name now?

Are you also "proudestmonkey"?

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bluesky
I am appalled and dismayed at the lack of sensitivity demonstrated by Mr. Snell, and I intend in the future to never, never, ever, ever...um...buy his stuff...or...whatever...

To Summarize:

-Appalled, dismayed.
-Never, never, ever, ever.
-Whatever.
I LAUGHED WAY OUT LOWD. BLUESKY, YOU HAVE A WA3Y WITH WRITTEN EXPRESSION.

BTW, Crap on Snell!
President Bush, Get Out Of Iraq Now!

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
You're taking the internet way too seriously.
FYI, that expression jumped the shark yesterday.

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 09:18 PM

DP!

Eynstyn
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2005, 09:18 PM

In the end, although I am disappointed in MacWorld, and I will miss reading the posts of some very fine people at MacCentral, at least it made the decision for me to end my travels over there, which had been something I'd thought about doing after they orphaned our forums last year (again, with no warning at all). If anyone from MacCentral reads this, I'd really appreciate it if you would tell the rest of the folks over at the forums that ProudestMonkey won't be posting there anymore. You might want to be careful explaining it though, because if you mention my criticism of Jason Snell, you may find yourself banned as well. If anyone is willing to do this, can you let me know. Otherwise, I might be forced to register under another user name and tell everyone myself, which is a hassle, and the post will likely be deleted anyway. Thanks.
I only signed on here a month after you so you have seniority, officially but wtf. Welcome! But let's see which way you go politically before you start lining up for oral pleasures.

As for 'der Schnell' and your bannination from MacCentral what do they say about absolute power
corrupting absolutely? PLEASE tell me he is a democrap! What an azzole eating slime dwelling jerk prick.

I feel better now. How bout you?

See ya in the poli/war lounge.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 11:37 PM

i got banned for the cub scouts because i wouldn't make a car for the pinewood derby. **** those guys - i'll just go post on macnn.com

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2005, 11:41 PM

Nice switch™.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Eynstyn
FYI, that expression jumped the shark yesterday.
"Jumped the shark" jumped the shark last year.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 01:24 PM

Don't worry... to get banned from MacNN... you essentially have to ram your genitals into Demonhood's face...

Or... be Ca$h

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2005, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
Don't worry... to get banned from MacNN... you essentially have to ram your genitals into Demonhood's face...
Wow

Superchicken, are you drunk or what ?

And on a more serious note: how about tooki's face ?

-t

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Superchicken
I, err, uh, dude. Seek therapy.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 11:55 PM

Hey, Welcome here!

MacWorld forums are horrible. I'm serious.

Is Lisa still the managing editor over there? (Lisa Schmeiser) I heard through friends she was going to a new job in SoCal. Think I'll email and find out what happened. She's really great - and funny. The company that owns MacWorld is in some serious deep water when it comes to cash management. I'm surprised that MacWorld is still published, to be honest.

Anyway, that place (their forums) is a huge joke over there. The mods and admins here are so much cooler than anyone over there.

And Jason Snell? He's an ass, IMO.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2005, 11:57 PM

SuperChicken

Or... be Ca$h
Wow, SuperChicken...I'm impressed with your, um, description tonight.

Forum Links
Forum Rules