Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Less People Around now

Less People Around now (Page 2)
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2009, 02:41 PM

I've always wondered if MikeM32 just stopped posting or finally offed himself...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2009, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
I've always wondered if MikeM32 just stopped posting or finally offed himself...
I thought he left to "straighten out his life" (i.e.:go into rehab for a drinking problem). I think there is an old, old thread where he popped up a while after he left to say he was making progress on his recovery but he wasn't going to have much of an online presence any more. Let's hope he did make progress and is living a nice, stable (i.e.: sober) life.
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Jun 21, 2009 at 07:54 PM. Reason: removed duplicate period.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2009, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy View Post
Let's hope he did make progress and is living a nice, stable (i.e.: sober) life..
Let's hope so!

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2009, 06:33 PM

Yes, he did drop by once. I am not sure if I remember this correctly, but I think he was living in supported housing at the time. I really hope he's ok, he was a decent guy.

Then of course there were the epic Zimphire threads. The 16th chapel and the anal sex conversations were easily some of the best entertainment the internets have to offer.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 21, 2009, 06:40 PM

Did he come back under another name? MikeM32 was banned Oct 18 2002.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2009, 06:47 PM

was later MikeM33

Cold Warrior
Jun 21, 2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Did he come back under another name? MikeM32 was banned Oct 18 2002.
He continued posting under MikeM33 then went off the grid in August 2003.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2009, 06:55 PM

flashbacks...

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Yes, he did drop by once. I am not sure if I remember this correctly, but I think he was living in supported housing at the time. I really hope he's ok, he was a decent guy.
That's it. It was some kind of transitional housing to help get him back on his feet.

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
Then of course there were the epic Zimphire threads. The 16th chapel and the anal sex conversations were easily some of the best entertainment the internets have to offer.
Yeah, it's take some real old-timer to remember tnproud2b/Zimphire/Kevin and his 30,000+ posts. That thread (16th chapel) gets dug up about once a year when people get nostalgic for the "good old days". I think I resurrected it once myself to use as a reference when arguing with someone else regarding the naming of the Sistine Chapel*. We really should have a Classic Threads sticky with links to threads like that. There are four or five Ca$h threads that could be included in such a list as well as the Terry Schiavo posting orgy. (I think the Terry Schiavo thread was the first and only MacNN thread to hit 1000 posts in 24 hours.)

*And for the record, it was named after Pope Sixtus IV. It's name, when romanised becomes Cappela Sistina and when anglicised becomes Sistine Chapel.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 07:50 AM

I've virtually stopped coming here and I think the early part of this thread is a good example why.

The OP made a comment about how quiet it is here, less threads, people etc and it almost instantly got derailed.

I'm sure my post will get flamed/ridiculed that seems to be the norm around here which is why maybe less people are coming here.
~Mike

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2009, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
I've virtually stopped coming here and I think the early part of this thread is a good example why.

The OP made a comment about how quiet it is here, less threads, people etc and it almost instantly got derailed.

I'm sure my post will get flamed/ridiculed that seems to be the norm around here which is why maybe less people are coming here.
Pretty sure that most forums have less traffic during the summer months. Seems to be less people on XBL as well. Bars with terraces and lots of pretty girls wearing not much summer clothing tend to do well though. I wonder why?

If anyone posts in the MacNN lounge and doesn't realise that there is the potential of getting royally reamed by what is posted, then they shouldn't post.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2009, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Bars with terraces and lots of pretty girls wearing not much summer clothing tend to do well though.
So... ...Plage de Pampelonne then.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Pretty sure that most forums have less traffic during the summer months. Seems to be less people on XBL as well. Bars with terraces and lots of pretty girls wearing not much summer clothing tend to do well though. I wonder why?
I'm curious to know if the downward track this year is worse, the same or better then other summers. I've been here for a while and it is a lot quieter then years before, at least by my unscientific perspective. Also as the OP stated not just the lounge but the other forums here as well.

If anyone posts in the MacNN lounge and doesn't realise that there is the potential of getting royally reamed by what is posted, then they shouldn't post.
And that's probably why people stop coming here/posting in the lounge
~Mike

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2009, 09:26 AM

A lot of the people who used to made the lounge interesting have drifted away.

Maxelson
Daimoni
2proud2B
DevilsRancher
Philzilla
Boots
Voyageur

Thankfully there are other parts of these them internets where they're still alive and posting.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2009, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post

See, I think that threadcrapping and derailing are just part of any off-topic forum - it's like if you were having a conversation in real life with a group of people. You wouldn't stay on one single topic the entire time, would you?

I like the lounge. It's entertaining, although not as entertaining as it was when macgeek2005 was posting constantly. I miss him.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

RhymesWithOrange
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2009, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Frankly, I'd be insulted that I'm Number 2 behind Laminar (Obviously this guy has no sense of history, or present, really, since I barely post in the Lounge), though with a join date of Dec 2008 and this kind of outspoken behavior, its more likely he's either a former member or an fool. Probably both.
Thank you for so eloquently making my point Dakar.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by RhymesWithOrange View Post
Thank you for so eloquently making my point Dakar.
Not really. You came back and posted, so obviously I'm not doing a that good of a job of driving people away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules