Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Happy with Tiger?

View Poll Results: TSI (Tiger Satisfaction Index)
Poll Options:
Extremely satisifed 44 votes (34.38%)
Very Satisified 41 votes (32.03%)
Satisifed 19 votes (14.84%)
Slightly dissatisfied 11 votes (8.59%)
Very dissatisfied 2 votes (1.56%)
Don't have 10.4 yet 11 votes (8.59%)
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll
Happy with Tiger?
Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2005, 09:51 PM

Since there have been a few threads on people having problems with Tiger, thought we could do a poll.

Personally, I think it's great. It has a few bugs but what OS doesn't have any bugs? I think it's as big a leap as Panther was to Jaguar though I wish Apple did a better job explaining things, such as Spotlight.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 09:57 PM

ManOfSteal [heart] Tiger.

EdGein
Banned
Jul 21, 2005, 10:04 PM

Yeah.. best OS yet.

If they made the whole OS have one unified GUI, that would be even better.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2005, 10:25 PM

I think Tiger is in a different category than previous versions of OS X.
10.4 has plenty of bugs and the inevitable share of stupid decisions Apple have accustomed us for the past years but it's undoubtedly a very usable and stable release compared to the beta-grade crap we've been using all this time.

It's the first version of OS X capable of updating the filesystem in real time, as unbelievable as it sounds. That alone says everything. Go Tiger.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:47 PM

My G5 was unstable at first, but an archive and install/update to 10.4.2 seven days ago seems to have done the trick. It is now teh snappy. My Powerbook has loved it since day one.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
it's undoubtedly a very usable and stable release compared to the beta-grade crap we've been using all this time.

It's the first version of OS X capable of updating the filesystem in real time, as unbelievable as it sounds. That alone says everything. Go Tiger.
M... m... maxx...imo? I... i...s that y... you??

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

dragonfly006
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2005, 11:19 PM

Did the research, waited for 10.4.2, installed, all is well. Haven't looked back, very happy

discotronic
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2005, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by mAxximo
I think Tiger is in a different category than previous versions of OS X.
10.4 has plenty of bugs and the inevitable share of stupid decisions Apple have accustomed us for the past years but it's undoubtedly a very usable and stable release compared to the beta-grade crap we've been using all this time.

Someone hijacked mAxximo's account. The real mAxximo must have been kidnapped.

mAxximo
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 12:01 AM

LOL, I've been saying that for a long time now, where have you guys been?

Randman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2005, 12:43 AM

I must have fallen into an alternate dimension. Not only did Maxximo make sense, his comments seemed fair and thought-out.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 12:51 AM

Apple is doing its best.

I want to use all the features of Tiger, but I'm not really one to learn new tricks. For example, if I wanted to open a file, I use the Finder, not Spotlight. All my years of computer use has taught me to use a file browser to open files. Now with Tiger, OS X has so many new features I have to remember to use them. Once I get it down, I know it'll save me time in the future.

But one thing that did catch on automatically is Automater (no pun intended). I've had this idea myself, and it's sort of how my brain works, so any time I get a chance to use Automater I'm thrilled. The only problem I'm having with it is download pictures off a website. They need more options for that action, such as being able to select a size limit for the pictures before you download them. That way, you don't end up with little spacing gifs and smileys, toolbars, etc. Hopefully it will get better with future Tiger updates and reach maturity with Leopard.

Of course I may learn to use Tiger's features faster now with my new job.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2005, 01:30 AM

I like Tigers big features, and I like the little things that were added or improved (though there are other little things they took out that I miss). Tiger didn't break anything for me. It didn't make anything slower, or crash more.

*wishes he could think of a use for Automator, though, as it seems neat*
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 01:42 AM

I'd like to see iChat 3 fixed. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with Tiger.

mindwaves
Jul 22, 2005, 01:48 AM

I'm slightly disatisfied. Not too impressed with it. Hardly use any of the new features. Slightly buggy for me also.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 12:27 PM

Yeah I voted 'Very Satisfied'. There's always room for improvement.

10.4.2 seems as stable to be as 10.3.9 was (for me) and I'm enjoying the extra new features. Seems to be a small improvement in speed/responsiveness, though that could always be placebo.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2005, 03:09 PM

I love Tiger... I never had any problems with it and it runs great on all machines. Panther sucked and I'm glad there's finally a decent OS out there called Tiger.

brother337
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2005, 06:38 PM

I think Panther may have been a hair quicker for me. Expose is definitely choppier (at least on my mac mini) with Tiger. I'm not noticing a huge difference in overall experience, but I do like spotlight a lot. Dashboard is growing on me. Mail and Safari are quicker and more stable for me. I love the new H.264 codec, but it's a monster on the CPU.

Overall I'm very happy with the upgrade.
15" MacBook Pro Core2Duo 2.33
160gig PMR HD / 2 GB RAM

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by TheSpaz
I love Tiger... I never had any problems with it and it runs great on all machines. Panther sucked and I'm glad there's finally a decent OS out there called Tiger.
Welcome to the Light Side™.

JoHoNew
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 09:22 PM

I put myself in the 'very satisfied' camp...I must agree with wulf...there's always room for improvement. I've had a few minor problems with the previous two incantations of Tiger and 10.4.2 finally allows me to stay online using Aiport for as long as I need to. I'm impressed with the speed doing a cold boot...approximately 40 seconds from power on until I can get computing. I can't remember exactly, but it sure seems as if it's the fastest booting Mac (iMac G5, 2 GB RAM, 1.8 GHZ) I've ever had, (out of probably 35-40 Macs I've owned over the years.)

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 24, 2005, 09:56 PM

I can't wait to get a copy.. bidding on one now... $20.00 Hope I win. <poor>

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2005, 10:09 PM

Love Spotlight. Can't live without it anymore. I've got nearly 200 scientific PDF files, and I no longer need to maintain multiple indexes/libraries in Acrobat Pro... just drop 'em all in one big folder and let Spotlight sort them out when I search for a (any) topic.

And although I'm quite the Automator novice, I can see its potential as a very powerful tool. Whipped up a quickie the other day to resize some images - no need to bring up Photoshop. MacOSXHints posted a nice tip on making an "Erase CDRW" Finder plug-in. Very handy... used it tonight.

Overall, 10.4 (10.4.2) also has more spit and polish than 10.3 did. Its also been very stable for me. Some have found it crash-prone, but its been every bit as stable as 10.3.9 was.

michaeljohn63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 11:57 PM

Jaguar and Panther felt like must have upgrades. Surprisingly, despite what others have said about Tiger, this is THE upgrade I didn't really think I needed, and now that I have it, know I didn't need. There is nothing all that new in Tiger that is really there yet. Spotlight, Automator and Dashboard are terrific ideas, but are all still in their infancy. I'd guess that sometime next year, there will be a third party who gathers them all up, makes them more usable, and sells the package for around $50. I'll probably buy it. Right now, though, they feel like seedlings with a lot of potential, but very young.
[FONT=Garamond]Imagine no religion.[/FONT]

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2005, 12:06 AM

I did a fresh install and I did not have any major problems. 10.4.2 is rock solid and the gfx are even faster.

I love the speed of Safari.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

mhodos
Jul 25, 2005, 04:18 PM

I voted "Slightly Dissatisfied," because of iChat 3. Video chatting with iSight is a big deal for me and my spread out family. It worked terrifically in 10.3.9 but I hadn't been able to have a video chat with anyone until yesterday and even then, it only worked when I was chatted, not when I chatted them.

if iChat 3 worked as well as advertised, I would be "Extremely Satisfied."

Also, I may have missed the system requirements for multi-party chat before it was actually released, but those requirements are pretty steep, as well. That part doesn't really play into my dissatisfaction, though.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Jul 25, 2005, 04:58 PM

Slightly dissatisfied here. I expect more from Apple in their OS. The satillite apps I don't care so much about, but the OS has to be 100%. There are still annoying bugs in Tiger and some new ones introduced BUT it is by far the most solid and featur rich OS X yet and that makes me pleased. It is fast and it works. FTFF though.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Forum Links
Forum Rules