Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Movie Recommendation: ParaNorman

Movie Recommendation: ParaNorman
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2013, 09:53 PM

ParaNorman Trailer (YouTube)

I remember seeing the poster(above) and just brushing it off as yet another kids animated flick from some amateur studio. And who could blame me with a name like 'ParaNorman'?

Boy was I wrong.

I'm a big fan of stop motion animation (A Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride, Coraline). This is primarily a stop motion based movie but brings in other forms of animation as well to create a visual(and auditory) feast. Incidentally this is the same studio which made Coraline (Laika).

The "culture", style and care that the creators bring to the table is the real treat here. It reminded me of when I first watched Toy Story.

Cheers

EDIT>>Hand-Making the World(of ParaNorman) Featurette
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 1, 2013 at 11:52 AM. )

andi*pandi
Sep 1, 2013, 12:00 AM

I recall being pleasantly surprised as well. The trailers did not do it merit. Had some clever twists in there.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2013, 05:25 AM

I liked it. Laika should have an Oscar under its bell for Coraline but alas, it went to Pixar's UP.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
I liked it. Laika should have an Oscar under its bell for Coraline but alas, it went to Pixar's UP.
I can't believe i'm saying this, but i think Coraline should have won over Up. (I really like Up too, but i find that Coraline made a more lasting impression on me).

What's truly shocking is that ParaNorman lost to Brave, a movie i wouldn't even suggest watching.

Forum Links
Forum Rules