Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ipad pro: How to open weblocs from Files in Safari?

Ipad pro: How to open weblocs from Files in Safari?
kevs
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2018, 12:06 PM

When I click a link on ipad pro, it takes me to the new page, but I don't see arrows to get back to the original webpage. I only see done, at upper left. Am I missing something? Thanks.

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2018, 12:30 PM

from which app? sometimes apps like facebook will open a website within themselves so the < > etc is different than safari.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2018, 01:07 PM

I saved weblocs in a folder, so I assume I'm in Safari. Unlike/ desktop/ laptop, I don't see what app I'm on! No dock to let me know!

Thorzdad
Mar 5, 2018, 01:53 PM

If you're in Safari, the website domain name (i.e. forums.macnn.com) should always be at the top of the screen just below the time. If you don't see it, you're probably actually in an app, like the Facebook app.

Also, if the navigation arrows aren't appearing when you scroll down a page, you're not in Safari.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2018, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by kevs View Post
When I click a link on ipad pro, it takes me to the new page, but I don't see arrows to get back to the original webpage. I only see done, at upper left. Am I missing something? Thanks.
You're not missing anything that I can see.

The Files app uses the built-in Safari engine, but it is not Safari. I see no way to go back a link. Swiping from the left screen edge does not work, and there are no controls.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2018, 04:57 PM

Thor, I think Shep see where I am.....

And does not sound too optimistic? S... so you dont even see title correct?

You click link, you read, then you have to click Done and then open File folder, and start all over with webloc?

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2018, 05:01 PM

Why are you not using Safari bookmarks? Can you click on the webloc and tell it what to open with, instead of previewing in Files?

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2018, 05:35 PM

Thanks Andi,
ok title is at top nice.
No, you can only click one click and then open.

I don't use Safari. I use firefox.
In this case on desktop, I dragged from Firefox and put in big folder on the imac desktop, and then into cloud so I could read them on the nice ipad.

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2018, 06:31 PM

On the nice ipad, is the browsing app Safari. Are you saying you are using firefox on the ipad?

Safari has bookmark sharing with the desktop via icloud, I think.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2018, 10:08 PM

Andi. No. I used Firefox on imac, dragged weblocs to desktop there in a folder, and then dragged that folder to icloud.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2018, 10:18 PM

Andi. No. I used Firefox on imac, dragged weblocs to desktop there in a folder, and then dragged that folder to icloud.
Kev, seriously, dude

You gotta be less confused about your problem description.

You started out saying you had issues on an iPad Pro, and a few posts later, it’s Firefox on a Mac ?
Basically, your “work flow” is weird. Nobody is doing that. That’s why it doesn’t work.

-t

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2018, 10:22 PM

He is saving firefox weblocs (dragging icon to desktop for link) then uploading them to icloud>files. Then he's clicking on them from ipad pro via files, but they are opening in something other than Safari so there's no navigation.

I have never done this convoluted thing so I don't know how to get them into Safari for him.

Kevs, have you tried installing mobile Firefox on ipad? Do you have a firefox user account that should sync links? Have no idea if that would work, just throwing out ideas here.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2018, 10:29 PM

Well, the obvious solution has already been mentioned: use synchronized bookmarks or reading lists.

Done.

-t

andi*pandi
Mar 5, 2018, 10:40 PM

Ok, I've actually just done this.

I put a link up on icloud, found it on ipad, clicked on it... on the upper left is "done" and the upper right, is a little square with an arrow - pretty much universal icon for "do stuff with this". Click that icon.

You get a popup with options. You can copy the link, then close files> open safari>paste, and browse.
Or, you can click "... " for more options to open in. I see Chrome listed, but not Safari, oddly.

This seems like a horrible way to share links. A word document in dropbox would be better. No, even simpler, copy all your links to a NOTES file. That will sync to your ipad.
Does Delicious still exist?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 5, 2018, 10:43 PM

I have a feeling about kevs.

Might be a besson troll account.

-t

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2018, 11:29 PM

Thanks Andi.. ok it's true: Most people don't drag weblocs as I do. I just find that very convenient to drag the webloc into a folder and read later..

And I'm really new to ipad. This is actually the first time ever reading a bunch of articles on an ipad vs, laptop.

So if I had to do this again-- knowing I want to read later on ipad I'd just find those articles in safari on the ipad and bookmark there all there.

(Normal Mac OS laptop does not have this issue of arrows disappearing after linking out) Spheric had it right I think... no way back to original page with weblocs on ipad.. live and learn..

andi*pandi
Mar 6, 2018, 10:22 AM

You are not listening. The way you are opening the weblocs, via files, does not open the real Safari. It is a preview only and that utility does not have navigation. Open the links in a real browser. Use a NOTES document, not FILES.

ios and desktop are very different.

kevs  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2018, 02:46 PM

Yes I'm listening, thanks A. Notes.. new notes did not think of that... or just bookmark in Safari

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2018, 12:36 AM

or just bookmark in Safari
DING DING DING.

WINNAR !!!1!!oneone

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules