Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Ever solved? Back 1 Pg. on web w/Mouse/Thumb Left click?

Ever solved? Back 1 Pg. on web w/Mouse/Thumb Left click?
smileLP
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2015, 01:24 PM

hi, i've been researching this for days, and i apologize if this is an old issue, but i could really use a solution!

i just upgraded from snow leopard (yeh, i know, old) to mountain lion, and ever since, when i'm at a web site (i use safari), i can no longer hit the button on the left side of my mouse to go back one page (i notice the right button to advance 1 pg. still works)

nice modern logitech mouse, always worked previously; lotsa buttons, all programmed correctly

so i have to do the much more cumbersome move the mouse/cursor to the UL corner of my screen and click the back arrow, every time i want to go back a page. i spend a lot of time on the web and these little extra required motions add up!

i saw some posted "solutions," empty cache, trash this file, whatever" that did NOT work for me

is this a known issue? is there a patch? an update that will solve it?

fyi, the back 1 page feature DOES (mostly) work in firefox, but for various reasons, i prefer safari

i'm not lazy. i have worked w/all my safari preferences ad nauseum, and nothing helps. nor did i find anything that helped in my on line research

thanks, and, help? ; )
( Last edited by smileLP; Sep 2, 2015 at 03:02 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2015, 01:46 PM

What type of mouse do you use?

Edit: To be clear I'm wondering if you're using a programmable mouse who setting are either missing or wrong for safari.

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2015, 03:03 PM

nice modern logitech mouse, always worked previously w/safari; lotsa buttons, all programmed correctly

definitely stopped going back 1 pg. w/upgrade in mac OS

thanks

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Sep 2, 2015, 03:07 PM

Well, double-check that it either the global or safari specific setting use key combo ⌘+[ for the button you're pressing in Logitech's Control Center in System Preferences.

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2015, 03:21 PM

⌘+[ DID make it go back a page. so what does that mean?

thanks

P
Sep 2, 2015, 03:25 PM

Probably that you need to update the software that came with your mouse, known as Logitech Control Center.

Logitech Control Center for Macintosh® OS X - Logitech Support
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

smileLP  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2015, 04:35 PM

you're a genius! that was it. of course it was over an hour to figure out why the new software was having a problem installing (i luckily had a # for logitech tech support; boy, they sure discourage those phone calls. try and find a # in their help section!)

(turns out i had to uninstall the older software first; there's a twist)

thanks again! you da man! (or woman?!)

Forum Links
Forum Rules