Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Flies are animals now?

Flies are animals now? (Page 2)
Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Who is being priggish about grammar?
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...w/#post3853022

Tiresias
Jun 24, 2009, 01:49 AM

Listen Dakar, listen very carefully.

This began when Laminar questioned my use of a word. I used my dictionary in self-defense.

Rinse and repeat.

The tone of the whole exchange was pretty obviously jocose. But if, context and tone be damned, you insist on calling someone a grammar prig, let it be the person who raised the question of word usage.

The tiresome irony here is that now you are being a complete prig.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 02:32 AM

<removed animated graphic that was so over the top that it was down the other side>
( Last edited by ghporter; Jun 24, 2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Geeeeeezzzzzzz!)

Tiresias
Jun 24, 2009, 02:47 AM

Am I being a prig if I point out that there should be a space between this and thread and thread and sucks?

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 12:42 PM

<< is still confused why eating animals is bad, but eating plants is OK to some dietary belief groups. That head of lettuce may not have cute puppy-dog eyes, a great personality, or even a method of communication that we can understand...but it is alive, is it not? Even if the fruit falls off the tree, who are we to deprive the soil of the nutrients gained by letting it rot?

Save the tomatoes!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2009, 01:01 PM

Listen Dakar, listen very carefully.

This began when Laminar questioned my use of a word. I used my dictionary in self-defense.

Rinse and repeat.

The tone of the whole exchange was pretty obviously jocose. But if, context and tone be damned, you insist on calling someone a grammar prig, let it be the person who raised the question of word usage.
This is how you act when you get and are participating in a joke?

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...w/#post3852854

The tiresome irony here is that now you are being a complete prig.
Oh, I've never claimed to be anything less than an elitist when it comes perception of humor on these forums.

Better than being a damned Grammar Nazi.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by ringo View Post
<< is still confused why eating animals is bad, but eating plants is OK to some dietary belief groups. That head of lettuce may not have cute puppy-dog eyes, a great personality, or even a method of communication that we can understand...but it is alive, is it not? Even if the fruit falls off the tree, who are we to deprive the soil of the nutrients gained by letting it rot?

Save the tomatoes!
It's not OK to eat animals for the same reason it's not OK to eat people. Plants are mindless and don't care what you do to them. It's not that hard to grasp if you aren't being intentionally thick.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 02:48 PM

If a calf is killed painlessly and doesn't bleat, couldn't someone make the same argument that it also doesn't care what happens to it?

Plants don't move in the same time scale that you're used to and don't communicate using signals that you have the sense organs to understand, but they do have memory and exhibit behavior consistent with intelligence and learning.

Fun read: Aspects of Plant Intelligence -- TREWAVAS 92 (1): 1 -- Annals of Botany

As for me being intentionally thick...I'm not the one deciding what life forms are OK to kill and what aren't based on how capable they are of expressing themselves the same way humans do.

I'm an omnivore. I make judgments about what to eat based on what's healthy, readily available, and affordable. I don't question your right to make judgments based on other criteria, but I disagree with the moral outrage some vegetarians display about food choices when we're all eating life.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 03:14 PM

If a calf is killed painlessly and doesn't bleat, couldn't someone make the same argument that it also doesn't care what happens to it?
If you are killed painlessly and don't scream, couldn't someone make the same argument that you don't care what happens to you?

Only if they were being intentionally thick.

Plants don't move in the same time scale that you're used to and don't communicate using signals that you have the sense organs to understand, but they do have memory and exhibit behavior consistent with intelligence and learning.

Fun read: Aspects of Plant Intelligence -- TREWAVAS 92 (1): 1 -- Annals of Botany
And? You've illustrated nothing of importance. Computers are capable of learning (heck, they just can't get enough memory these days), but they are not sentient beings. That paper demonstrates that plants display certain behaviors that resemble very rudimentary intelligence, not that plants have minds and hearts. This is a very basic philosophy exercise. Why is it wrong to kill people?

I don't question your right to make judgments based on other criteria, but I disagree with the moral outrage some vegetarians display about food choices when we're all eating life.
I'm sure you'd be just as equanimous if somebody decided to snack on your mom.
Chuck
___

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
<removed animated graphic that was so over the top that it was down the other side>
The irony here is that I found that "thisthreadsucks" graphic on this very forum, years ago.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2009, 03:41 PM

I just figured out what you're talking about, and further irony is if you go to the classics thread you find it one of those, unmolested.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
If you are killed painlessly and don't scream, couldn't someone make the same argument that you don't care what happens to you?
Moralist vegetarians are making that same argument when they claim that plants don't mind having their life ended prematurely. If you think its a silly way of looking at humans specifically, what makes it less silly to apply that same view to other life forms?

That paper demonstrates that plants display certain behaviors that resemble very rudimentary intelligence, not that plants have minds and hearts. This is a very basic philosophy exercise. Why is it wrong to kill people?
Hearts and brains are organs. Plants have a different anatomy, but are none the less living beings that exhibit survival behaviour. Once you've crossed the line of saying that its OK to kill other living beings to sustain your own life, making judgments based on what organs they have in common with you seems petty.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 04:20 PM

I'm an omnivore.
Go figure.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 04:22 PM

Moralist vegetarians are making that same argument when they claim that plants don't mind having their life ended prematurely. If you think its a silly way of looking at humans specifically, what makes it less silly to apply that same view to other life forms?
That is not the argument moral vegetarians make. No vegetarian says, "I acknowledge that plants have minds and fear pain and death, but I'll kill them quickly and they won't notice." That's an argument you made. And the argument you are making now is of a form called the straw man, and it generally indicates that the arguer is finding his own stance difficult to defend.

Hearts and brains are organs. Plants have a different anatomy, but are none the less living beings that exhibit survival behaviour. Once you've crossed the line of saying that its OK to kill other living beings to sustain your own life, making judgments based on what organs they have in common with you seems petty.
Make an argument for why being a "living being" means one's life ought to be preserved. I have never claimed that, and it seems pretty untenable to me since even bacteria are alive. Plants do not have minds, don't have a sense of self — in a word, they are not sentient. That is why it's OK to eat them just the same as it's OK to break a rock. They don't care.

But even if that weren't so — even if we established that plants are sentient beings and that we should avoid killing them — that means that not only vegetarianism but veganism is the moral diet, because raising animals requires many times more plants to die than raising a plant.
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 24, 2009, 06:01 PM

The irony here is that I found that "thisthreadsucks" graphic on this very forum, years ago.
I'm not very ironic lately, and I'd never seen that one before. Maybe in a different thread, with a different context it wouldn't have struck me as being over the top.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 07:41 PM

Plants do not have minds, don't have a sense of self — in a word, they are not sentient. That is why it's OK to eat them just the same as it's OK to break a rock. They don't care.
The available research linked earlier shows that they are capable of making intelligent decisions, of having foresight, of different parts of the plant having awareness of each other and taking action based on that information, of having memory, and of acting out of self-preservation. Again, they might differ from you anatomically, but that doesn't preclude them from showing clear signs of self awareness and intelligence.

But even if that weren't so — even if we established that plants are sentient beings and that we should avoid killing them — that means that not only vegetarianism but veganism is the moral diet, because raising animals requires many times more plants to die than raising a plant.
Or it establishes that humans cannot live without destroying other (sentient ) life and that we have a choice of either doing so willfully or starving to death. PETA people are free to choose the way that makes the most sense to them, but I'd rather they just fess up to EAT is murder instead of MEAT is murder if sentience is the way they're going to frame their moral view. If you're going to take the "spare as many lives as possible" path suggested by the amount of plant life needed to sustain animal life compared to the amount needed to sustain a human directly, why not spare both animal and plant by starving to death since that only results in one death instead of hundreds of thousands over the course of a lifetime?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 07:48 PM

why not spare both animal and plant by starving to death since that only results in one death instead of hundreds of thousands over the course of a lifetime?
Sounds reasonable. Let us know how you get on.

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2009, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Sounds reasonable. Let us know how you get on.
It's about as reasonable as the claim that eating meat is the moral equivalent of murder, but eating plants isn't.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2009, 10:04 PM

Meat is murder! Delicious murder. Mmmmm. Maybe murder with a side of steak fries.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Tiresias
Jun 25, 2009, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
Oh, I've never claimed to be anything less than an elitist when it comes perception of humor on these forums.
Your singularly cheerless contribution to this thread notwithstanding, you may, as you claim, be an authority on humour. But you do not seem especially proficient in understanding sentences.

This is how you act when you get and are participating in a joke?
http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...w/#post3852854
You see what I mean, Dakar? You are putting words in my mouth. I did not say that I was participating in a joke. I said that the tone of the exchange was clearly jocose—that is, playful, rather than serious. Which it was. The post you link to starts dryly and drolly: "A word quibble. How fun."

Better than being a damned Grammar Nazi.
First, regardless of whether the tone was playful or not, please explain how defending my use of a word makes me the Grammar Nazi and not the person who questioned my use of a word.

Secondly, are you quite sure that being a Humour Nazi (now there's an oxymoron!) is any more fun than being a Grammar Nazi?

Personally, I think an overlong quote from the SOED in a forum called, "The House that Shenanigans Built", on the "worm/deworm" question, replete with an amusingly vitriolic citation from Graigslit is all basically and inherently stupid and silly and does not run the risk of being mistaken for literal-minded grammatical priggishness. Thus, thirdly: Are you sure about being Mr Funny?

I believe I begin to understand the whole Dakar-turtle thing. You, Sir, used to be a lot more fun.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I'm not very ironic lately, and I'd never seen that one before. Maybe in a different thread, with a different context it wouldn't have struck me as being over the top.
Don't worry about it (not that you are ).

You may agree, though, that while the style might have been a little off, the message is increasingly appropriate.

Tiresias
Jun 25, 2009, 07:34 AM

You may agree, though, that while the style might have been a little off, the message is increasingly appropriate.
I believe what Mr Harlot means to imply here is that our lively discussion on humour and word usage has given him as much pleasure as could the indefatigable fellatrix in the offending gif.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 01:23 PM

Your singularly cheerless contribution to this thread notwithstanding, you may, as you claim, be an authority on humour. But you do not seem especially proficient in understanding sentences.
...and for some reason you object to being called priggish.

You see what I mean, Dakar? You are putting words in my mouth. I did not say that I was participating in a joke. I said that the tone of the exchange was clearly jocose—that is, playful, rather than serious. Which it was. The post you link to starts dryly and drolly: "A word quibble. How fun."
You're playfully (but not playing along) telling him he's wrong? At best that's contrived, at worst it's similar to how you might condescend to a child.

First, regardless of whether the tone was playful or not, please explain how defending my use of a word makes me the Grammar Nazi and not the person who questioned my use of a word.
Because the person who questioned it was busting your balls.

Secondly, are you quite sure that being a Humour Nazi (now there's an oxymoron!) is any more fun than being a Grammar Nazi?
I'm quite humor is more fun than grammar, so yes.

I believe I begin to understand the whole Dakar-turtle thing. You, Sir, used to be a lot more fun.
I'm only as fun as the Lounge is. When people start taking jokes poorly, I start acting poorly.

putrid
Jun 25, 2009, 06:34 PM

Let grammer be dambed. I'm gonna post anyway...LOL

I have a small Halloween prop how-to site. In it I have a page with instructions on how I re-worked some cheep plastic rats to fit my zombie and dead things display. I received a concerned email from a lady who wanted to know if I used real rats. Not it's painfully obvious when looking at the pictures on the web site that these are black plastic rats. So I emailed her back. Told her the hardest part was finding room in my freezer so I could keep them for next years Halloween display.

And because the subject of vegetarians has been brought up here's my take on it. A simplified explanation of energy threw consumption.
First hand energy happens when an animal eats vegetation. This animal uses a portion of this energy and stores the rest.
Second hand energy happens when this animal is eaten. The 'eater' of the first animal uses it's stored energy.
Conclusion,
In the world of cannibalism vegetarians would make a great menu item.

Now for a more serious subject. The problem with telling jokes on a forum is the lack of body language. Any comment or joke that isn't simply put can be mis-interpreted. Using abrv like LOL, and JK work to make up for the lack of body language and helps to keep misunderstandings down.
Here's an example
Vegens no longer call it sex. It's now called 'poking a mellon".

This by itself is offensive, belittling and downgrading to anyone who takes vegetarianism seriously. Written like this it can be looked upon as an insult.

However the same joke,

Vegens no longer call it sex. It's now called 'poking a mellon". JK LOL ( just kidding... laugh out loud )

Written like this it lets everyone know I'm not serious about the statement. It was meant as a joke. The abrv at the end makes up for the lack of body language.

Now the reason I didn't use "JK LOL" at the end of my vegetarian joke is I'm working on a cook book. JK LOL
( Last edited by putrid; Jun 25, 2009 at 06:38 PM. Reason: needed to.)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 07:07 PM

Are you currently on drugs?
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2009, 07:10 PM

I never knew that there was a 'b' in "damned." I learn the most amazing things here....

I wonder what the official vegan stand on zombies is...that's quite a philosophical quandary there, if you ask me.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 07:14 PM

That post has a very abe-ish vibe to it, except for all the spelling and grammar errors.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
That post has a very abe-ish vibe to it, except for all the spelling and grammar errors.
abe's post would have been much more precise and less rambling too. Not less zombies, necessarily, just better constructed.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 07:18 PM

It's a teenage girl, ain't it?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2009, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
It's a teenage girl, ain't it?
I think so. And she only wears black right now because she can't find anything darker...

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 07:37 PM

abe's post would have been much more precise and less rambling too. Not less zombies, necessarily, just better constructed.
Are you joking? Abe routinely had to split his posts into 3 parts because he ran into the forum software cut-off.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Are you joking? Abe routinely had to split his posts into 3 parts because he ran into the forum software cut-off.
But he was never wont to pour out non-sequiturs the way the above poster did. Tons of text, yes. Vapidity? Not so much.

putrid
Jun 25, 2009, 11:25 PM

Neither my grammar or my spelling has ever been correct. Nor have I ever been politically correct. I've had plenty of clues in my long life letting me know I'm not a girl. I've never asked anyone if my butt looked fat. I get a hair cut maybe once every ten years. I couldn't tell you what shade my lips are. Only own two pair of shoes. One of them is a pair of steel toed work boots. And then there's the tell all sign of the wrong parts. Well, the right parts for me. I should know, been using them form years now. This doesn't mean I'm desperate. I still have my standards. Anything with more than four legs is just plane creepy. As far as drugs? Nope. Don't drink, don't smoke, don't party, don't watch movies, sitcoms or other popular TV shows. It's obvious. I'm boring. But enough about me from me. Well maybe some more. Because this is off topic and nobody here is more off than I am. If the post hasn't been taken I'd like to be the uneducated creepy old white trash dude. I fit the bill. I'm old and evidently creepy. And I had a beard in high school. When I came to white trash I was an early bloomer. Just look at my name. I chose it because I wanted something folks would remember. Doubt me? Walk up to a complete stranger. Shake their hand and say,
"Hi, I'm Putrid."
They me never get to know you. But they will never forget you.
Let's talk about flies and vegetarians. If we were talking about flies, vegetarians and anorexia we could discuss what would happen if all three thew up. My moneys on one would eat it. One could eat it but probably wouldn't and the third would be better off if they didn't. But that's really to serious a subject for the discussion of weather or not flies are animals because crazy people want to get noticed. It's a shame peta doesn't have nucs. They could follow the lead of another crazy person who evidently doesn't like our 4th of July holiday. Guess he ran out of money. No more shopping for deals on weird sunglasses for him. But back on the topic. I think we should run an experiment. I think we should tie a peta person and a vegetarian to a tree and leave them there. See which one draws more flies in a few days. If the peta person does than I'll have to conclude the argument stands in their favor. If more light on the vegetarian than it might be possible flies are herbivores. I'd have to add a few chapters in the cook book on flies as well.

Vapidity? I've been called lots of things but this is a first. Thank you!! Hopefully it's something bad. I find names are a lot easier to live up to if they're bad.
( Last edited by putrid; Jun 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wanted to add something I forgot.)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 26, 2009, 12:22 AM

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2009, 01:28 AM

I don't know what it was Putrid forgot to add, but I'm sure glad he included it, because otherwise I might not have had any idea what he was talking about.
Chuck
___

Tiresias
Jun 26, 2009, 01:29 AM

Bla bla bla.
Fine. I'm an absurd prig. You are a comic genius.

Are we done now? This had begun to bore me unspeakably.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2009, 04:11 AM

But he was never wont to pour out non-sequiturs the way the above poster did. Tons of text, yes. Vapidity? Not so much.
Good point.

Batshit insane, but sticking to the topic (within his post).

The posts themselves where often entirely tangential (= by definition, off the wall).

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 26, 2009, 08:58 AM

Good point.

Batshit insane, but sticking to the topic (within his post).

The posts themselves where often entirely tangential (= by definition, off the wall).
Like a superball thrown by a major-league pitcher:-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping-ping--- Tangents off of his own tangents were some of the more amusing things he posted. But each tangent seemed to be self-contained, not "ping-ping-ping" within a post.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 06:06 PM

Fine. I'm an absurd prig. You are a comic genius.

Are we done now? This had begun to bore me unspeakably.
I was bored from the outset, I just thought it was polite to respond since you kept addressing me.

putrid
Jun 27, 2009, 12:11 AM

Oh well, I didn't accomplish what I set out to do. Apparently no amount of babbling bs will keep folks from turning a thread into a personal narcissistic slap fest. But I did learn something. Apparently it's more interesting to talk about someone. Kinda clannish around here. I learned my lessen. I'll keep my humor to myself.
I've often wondered if there is relativity between the eleven dimensions in the universe and the eleven secret herbs and spices in Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 27, 2009, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by putrid View Post
Oh well, I didn't accomplish what I set out to do. Apparently no amount of babbling bs will keep folks from turning a thread into a personal narcissistic slap fest. But I did learn something. Apparently it's more interesting to talk about someone. Kinda clannish around here. I learned my lessen. I'll keep my humor to myself.
Derailing in an attempt to stop derailing?

Tiresias
Jun 27, 2009, 02:27 AM

I was bored from the outset, I just thought it was polite to respond since you kept addressing me.
Rochefoucauld said, "A wit would often be much at a loss if it were not for the company of fools." And yet, here we are. So much boredom between two communicants and one of them admits to being an absurd prig, and the other claims to be an authority on humour.

I'll leave you to connect the dots.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 01:35 PM

one of them admits to being an absurd prig
Sorry, that came off with all the sincerity of a 4 year-old apologizing for punching his sister. I didn't realize you were being serious.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 02:33 PM

Soylent green tastes pretty good actually.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Soylent green tastes pretty good actually.
Needs salt. Otherwise it's fine.

SVass
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2009, 02:17 PM

Someone disagrees and thinks that bugs are delicious.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/29/c...n-to-doomsday/

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2009, 11:27 PM

I'll go vegan when she does.

Actually I don't eat red meat, but geeeesh wacktivist vegan types are such annoying lameasses they can make nearly anyone want to fire up the grill and throw on a few steaks.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2009, 01:44 AM

Yeah, and you'll stop eating **** when they do:

Right?

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2009, 02:41 AM

Next time swat those before they land in your lunch.

OHHH NOES YOU"LL BE KILLING AN ANIMAL!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE View Post

I'll go vegan when she does.
Do you take all of your cues in life from dumb, inhuman predators? Do you go around sniffing butts and viciously attacking anyone who comes too close?

Or do you just get your moral philosophy from "clever" bumper stickers?
Chuck
___

Forum Links
Forum Rules