Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti Book and 1 GB RAM

Ti Book and 1 GB RAM
rambo47
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2002, 07:14 PM

Is this a good thing? I have 512 MB RAM currently in my Gigabit Ethernet Ti 667, but with all the talk of Jaguar loving more and more RAM I was thinking about going to the full monty, that is 512 + 512. Any issues I should know about?

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 17, 2002, 08:10 PM

YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES! YES!YES!

i went from 384 to 768 and i liked 384, 738 is like a new computer.

GO BUY RAM NOW!!!

i bought from www.macsales.com. A+++ experience. (other world computing)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2002, 10:04 PM

The answer is likely no. How many applications do you use at once?

I have a 500-megahertz G4-enabled Pismo. Going from 256 to 512 megabytes of memory hit a sweet spot; I couldn't notice anything more enough to justify an upgrade.

You'd be discarding two perfectly good, 256-megabyte memory modules.

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider it. I'd get 768 megabytes of memory tops.

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 12:35 AM

well, he's probably been a mac user for longer but i have a true tibook that's pretty close to yours.

i find that performace seems quicker overall with performance remaining steady when using multiple applications.

if you have 2x256...depending on your financial condition and if you can sell the 256, maybe hold off.

but otherwise go for it and enjoy jaguar!

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
The answer is likely no. How many applications do you use at once?

I have a 500-megahertz G4-enabled Pismo. Going from 256 to 512 megabytes of memory hit a sweet spot; I couldn't notice anything more enough to justify an upgrade.

You'd be discarding two perfectly good, 256-megabyte memory modules.

If it were me, I wouldn't even consider it. I'd get 768 megabytes of memory tops.
Seanyepez and I have disagreed several times on this question. I have a 667 DVI running 1 gig of ram. I always max the ram our on all of my laptops ( I currently also have a Pismo 500 at 1 gig). You may or may not be as Ram hungry a user as I am but the point is this: the day will probably come when you wish you had all the powerbook will give you. If you fill it with Ram, you'll never have any regrets. If you can afford it, do it. It IS quicker, even if you're only running one program.

PeteWK

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2002, 02:23 AM

I respect your views. However, with older and newer machines alike without ten major programs running, there's nothing to be gained by maxing out your memory. Considering the amount of swap that's being used is already miniscule with 512 megabytes unless you're running Photoshop and something else that's memory intensive, 768 megabytes and even a gigabyte of memory seems a little excessive to me. I need all the speed I can get out of my Pismo, but 512-megabyte memory modules are significantly more than two 256-megabyte modules, and as such, it's just not viable for a user like me to upgrade. Upgrading would require me to sell off or discard a 256-megabyte module.

Rambo, how many applications do you find yourself with open? What applications are they? Only judging by this can you determine whether it'll be worth it to upgrade to a gigabyte of memory.

TC
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 09:32 AM

I notice one guy said he went to 768 with memory from OWC. What machine do you have?

I just received 512MB from them today and I am having constant kernel panics on my 667 DVI.
I have tried everything including just putting in the 512 but I get a kernel panic every time I run a few apps. The apple hardware test gives the memory a pass.
The apple hardware test shows it as PC133-333 whereas my original RAM from Apple is PC133-322 anyone understand the difference??

I tried it in my old 500MHz Titanium and it works fine.

I had allsorts of other problems with this order but I won�t go into that until they get back to me with what they are going to do.
Nothing to see, move along.

sproutsie
Sep 18, 2002, 11:46 AM

well, i have a 667 combo-drive with a 48gb hard drive- I got it with one 512mg in the lower slot so i could upgrade later on when ram was cheaper. i just did that with another 512 and hola: it is nice! i have been running laptops since the duodock, and other than the *one* time i got bad ram, it has always been worth it, if only because you can run lots of programs at once without it being a drag. if you can afford it, do it. if not, don't. that is really the only reason not to do it, in my own experience. as for the one bad ram: i had a 256 stick in this computer i got from a friend which gave poor clyde kernal panics everyday, but this new 512 is lovely- not a single kernal panic, going on week two of semi-constant use.

if you notice your tibook being slow, get more ram, and get as much as you can afford, because you'll appreciate it later.

also, to those ordering new tibooks- always try to get as much ram in one slot as possible, like i did- it saved me a couple of hundred dollars going up to 1 gb now instead of through apple at the beginning, and by getting 512 all at once in one slot, i didn't have to get two new memory sticks.

as far as i can tell, and what i have learned through painful experience, unless you have lots of money to blow on new models every year, getting as much powerbook as is economically feasible right away makes it into a machine that will last you much longer than one which you buy at the low-end to save money and then spend bits of money here and there upgrading. maybe this works for some people, but i think it is like buying a cruddy cheap car which you have to fix a lot and which becomes disposable early on when you could get something more dependable for a higher initial outlay that will last longer (i have an 89 volvo 245 with 205,000 miles on it). not exactly the same, but you get my point....

ta,
susan
I began casting around desperately for some kind of weapon- maybe an Italian tank with one gun in front and three in the rear in case of retreat, or a huge bush-hog.
-H.S. Thompson

Filburt
Sep 18, 2002, 12:03 PM

I would check the contents /var/vm directory before shelling out money for more memory. If you consistently have 2 or more swap files (1 is the normal minimum), then adding more memory would help. Keep in mind that swap files are reclaimed only upon a reboot.

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:29 PM

Quote:

"The apple hardware test shows it as PC133-333 whereas my original RAM from Apple is PC133-322 anyone understand the difference??"

The 3-3-3 or so stands for the cache latency of the ram (anyone: plz correct me if i got it wrong). 3 means three nanoseconds to load a bit into a register, three to refresh the register (because its RAM not ROM) and three to overwrite the register with new information. Lower numbers mean that the RAM is working faster. I could imagine, youre runnig into trouble due to your 3-3-3....

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 18, 2002, 02:52 PM

The basic rule for RAM is this: having LESS RAM than you need will slow you down, but having MORE RAM than you need will not cause any improvements.

Now, it is a little fuzzy with OS X especially, since the more RAM you have, the more things it'll put in it (for example, window buffering, which compresses if it needs to).

But generally speaking, once you have enough RAM, anything over and above that will just go to waste.

tooki

murbot
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2002, 03:48 PM

If you can afford it comfortably, go for it. I get pageouts with 1 GB of RAM, and that's NOT running a ton of apps at once. OSX is better at memory management, but it's also a RAM pig.

file
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2002, 05:57 PM

Originally posted by TC:

I just received 512MB from them today and I am having constant kernel panics on my 667 DVI.
I have tried everything including just putting in the 512 but I get a kernel panic every time I run a few apps. The apple hardware test gives the memory a pass.
The apple hardware test shows it as PC133-333 whereas my original RAM from Apple is PC133-322 anyone understand the difference??
i have a 512 PC133-222

i have the tibook 800 and it works great. i'm no mac expert so i can't help you.

i assume you installed it right....

tell your kid i challenge him to a beer drinking contest anytime anywhere! :mad:

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by TC:
I notice one guy said he went to 768 with memory from OWC. What machine do you have?

I've used OWC a number of times and always with good results. But for my DVI, I decided to go with a couple of 512s made by Kingston. They were about 190 bucks each from Zones.com. I could have shaved a few dollars off the price with the cheaper stuff, but this laptop just screams for the best, so I gave in to it.

PeteWK

euphras
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2002, 11:34 AM

Today i have upgraded to 512 MB (actually bought from the guy that wrote Tinker tools, the world is small ). I noticed far less pageouts than before, but if Word, PowerPoint, Photoshop and some minor apps are open, the machine crys:" give me MORE ram!!!"

BTW, the ram brand is INFINEON

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

Forum Links
Forum Rules