Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Input on Portfolio Site

Input on Portfolio Site
Exizl del Fuego
Nov 12, 2005, 09:18 PM

Hey all, I've just designed and coded a webpage for my design endeavors and am really loving how it's turned out. There's just one issue I keep going back and forth on -- and it's kind of a big issue. As it stands, the site is straight red+white and I love it like that. But I'm afraid it might be too contrast-y. My guess is that if I have to ask, it is. But I just wanted to get some quick, outside, knee-jerk opinions... if you'd be so kind. Thanks!

http://www.ryansdesigns.com

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 13, 2005, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Exizl del Fuego
Hey all, I've just designed and coded a webpage for my design endeavors and am really loving how it's turned out. There's just one issue I keep going back and forth on -- and it's kind of a big issue. As it stands, the site is straight red+white and I love it like that. But I'm afraid it might be too contrast-y. My guess is that if I have to ask, it is. But I just wanted to get some quick, outside, knee-jerk opinions... if you'd be so kind. Thanks!

http://www.ryansdesigns.com

I only have one technical suggestion, the rest deals with content.

The technical suggestion is to get into URL rewriting so that your URLs are not in the form of:

Code:
blah.php?page=whatever
The problem with generating dynamic content via GET variables is that, last I checked, Google doesn't do as good a job picking these URLs up, it favors permanent URLs (I believe this one of the reasons why blogs have "permalinks").

You can use mod_rewrite to dynamically convert your URLs into something like:

Code:
/pagename

My main suggestions have to do with your content though. Who is your target audience? Are you trying to attract employers, or other people within the geek community? At times, it seems to me like you favor the latter.

Instead of telling us why you favor W3C and XHTML/CSS, tell us exactly what you can do for a potential client looking for a website. This sort of technical detail is absolutely meaningless to them.

Think user-centered design, read up a little on usability and identifying and targeting your demographic.

I hope you don't mind me saying this, this is just my knee-jerk reaction.

Your design looks great, the code looks awesome. I can tell you are really competent and talented.

Exizl del Fuego  (op)
Nov 13, 2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks, those are exactly the sort of comments I'm looking for. I've been working on this in a bit of a vacuum, so getting some outside opinions really helps.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2005, 04:42 PM

You talk about "When the college years first began" and "taking classes" on your website. That automatically places you in the "novice" realm in many people's books (I'm playing devil's advocate here).

If you end goal is to acquire small business as clients, you may want to remove all references to you being in college... and focus on "the/your business"...

School work should become "a current project"

Just my 2¢ (it may even get you another $5 an hour )

nayr x
Forum Regular
Nov 15, 2005, 05:31 PM

As far as the design, graphically, here is what firts struck me:

I like the bold red on white for sure. Also, the subtle greyness of the text bodies adds something too. The navigation is a bit combersome, dealing primarily with the white graphics up top. For a prospective client coming in, it would help to streamline the ordering a bit, and perhapse giving more descriptive names to the links (when I first saw the "print" link juxtapoised the default text-file icon, my first impression was that it was intended to print the current page on screen.) Maybe append it to read "Printed Media" or something to that effect. Just my opinion.

Other than that, I just agree with some of the other comments. Although there IS something to be said for representing yourself as a small, independent graphic artist, I would consider the choices you make in phrasing some of your past work examples. Calling something a "school project" instead of just a "project" does detract from the credibility in some cases.

Lastly, the "screen" section made very little sense to me. Again, It seemed more a place to brag about shool projects than a page marketing your services. The link name is confusing as well. I am still not sure why it is called "screen" or what the information on the page has to do with anything concerining your business.

SO, to rap up what has become a ramble:

Focus on your target audience, and tailor the experiece to meet there needs and answer their questions. Your "chatter" and "screen" sections seemed quite irrelevant if your target is attracting clients. I would consider clearly listing your services foremost, and any sidenotes/sideprojects/bloglike commentary I would consider keeping in a sepertae section, listed last.

Just my opinions.
I do think it has the makings of a very viable site.

(Perpetuating detached, existentialist ennui since 2001)

cgmpowers
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2005, 12:23 PM

As one whose finishing up my graphic design degree this spring and will be re-entering the workforce in my new found career shift...you want to detach yourself from the acedemic terminology ASAP. You also want to make sure every single "school related, acedemic related looking" project be removed from your hard copy and your online portfolios.

I like the color scheme of your website, its nice. A little too "overpowering" with the words on each page...in fact, I didn't read anything beyond the first two or three sentances and I think, to me, that would say volumes. You need more samples of your work. I'd redo the top buttons to "design and or print", "web", "tech". Loose the "services" as its redundant".. Make your main pages THE points under services... Most importantly, ditch "Chatter" or condense it to maybe ONE paragraph if ABSOLUTELY must have...

People browsing to your website don't want to READ about you, they really don't. Your an artist, a designer, a graphical person.. Show them by images and not words, terminology, opinions, etc.. You get an interview with a client then they'll want to SEE your work & not hear about your life and opinions. I was totally turned off with the 'chatter' feature. I know blogging is popular but when you're selling yourself as a professional, it can be a big...big turn-off. I love Apple, Mac and Steve Jobs too but I don't want to read about it on someones website that I might want to hire for a website or logo design.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by cgmpowers
People browsing to your website don't want to READ about you, they really don't. Your an artist, a designer, a graphical person.. Show them by images and not words, terminology, opinions, etc.. You get an interview with a client then they'll want to SEE your work & not hear about your life and opinions. I was totally turned off with the 'chatter' feature. I know blogging is popular but when you're selling yourself as a professional, it can be a big...big turn-off. I love Apple, Mac and Steve Jobs too but I don't want to read about it on someones website that I might want to hire for a website or logo design.
Repeated for emphasis.

My first impression on the wayfinding/topics of the site: Less words. More images.

Cut "chatter".

Build your site around your work, not around you.
( Last edited by scottiB; Dec 5, 2005 at 11:28 PM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2005, 10:18 PM

I like this part:

<!--Non-Compliance Warning-->
<div class='hidden'>
<h1>ATTENTION:</h1>
<p>If you can read this, then you have either opted to disable CSS support, or you are using a substandard browser. This page is coded in XHTML+CSS which allows for the abstraction of styling from the actual page code, leading to clean XHTML markup and managable webpage styling. To take full advantage of this page — and the web in general — I would advise you upgrade to a standards-compliant web browser (sadly, this excludes all versions of Internet Explorer). Although there are many such browsers out there, <a href='http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/'>Firefox</a> is a sure bet. Rejoice as you move out from under the Dark Ages of the Internet!</p>

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Exizl del Fuego  (op)
Dec 6, 2005, 03:38 AM

Things have been pretty busy on my end so I apologize for not getting back out here and commenting. I really appreciate all the comments provided; you all have given me a lot to think about. I've tweaked it a little since I first posted here, but nothing major. Once the time becomes available I really look forward to sitting down and cranking out a solid update addressing both the concerns provided here as well as some concerns of my own.

It could just be my naivety, but I strongly believe that working with other people to achieve the best possible results is just as important as the the result itself. To that end, I want my clients to know something about me and where I'm coming from. But it's become apparent that I've allowed this belief to become so paramount that it's overtaken the very reason for the site.That said, I've begun laying the groundwork for a second site focused around me and my personal interests, which should help me focus my business site on business. It's something I should have done from the get-go, but I was hoping to strike some sort of balance. Make no mistake, I still intend to have some level of personal injection into the business site (for the reason stated above), but I plan on it being much more subtle than it is now so as not to distract from the business intent of the site.

The comments here have been very constructive and I'm very grateful for each one of them.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2005, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by scottiB
Repeated for emphasis.

My first impression on the wayfinding/topics of the site: Less words. More images.

Cut "chatter".

Build your site around your work, not around you.
Hmmm.... That sounds a bit terse. Sorry 'bout that. I do like your work.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

tpicco
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2005, 11:33 AM

I know nothing about web design, but I have been a print designer since 1979... I saw your site today for the first time... and I think you need to fix the awful type kerning/spacing on the DESIGN page... there are HUGE gaps in the text...

Otherwise, visually it is attractive, but not attractive enough to inspire me to use you as a designer immediately... but I would definitely consider you...

Forum Links
Forum Rules