Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > TubeStick: TV on your Mac ~$75

TubeStick: TV on your Mac ~$75
badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 11:12 AM

http://www.equinux.com/us/products/tubestick/index.html

TubeStick is available immediately. The product will be sold through Apple Retailers and in the equinux Online Store. The equinux Online Store currently ships to the following countries: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Luxembourg, Holland and Sweden

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 02:06 PM

is this any better than eyetv hybrid? it sure is a lot cheaper.

badsey  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2007, 03:46 PM

f1000
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 06:47 PM

Cool, but it won't work in the U.S., not until Equinux puts out a device that's compatible with ATSC.

http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...b-hdtv-tuners/

swatson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2007, 12:04 AM

It isn't tiny, but at $70 it is affordable. I just bought a Miglia evolution Tv, and use eyetv software (it is better than miglia's own). I have been really happy with it. Comes with a remote (but the remote feels cheap), and I don't care for the form factor, but it does a great job.

I originally saw the deal at edealinfo.com, but it looks like jr.com still has the deal.

JR.com: Miglia Tech Evolution TV Digital Video Capture and Recorder for Macintosh in Video Capture:

FYI

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 11, 2007, 02:16 AM

swatson:

get the latest Miglia software and try and record in MP4 for iPod high quality. You'll have a file you can put into iTunes and onto the iPod as soon as you stop recording.

Now do the same in EyeTV. If you click on the iPod button, you've started software encoding, which takes a while.
If you want to avoid software encoding, you have to select the recording in the EyeTV Programs window. Then click on File>Export, look for Native Formats in the middle of the Format combo box, and select MPEG4. Then drag the resulting file into iTunes.

Make a DVD of a show. In Miglia's, record the show in MPEG2. Select the show in the schedules window and post process, moviegate to make the DVD.

In EyeTV, record, select the show in the programs window, click Toast. Toast is good. What if you don't own Toast? File>Export to iDVD, take a long time to encode to DV and then back to MPEG2.

EyeTV has more powerful scheduling capabilities than the Miglia software, but both use TitanTV, and you can use the website for scheduling on either. EvolutionTV permitted scheduling from iCal, but I don't know that this is really practical.

The EyeTV hybrid and 250 don't come with remotes. Pinnacle's comes with a cheap remote, and they use EyeTV Lite, so you lose the powerful scheduling (no repeating schedules are allowed to be set up. ) 250 can't do mp4. EvolutionTV can, in both softwares.

In the end, each has its benefits. EyeTV is a really nice PVR. It's a pain if you want to have content ready for the iPod and tv. EvolutionTV software is a little rough, but doesn't have that problem. It depends on what your goal is - full featuread PVR that requires many steps to use the hardware you purchased to get video for tv fast, or a device that has software that's a little clunky, but it gets you the file types you need immediately.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2007, 08:54 PM

Slingbox!

I can even watch on my Windows Mobile smartphone

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 12, 2007, 12:29 PM

Sure, but that's an entirely different idea, and sling controls your TV, so if someone's watching at home and you change the channel, it's changed for them as well.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 17, 2007, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
Sure, but that's an entirely different idea, and sling controls your TV, so if someone's watching at home and you change the channel, it's changed for them as well.
Not the Slingbox Tuner. Just a box with an RF/Cable in and an ethernet out.

yaro
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2007, 11:58 AM

Cadaver,
What box is that? Care to share?

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 18, 2007, 09:39 PM

I've got the HDHomeRun tuner on hand right now. It's a dual HD tuner (two coax, ota and qam on each) and ethernet port out.

It's very clunky to use, but it runs the stream out over rtsp, so VLC can see it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by yaro View Post
Cadaver,
What box is that? Care to share?
http://us.slingmedia.com/page/slingboxtuner.html

aiglimboo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2007, 08:59 PM

Bad Miglia customer service + Evolution TV software buggy = NG!!!!!!!

Buggy Software, sort of UB, bad documentation, poor testing by manufacturer: stay away!

MacIntel owners be notified: Evolution TV application v2.7 is not fully functional on Intel machines. I have a 17" MBP and had lots of difficulties.

Despite claims and descriptions that say it is a universal binary, some features do not work. Installation was not clear thanks to old documentation. Had to install and uninstall 3 times until all plugins were installed. The bundled MovieGate plug-in v1.0.2 (also claimed to be a UB) definitely does not work. It kept telling me my MPEG-2 recordings were Divx or MPEG-4 recordings and rejecting them, and refusing to burn a DVD. Migilia customer support told me I must be doing something wrong because they had no problems. 10 days later they admitted they did their tests on a PPC. That was 2 weeks ago and they still haven't updated the software or reduced the claims of what this product can do. Perhaps Apple is buying them up and that's why they don't want to take the trouble to fix their claims.

Clicking inside of software while recording can lead to app crashing.
Sometimes app had errors while recording.
Out-of-date documentation. Follow the installer, not the manual.

Could be a great item if the company would stand behind what they sell and get the software up to speed or at least not advertise it does things it doesn't.

Only a combination of 2 new beta elements, resulted in being able to burn a DVD from the app. Unless you like having to beta test the products you pay for STAY AWAY.

http://forums.macnn.com/images/smilies/bang.gif

Evolution TV v 2.7
MG Plugin 1.0.2
MBP 17"
USB 2.0
OS 10.4.8
NTSC video
( Last edited by aiglimboo; Mar 22, 2007 at 09:01 PM. Reason: for clarity)

bouda
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2007, 11:32 AM

So if I just want to use my mac as a t.v. in my apartment, hooked up to my cable, I can use the Miglia evolution Tv?

Forum Links
Forum Rules