Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > ANyone out there still using big clunky CRT monitors?

ANyone out there still using big clunky CRT monitors?
bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:44 AM

Lately I've been eyeing flat-screen monitors covetously. I'm still using a 17-inch Apple Studio display -- and it works fine. Maybe it's because I was editing photos this weekend and was sorely needing extra screen real estate but it made me pine, once again, a larger monitor. And if you're going to get a bigger monitor, it might as well be a flat-screen one that will take up a whole lot less space on my desk. As I said, the Studio Display works fine -- and I love having the extra USB slots in it. But i's huge! (And 4 1/2 years old.)

It made me wonder -- how many people are still using the big CRTs? How many are eyeing the world of flat-screens? I know it's stupid but I do like the Apple ones, but I'm not sure the brand, plus the extra slots for peripherals, are worth it.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2005, 10:19 AM

One dude here! Using a huge 21" Apple Studio Display, with FOUR USB ports yeah!.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2005, 11:55 AM

2 22" Lacie CRT's here at work. They are amazing... yet big. I have 2 20" Widescreen LCDs at home. I don't personally have a prefernce between the two other than space considerations. I'm a professional graphic designer, but not a print or web designer and I don't rely on PMS colors and whatnot. So the LCD's slightly oversatutared colors arn't really an issue for me at home.
( Last edited by kulverse; Jun 8, 2005 at 11:59 AM. Reason: for clarification)

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 8, 2005, 04:29 PM

Sony 17".... got it several years ago, still works, can't justify buying a new monitor when the one I have works.

but when I get around to buying a new one... it'll be the biggest LCD apple has available at that time.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2005, 06:01 PM

I just recently retired my NEC 19" CRT in favor of a Dell 1905 fp 19" LCD. I was very happy with my CRT, but the image started going wacky on me recently and I am sending it back to NEC for repairs. My dad agreed to buy it off me to offset the cost of the new dell ($275).
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

thereubster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2005, 07:12 PM

I have an SGI (Sony Trinitron) 22" CRT and HP 19" TFT at work and prefer the CRT still, mainly for its resolution (1600x1200). Its getting a bit fuzzy tho, whereas my TFT is very clear and sharp.
Idiot... Slow down

yaro
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2005, 11:54 PM

Still using a 19" Gateway CRT I bought on ebay 4 years ago. I am hoping one of my kids throws a rock at it to give me justification to buy one of those LCDs.

vtgts500kw
Jun 9, 2005, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by kulverse
2 22" Lacie CRT's here at work. They are amazing... yet big. I have 2 20" Widescreen LCDs at home. I don't personally have a prefernce between the two other than space considerations. I'm a professional graphic designer, but not a print or web designer and I don't rely on PMS colors and whatnot. So the LCD's slightly oversatutared colors arn't really an issue for me at home.
what graphic designing do you do? if your not a print designer or a web(screen) designer.......

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 04:47 AM

21" HP CRT at home
20" HP LCD at work

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2005, 09:36 AM

Can I ask a question? What the difference between a LCD and TFT dsplay?
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

badidea
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2005, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by blackbird_1.0
Can I ask a question? What the difference between a LCD and TFT dsplay?
As far as I know a TFT (Thin Film Transistor) is a special kind of LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)...

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2005, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by vtgts500kw
what graphic designing do you do? if your not a print designer or a web(screen) designer.......
For the big screen baby

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2005, 11:48 PM

I'm currently on the same as you, a 17" CRT Apple Studio. But oddly enough, I ordered my new 20" Apple cinema tonight. I can't wiat till it arrives. I also have a 15" LCD as my second display, but I still need much more real-estate. I want to get a pair of vesa arms too and totally take back my desk.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by badidea
As far as I know a TFT (Thin Film Transistor) is a special kind of LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)...
Its actually a little bit more complex than that, an lcd contains a tft. A liquid crystal display works by having a liquid crystal sandwiched between two pieces of plastic, there are transistors there that turn on and off based on a pixel being lit or dark, on a color screen there is three for every pixel, red green and blue. Most screens have a backlight so that the screen can be seen, but there are also reflective screens that reflect light from another source such as a light bulb. A plasma screen is the same except for using a gas instead of a liquid crystal.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2005, 06:15 AM

Yes I do! A Sony HMD-A220 17"

Its silver, I wanted a screen that matched my G4, I couldn't afford an Apple screen, and all the others in the store were beige.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

bbales  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by l008com
I'm currently on the same as you, a 17" CRT Apple Studio. But oddly enough, I ordered my new 20" Apple cinema tonight. I can't wiat till it arrives. I also have a 15" LCD as my second display, but I still need much more real-estate. I want to get a pair of vesa arms too and totally take back my desk.

I've been reading reviews, and looking at prices -- and you did what I really want to do: order a 20-inch Apple display. I'm so envious...

I'm thinking about it, though, and I just might do it within the next few months. It's kind of hard to justify, b/c the Studio display does work. But sheesh -- I was doing photo editing last night and I had to keep moving things around because of all the open little palettes, etc. It was a pain in the neck. And I just kept dreaming of a bigger screen, and being able to reclaim some of my desk.

Enjoy the screen! When will it arrive?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 11:20 AM

Got rid of my 17" CRT and got a 20" ACD not so long ago for my G5. The G4 still runs with an LG 17" CRT. I've sold one of the CRT's and have another one standing by. Once we update the screen for the G4, I'll have 2 17" CRT's for sale... I love the ACD, takes up so little space, and its nice & big Dissapointed with the Viewsonic 17" CRT we got, so using the LG instead.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2005, 06:12 PM

17" IBM G94 that I got for $5. Can't beat it (til I get the 2005FPW)

OperaMan
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2005, 11:45 PM

Hell ya old 20" NEC goin strong here. I also have a 17" Sony that flickers when my cell goes off. I know when a call is coming in before my phone even makes a sound.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2005, 04:38 AM

NEC FE991SB in black ... 19 inches of heavy goodness (55-60lb monitor)

gonna chuck it for a 20 inch ACD or Dell 20 widescreen sooner or later. depends on price

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2005, 05:03 AM

Have a 15 for the family Mac mini and a PowerBook17 for moi.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2005, 07:26 PM

Dumped both of my CRT monitors for flat panels last year

JMII
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by kulverse
2 22" Lacie CRT's here at work. They are amazing... yet big.
Same here. We do pre-press work so a near-perfect color matching is a MUST... and LCDs just don't cut it yet.

yaro
Forum Regular
Jul 5, 2005, 10:00 PM

I have been looking for a 19 inch lcd with a built-in subwoofer without success. Is there such a beast?

Macrat
Forum Regular
Jul 6, 2005, 03:24 PM

We have the big-honkin' Sony FW900 at work, 24 widescreen inches and like 90lbs of CRT goodness. At home I just have a Dell 2005fpw, but I don't use it for design work.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 6, 2005, 07:20 PM

gave my 2 19" CRTs the boot in favor of a 20" widescreen LCD. i don't regret it.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jul 6, 2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by yaro
I have been looking for a 19 inch lcd with a built-in subwoofer without success. Is there such a beast?
A subwoofer in an LCD monitor?

That's just not the way to go. What's wrong with a separate sub? A sub in a monitor is going to sound like crap... subs have to move a little air.

I didn't want the space/wiring of a sub though, I got a pair of Edirol MA15Ds... AWESOME.

indigoimac
Senior User
Jul 13, 2005, 06:14 PM

I just bought a 19" Samsung SyncMaster 997DF CRT for my PC and I've been very pleased, I'll definently buy another if I get a new mac.
15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz i7 4GB RAM 6490M 120GB OWC 6G SSD 500GB HD
15" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz C2D 2GB RAM 8600M GT 200GB HD
17" C2D iMac 2.0GHz 2GB RAM x1600 500GB HD

•syzygy•
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 16, 2005, 12:37 AM

Got a Viewsonic 19" G90fb here after my old 17" B&W StudioDisplay died.
http://viewsonic.com/products/deskto...90fb/index.htm
Though it is a good monitor for the price. It's geometry is not the quality of the old Apple. It is bright and has good color. It is sensitive to vibrations with good sharpness. I use it at 1600x1200 at 75 Hz Millions. Any higher settings are at 60Hz and flicker too much for my eyes. If i had to do it again I would spand the extra 30-40 for the similar NEC with trinitron.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2005, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon
I just recently retired my NEC 19" CRT in favor of a Dell 1905 fp 19" LCD. I was very happy with my CRT, but the image started going wacky on me recently and I am sending it back to NEC for repairs. My dad agreed to buy it off me to offset the cost of the new dell ($275).
Where in the world did you find the 1905fp for that cheap?

I'm looking to get a Samsung SyncMaster 710N-2 17" because I don't want to drop $400 on a monitor.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2005, 11:27 PM

B&W 17" Studio CRT (diamondtron inside).....still as clear, crisp and sharp as the day I bought it (in 1999).

Have had several other CRTs set next to it over the years, and have yet to find one better, old OR new, except for the 21" ASD of the same era.....

If I could find a NEW or almost new 21"er, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

asb819
Aug 24, 2005, 01:06 AM

1993 HP 17" CRT here.... It's amazing how bearable it is to use with OSX. It was hooked up to a Windows 98 machine before. I'm hoping to upgrade to a 17" Samsung LCD at some point.

tigas
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2005, 10:32 PM

If my Sony F500T9 21" flat Trinitron hadn't burned up a year ago, I'd be using it until it burned up.

Since I didn't have the money to buy a good LCD at the time and was sure the basic technology was still going to evolve, I got a Hyundai 19" CRT for the equivalent of 200 dollars. Maybe next year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules