Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Your top 10 things to do with your new iMac

Your top 10 things to do with your new iMac
SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 05:08 PM

...or new computer.

As recently noted, I got a new 2008 3ghz iMac.
I've moved my stuff over and am still acclimatizing myself to it. So far I haven't done anything more exciting than running parallels (which is cool and freaky at the same time).

What are the top things you would do when you got a new Mac? My last machine was a PowerMac G4 (upgraded), so I feel like I have a bit of catching up to do.
Any Suggestions?
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 05:24 PM

Benchmark it.

Benchmark network performance. Optimize if necessary - especially if you're on wireless.

Max out the RAM.

Think about your versioning and backup strategy.

Buy fancy peripherals.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jul 14, 2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Benchmark network performance. Optimize if necessary - especially if you're on wireless.
Now this is interesting. How does one go about optimising network performance? My knowledge of networking (wireless or otherwise) is dreadful.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 05:54 PM

Watch a 1080p trailer in fullscreen.

I did, and coming from a G4 that could barely do 480p it was amazing.

Get a Mini DVi adapter and set up a second monitor to run Parallels.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 11:22 PM

Buy an external hard drive to use with Time Machine.
Max out the RAM.
Buy a USB hub or 2.
Buy a UPS.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 15, 2008, 01:39 AM

Bootcamp it up and play some current games (or older ones for 1/5th the price of the 'ports').

Study every pixel for any slight abnormality and start a post on MacNN about how Apple's QA is in the dumps, or how LCD's are not as cool as CRT's are for design, or how the colour temperature between your iMac and iPhone don't match up.

Bring back the square pixels!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 02:25 PM

Launch every application, then switch through them as fast as possible.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 12:36 PM

1) Plug the keyboard and mouse into the iMac.
2) Boot it up.
3) Enjoy the new sexiness.
4) Watch a HD trailer.
5) Play an awesome game.
6) Max the RAM.
7) Set up Time Machine.
8) Find something that doesn't matter at all to complain about.
9) Make a thread in the Feedback lounge forum about how MacNN looks so amazing on the screen.
10) Restore the relationships that you've inadvertently ruined while playing with your new iMac

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2008, 11:22 AM

1.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
2.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
3.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
4.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
5.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
6.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
7.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
8.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
9.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.
10.Forget I ever owned a 15" MBP with a bad nvidea chip (two bad logic boards), 3 dead magsafes, one blown superdrive, a battery buldge, and warped lid.

etc.

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules