Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Where Is My Ethernet?

Where Is My Ethernet?
Godders
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2008, 02:36 PM

I have just bought a second hand G4 1Ghz 15" Titanium mac book, OSX 10.2.8 Everything works fine except when i tried to connect to the internet via an ethernet cable to a hub. I have another G4 power mac on Tiger connected to the hub that works fine. But I cant connect to the net with the mac book, I first thought that it might be a share/network problem, but it isn't as I have tried connecting the mac book on its own. I've tried different ether net cables and different ports so there are no physical connection faults. I've tried rebooting both the hub and computer, reconnected the leads etc. And still when I try to connect to net I get the message that it can't find any address I type in eg yahoo

The strange thing is that the ADSL hub recognizes the computer in its ports and in the network set up page on the mac book all the details are there. When I go to the sharing set up again the computer recognizes that there is an ether net connection!!! I noticed that in the menu bar on the top of the desk top screen there is no ethernet icon but all the other port icons are shwon eg airport ,modem and blue tooth are there could it be the old operating system? CAN ANYBODY HELP ME PLEASE?!!!

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2008, 03:29 PM

I forget how the 10.2.8 Network System Pref panel looks, but it sounds like what you have to do is go to the Network System Prefs, then click on the drop-down menu that says something like "Show..."

Make sure Ethernet has a checkmark and drag it to the top of the list. Apply the changes and do a restart.

Either that or establish a new Network location which should automatically have ethernet enabled (but you should verify that as well.)

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2008, 05:37 PM

Creating a new location is not a bad idea. If the Ethernet is not automatically working who knows what else is oddly configured in the network settings.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 18, 2008, 05:50 PM

Titanium "mac book?" Do you mean PowerBook? I think so.

Anyway, you say "ADSL hub," but do you really mean that it's an ADSL router? That could make a difference. Also, I don't see where you say whether you can connect to the Internet from this computer through your ADSL router. Can you? If you can or not will say a lot about what's going on, and thus how to correct it.

I'm leaving this in the notebooks forum because there may be some hardware issue going on. If it turns out to just be network settings, I'll move it to the Networking forum.

Oh, and WELCOME to the MacNN Forums!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Godders  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 27, 2008, 05:54 AM

Thanks for replying to my questions guys and please excuse my ignorance. I tried everything that you all suggested but to no avail, although what you all said all made sense!

I decided to upgrade to Tiger 10.4.6 which seemed to do the trick. I don't know if the Panther 10.2.8 that was on it was faulty or what.

In case you are wondering why I dont use leopard its because it is incompatible with my version of pro tools software that I use.

Thanks for your responses though, much appreciated.
Godders

ibook_steve
Jun 28, 2008, 12:24 PM

You should update to 10.4.11, the final version of Tiger.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules