Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac Newbie Question

Mac Newbie Question
Libid21
Jul 2, 2010, 05:17 PM

Hey guys for some reason i was just using my new mac for a couple minutes and noticed that a folder was in my trash. it's called 'Recovered Files' and in it is a folder called installer_macosr, and in that are .ttf files. I don't know how they got there and was just worried I accidentally deleted something without knowing it. Anyone know if this is normal or not? If not can someone tell me where this folder is supposed to be? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 2, 2010, 05:38 PM

After a reboot, the system looks for orphaned files/folders. This is a safety procedure, in case the last system shutdown was actually a system crash. If the system crashed while writing to disk, the last files may have been written, but the directory tree wasn't fully updated for them.

Upon reboot, the system places orphaned files in the "Recovered Files" folder. Which in turn is in the Trash. Usually, the only contents are temp files and cache files that were supposed to be deleted anyway. So just ignore this folder, it will be deleted the next time you empty the Trash.

On the other hand, if the system crashed while you were saving that important project ... on reboot, check the Trash. Just maybe it will be in there, safe and sound.

In this case, those are probably temp files, or duplicate font files that the installer weeded out. Don't worry about them.

Libid21  (op)
Jul 2, 2010, 05:45 PM

Thanks a lot. That explains a lot.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2010, 06:43 PM

Wow, I haven't seen a Recovered Files folder in the Trash since OS 9, I think. I wonder what antiquated software would have generated that.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Jul 2, 2010, 07:08 PM

I see it all the time. Usually ms office caches.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Wow, I haven't seen a Recovered Files folder in the Trash since OS 9, I think. I wonder what antiquated software would have generated that.
I get it almost every time I boot both of my Macs.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 2, 2010, 07:57 PM

Oh, that makes sense if it's MS related. I've never run Office on any OS X Mac.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2010, 08:03 PM

Well lucky you

Libid21  (op)
Jul 2, 2010, 08:18 PM

I don't have Office on my Mac either. It's actually brand new, and I found it in my recycle bin which is why I was curious.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 2, 2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
.. in my recycle bin ...
We call it the Trash.

Libid21  (op)
Jul 2, 2010, 09:46 PM

lol, sorry. still gotta get used to that.

Also, is there a keyboard shortcut to take a screenshot of my monitor or is that only for Windows?

reader50
Administrator
Jul 2, 2010, 10:09 PM

Shift - Command - 3 for a full screen shot.
Shift - Command - 4 to click-n-drag a region. The shot is taken when you release the mouse.

You can find most of the keyboard shortcuts listed in the menus, and in System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts (tab)

Libid21  (op)
Jul 2, 2010, 11:29 PM

Thank you again

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2010, 01:18 AM

Also, if you hit the space bar after a cmd-shift-4, the crosshairs turn into a little camera icon, allowing you to pick a single window to save as an image.

Forum Links
Forum Rules