Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Giving up alcohol

Giving up alcohol
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 05:28 PM

Im leaving my college town next week, and my buddies threw me a party last night. We had a tequilla night.....<sigh>...
before getting to college i had never gotten drunk, led a preety healthy lifestyle.... today i wake up in a pool on my own pukie on the floor....my chin is bleeding, the kitchen door is missing....there's pop corn all over the place, and i preety much feel like crap.
I know ive said it before, but this time i mean it...no more alcohol....no beer, no booze, maybe the occasional champagne or wine, but id even go so far right now as to say im giving that up as well...

Sealobo
Feb 8, 2003, 05:31 PM

Sounds like a real party to me?

Alcohol is all good, just learn how to control the consumption.
( Last edited by Sealobo; Feb 8, 2003 at 05:40 PM. )

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 8, 2003, 05:38 PM

I can't speak out of experience, but I say congratulations. I've seen Alcohol and other drugs do some awful things.

Cool
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 05:39 PM

Don't eat too much either or you'll throw up
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Vanquish
Feb 8, 2003, 05:50 PM

No alocohol anymore ????!!! you will die !!!

but like sealobo said: just learn how to control the consumption. and eat a banana before drinking

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 05:58 PM

and water afterwards

people say there is no cure for a hangover. This is not true. Take 1 ephedra pill before sleeping.
I consider this is a horsepill myself, but when you really really need to be sober in a short time, and don't want to get involved with drugs (good for not using in stress situations!) ephedra clears hangovers in a matter of hours.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 06:04 PM

after drinking for 17 years, and drinking mostly in the last 5, i made a new years resolution to attempt to quit or cut back on new years. i have been 100% alcohol free for 39 days now. and that is really saying something considering that is the longest i have quit since starting.

on my dad's side of the family, about 5 are alcoholics, none on my mom's side. i was most definately an alcoholic.

my biggest problem quitting was the thought of what would i do when out at bars or other places where all my friends are drinking heavily. i realized after going to the bars and just drinking 7up that i had no problem controlling it or giving in to peer pressure.

its all in your head. and its just as easy to "mac" on girls!
Nothing is older than the idea of new

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by PB2K:
and water afterwards

people say there is no cure for a hangover. This is not true. Take 1 ephedra pill before sleeping.
I consider this is a horsepill myself, but when you really really need to be sober in a short time, and don't want to get involved with drugs (good for not using in stress situations!) ephedra clears hangovers in a matter of hours.
i don't know about using uppers to cure hangovers, thats not a real cure, basically its no different than drinking coffee, which does not sober you up, it just makes you a more alert drunk, and that is a fact.

the best way to feel as little of the hangover effects as possible is simple, water. drink as much as you possibly can before sleeping and then drink more when you wake.

there is no real cure for a hangover besides that.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 06:19 PM

Im catholic. all the men in my family are alcoholics

but on a serious note...i dont THINK im an alcoholic, cause i really dont feel any cravings. actually ...i possibly dont crave anything ..... ive tried cigarettes, cigars, coffee/coca-cola (which is possibly the only thing im 'addicted' to), and the occasional weed.... but i definately dont crave alcohol.

But yeah, the men on my dad's side of the family are preety much alcoholics, and 4 years ago, one of them passed away due to liver problems(caused by alcoholism), the men on my mom's side are quite the opposite.And once i got to college my mom was worried sick id end up like.....well you know.... but i dont think she needs to worry....this is more of a personal preference for me than a conscious decision to make an effort to quit.

Thats one thing of American culture that baffles me, i grew up in a muslim country where alcohol was a big no-no, and well....i still had fun with friends, women, clubs, etc....even felt healthier, hard to explain. But yeah.....i think maybe that's one aspect of islamic culture i should adopt. But youll have to lock me up to make me stop eating pork, but thats a whole other thread.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 06:25 PM

I bowed before the porcalin idol for the last time over five years ago.

For a short while, I missed the bars and the drinking buddies, but life is totally different, and more meaningful and rewarding in every way now.

If I could have my twenties back to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing, but when it came time to stop, it was just plain time to stop. It took six months of trying and failing every Monday morning to quit drinking over and over before I sought help, and it was pretty tough on my self-esteem to realize I needed to quit drinking, but utterly lacked the willpower.

It was a tough time, but it was also a great awakening, and I would never go back to where I was before.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 06:36 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Im leaving my college town next week, and my buddies threw me a party last night. We had a tequilla night.....<sigh>...
before getting to college i had never gotten drunk, led a preety healthy lifestyle.... today i wake up in a pool on my own pukie on the floor....my chin is bleeding, the kitchen door is missing....there's pop corn all over the place, and i preety much feel like crap.
I know ive said it before, but this time i mean it...no more alcohol....no beer, no booze, maybe the occasional champagne or wine, but id even go so far right now as to say im giving that up as well...
The kitchen door is missing?

rofl LOL!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 06:44 PM

You know what people ? now that i think about it..... the only thing ive ever made an effort to quit was/is caffine (big tea drinker) , also consume coffee n pop. i wonder if it's addictive effects are more profound that the other things our there....hmmm...i havent been able to give up coca-cola or tea or coffee yet....and i must say, i do to some extent crave for it.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by CollinG3G4:
The kitchen door is missing?

rofl LOL!
yeah. i wake up, get the puke off me in the shower and head to the kitchen....no door. The last i remember was a 'fight club' scene in the garage with boxing gloves..... but i busted my chin when i slipped in the kitchen

snotnose
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 06:58 PM

yeah. i wake up, get the puke off me in the shower and head to the kitchen....no door. The last i remember was a 'fight club' scene in the garage with boxing gloves..... but i busted my chin when i slipped in the kitchen
sounds like you got beat up! jk

maybe someone used the door to go sledding with?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 06:59 PM

i did my fair share of puking in toilets from the time i was 15 til like 19 or 20. its so stupid. i completely quit drinking til late summer 2001 (almost 10 years).

now im a much different person than i was then, and i drink the occasional beer cause i think its tasty. i can also say im rather glad i had that time being clearheaded and not all messed up in the noggin. the 20s sucked being "dry". im sure drinking would have only compounded the situation.

that binge drinking crap sucks.

xtal
Senior User
Feb 8, 2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by sealobo:
Alcohol is all good, just learn how to control the consumption.
Merits repetition.

Shots are dangerous!!! There's no reason for them, as all you're doing is loading your body with alcohol. Have a wine, beer, martini, whatever. Enjoy the taste, feel the groove...

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 07:12 PM

I feel you pain....

I once woke up in my own vomit to discover my glasses missing.

Opps.

Sure taught me a lession...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 08:13 PM

I knew it was time for me to quit when I went to the doctor for a blood test, and he started running a tab!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Feb 8, 2003, 08:24 PM

A family friend, who had quite drinking a few years prior, once told me that although he didn't consider himself an alcoholic, he believed everyone had a specific number of drinks alotted to them in their lifetime. He said he'd used up his quota a couple of years ago.

Maybe you've just used up your limit. More power to you if this is what you want/need.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 08:33 PM

I started drinking around age fourteen. When I got to Sydney at nineteen I found myself living in a pretty hip area and I turned into a party animal, going out virtually every night (an ex-girlfriend worked out there were six nights in a six month period when we didn't go clubbing). So between 1987 and 1994 I partied hard. I wasn't an alcoholic though - just very social.

Eventually I just got tired of it and stopped - even having fun can become repetitive. These days I'm all partied out.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by snotnose:
after drinking for 17 years, and drinking mostly in the last 5, i made a new years resolution to attempt to quit or cut back on new years. i have been 100% alcohol free for 39 days now. and that is really saying something considering that is the longest i have quit since starting.

Good for you.

on my dad's side of the family, about 5 are alcoholics, none on my mom's side. i was most definately an alcoholic.
Definately some alcoholics in my family... that's why I won't touch the stuff. It's definately genetic. Research shows either there is an alcholic in your family, or you don't know enough about your family to decide. To make it official, they need to pinpoint a gene... but that takes forever.

my biggest problem quitting was the thought of what would i do when out at bars or other places where all my friends are drinking heavily. i realized after going to the bars and just drinking 7up that i had no problem controlling it or giving in to peer pressure.

its all in your head. and its just as easy to "mac" on girls!
true, awkward at first, but eventually it's nothing.

Should also note nothing will "cure" a hangover, despite everyones remedies. Alchol disolves into the bloodstream to quickly to stop.... and it simply has to work it's way out. Nothing can enhance that but time. So it's funny how people think up different things like drinking coffee with a teabag, Orange Juice and coffee, different shakes etc... All your doing is giving yourself a caffeene high or sugar high.

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 09:29 PM

If you fell pulled towards alcohol; stop drinking. If your excess consumption is merely due to social reasons, don't worry.

Wine is evil if you are alcoholic, but can be a wonderful thing if you are not. I have immense experience of alcoholism in both my own family and immediate friends, and I have alcoholic tendencies of my own, although I don't think it's quite time for me to stop yet. I haven't drunken enough absinth to exercise my creative talents to their full extent.

Anyway, if you are alcoholic: you'll know. You'll feel the desire for alcohol tearing you apart when you're not drunk.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2003, 09:30 PM

Good for you.

Maybe someday I will summon up the similar amount of willpower required to end my marijuana, tobacco, and coca/cola addictions.

Doubtful :spliff:

I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 09:33 PM

giving up alcohol is dumb

learn to have less and you'll be fine

imaxxedout
Banned
Feb 8, 2003, 09:35 PM

<---- NEVER PUKED!

woo woo. I'm invincible. Basically, I have a pretty high tolerance, and I know when to quit. A few nights ago I had 12 shots of vodka.

Last night I had half a bottle of bicardo O in 10 minutes. Heh.

but man, I can't handle beer.

>shrug<

- Ca$h

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
giving up alcohol is dumb

learn to have less and you'll be fine
Not neccessarily correct. Not everyone can learn to have less. For some people alcoholism is a real and actual disease.

_if_ you can have less, that's good and well. If not, then give it up. It's definately not worth it.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 09:43 PM

I find amazing how many people take things into excess.
For instance there are many who had to quit drinking, there's a one who had problems with tea, I bet there are a couple of smoker here too.
Point is, why take it so far ?
The way I see it, you can drink hard sometimes with friends, but usually, alcohol is much better when you are enjoying it. And facing it, many times the ones used in parties is real cheap and of the poorest quality.

I really enjoy tea sometimes, in winter mostly. But having to quit it because of addiction ? Sounds like too much.

Same aplies for people who smoke I guess.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 8, 2003, 09:44 PM

Sounds like a great party, dude. Hope you let us know when you find out what happened to the kitchen door.

And as for the alcohol thing: I'd say that if you're waking up in a pool of your own puke every few days or weeks, then it's probably time to do some lifestyle re-evaluation. But if this was just a one-time blowout to close out a college career, I wouldn't worry about it in the least ... the pain will pass, and you'll soon be ready to hoist another beer.

Just cherish the friendships and the memory ... not that you can probably remember all that much of it!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2003, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
I find amazing how many people take things into excess.
For instance there are many who had to quit drinking, there's a one who had problems with tea, I bet there are a couple of smoker here too.
Point is, why take it so far ?
The way I see it, you can drink hard sometimes with friends, but usually, alcohol is much better when you are enjoying it. And facing it, many times the ones used in parties is real cheap and of the poorest quality.

I really enjoy tea sometimes, in winter mostly. But having to quit it because of addiction ? Sounds like too much.

Same aplies for people who smoke I guess.
I'm a tea drinker, every morning for years. Stopped one morning, no problem, no headaches, nothing.

I enjoy a cup of tea during a chineese meal, a really cold day, when I don't feel good, or socially. Sometimes in the morning. But if I go without, no problems. No cravings or anything. So I wouldn't call it an addiction in my case. Just a love for it.

Alcohol is a bit different. A good way to tell if you have a problem is if you drink alone. Especially with someone who doesn't drink and doesn't like it when you do. If you still do, that's a sign that your emotionally/physically dependant on it, and an alcholic... note that just because your an alcoholic doesn't mean your a bum... just means you have a dependancy. Funny thing is, many Americans have a dependancy on alcohol. Studies find as many as 20% have a drink before 9:00 at least 3 times a week, can't remember where I read that, but saw it a few times when doing a project for health class in high school... But unless your poor and on the streets, or violent, it's not a problem (or so society says)... but then again, think what it does to your liver.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Feb 8, 2003, 11:07 PM

Sarc
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:
I'm a tea drinker, every morning for years. Stopped one morning, no problem, no headaches, nothing.
my bad, I misinterpreted you first post into thinking it was actually an adiction, no bad intention.

Alcohol is a bit different. A good way to tell if you have a problem is if you drink alone.
really ?
after reading it on your post I started thinking, that I never really drink alone, yet if I wanted a scotch or a beer I would have it.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 12:19 AM

A physician friend of mine who does research on these things says that a hangover is a form of withdrawal, which is why a another nip in the morning can alleviate it (i.e. "hair of the dog"). Not much else you can do about it. I find that it helps to take a few aspirin before going to sleep.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 12:30 AM

Im catholic. all the men in my family are alcoholics

but on a serious note...i dont THINK im an alcoholic, cause i really dont feel any cravings. actually ...i possibly dont crave anything ..... ive tried cigarettes, cigars, coffee/coca-cola (which is possibly the only thing im 'addicted' to), and the occasional weed.... but i definately dont crave alcohol.

But yeah, the men on my dad's side of the family are preety much alcoholics, and 4 years ago, one of them passed away due to liver problems(caused by alcoholism), the men on my mom's side are quite the opposite.And once i got to college my mom was worried sick id end up like.....well you know.... but i dont think she needs to worry....this is more of a personal preference for me than a conscious decision to make an effort to quit.

Thats one thing of American culture that baffles me, i grew up in a muslim country where alcohol was a big no-no, and well....i still had fun with friends, women, clubs, etc....even felt healthier, hard to explain. But yeah.....i think maybe that's one aspect of islamic culture i should adopt. But youll have to lock me up to make me stop eating pork, but thats a whole other thread.
4 screening questions (CAGE) that we use for alcoholism or a problem with alcohol:

1) Cut down: Have you ever felt the need to cut down on your use of alcohol?

2) Anger: have you ever gotten angry with someone who suggests you drink to much or that you should quit?

3) Guilt: have you ever felt guilty for something you've done while drinking/under the influence of alcohol?

4) Eye-opener: do you NEED a drink to get going in the morning?

These are just SCREENING questions, so the fact that you answer yes to any of them does not necessarily have alcoholism or a problem with alcohol, but it does mean that a closer look into your alcohol consumption might not be a bad idea. (By the way, answering 'yes" to two of these questions suggests further investigation).

Don't blame me.... I didn't write these questions.
( Last edited by cjrivera; Feb 9, 2003 at 01:03 AM. )

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Feb 9, 2003, 01:29 AM

today i wake up in a pool on my own pukie on the floor....my chin is bleeding, the kitchen door is missing....there's pop corn all over the place, and i preety much feel like crap.
welcome to my world!

dude... kitchen door? WTF!?
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

dillerX
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 01:55 AM

*points* to sig. yeah? kitchen floor?
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2003, 02:51 AM

It's your choice, man. More power to you.

But I'll give you a tip that I've found. I never got into the habit of drinking for a variety of reasons, though I'll have a sip on very special occasions (50th wedding anniversaries, New Year's 2000, and so on). I'm the only one in my family who doesn't drink at all, though.

I find it helpful to keep Sprite, orange juice, and cranberry juice on hand. Using those, I'm generally able to mix up something that resembles what everyone else is drinking. Usually it looks a little different -and it always smells different, of course- which is good for keeping track of it, and it's not like I trick anyone into thinking it's actually alcohol. But drinking something that at least looks like what the others are drinking seems to ease the social pressure; you don't look like a complete killjoy, because you're still drinking something even if it's not alcoholic.

It just seems to help things run more smoothly. Something I thought I'd pass on.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by cjrivera:
4 screening questions (CAGE) that we use for alcoholism or a problem with alcohol:

1) Cut down: Have you ever felt the need to cut down on your use of alcohol?

2) Anger: have you ever gotten angry with someone who suggests you drink to much or that you should quit?

3) Guilt: have you ever felt guilty for something you've done while drinking/under the influence of alcohol?

4) Eye-opener: do you NEED a drink to get going in the morning?
1-Yes, especially after nights like the one above.
2-NO, cause the ppl around me drink a lot more often and a lot more.So when anyone calls me a drunk...i just laugh
3-Ive felt stupid, never guilty.
4-nope, just a cup of tea

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 9, 2003, 04:14 AM

Anything can be ok in moderation. You just need to learn self control. We all do.

suhail
Senior User
Feb 9, 2003, 05:06 AM

I quit alcohol altogether, I do feel better now that I did.

But I still get the occasional drool for a Pauleiner or a Gr�nebier, especially the Dunkel Augustiener Bier.
<spelling!>

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 06:24 AM

A Teetotaller's life expectancy is actually shorter than people's who drink in moderation.

Moderate alcohol consumption, especially red wine, is extremely benefitial to your health. In fact, you need to drink more than one bottle of wine a day to have the same life expectancy than a tee-totaller. Half a bottle of wine, or the equivalent, appears to be the optimum beneficial dose of alcohol for a healthy male, slightly less so for a woman.

Heart disease and stroke are the main illnesses that may be avoided by moderate alcohol consumption.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 06:33 AM

A good way to tell if you have a problem is if you drink alone. Especially with someone who doesn't drink and doesn't like it when you do. If you still do, that's a sign that your emotionally/physically dependant on it, and an alcholic... note that just because your an alcoholic doesn't mean your a bum...
What? That's, forgive me, nonsense.

I drink a glass or two of wine or a Scotch pretty much every evening. It doesn't matter if I'm alone or not. That does not make me an alcoholic (and no, I'm not in denial )

tintub
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2003, 07:00 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

I drink a glass or two of wine or a Scotch pretty much every evening. It doesn't matter if I'm alone or not. That does not make me an alcoholic (and no, I'm not in denial )
Alcohol is addictive, so if you drink everyday then it is unavoidable that you become addicted. So where do you draw the line and call someone an alcoholic? I guess its when it becomes a problem. Drinking every day is absolutely fine in my book, and I don't discourage it. However, you are addicted to a certain extent. I am sure of course that you could break the addiction easily but that's not the point.

Some people think they are ok if they only smoke 2 or 3 cigarettes a day. They are still addicted. I presume you don't smoke. I would be surprised. But I'm going off at a tangent now. I'm tired.

Cipher13
Feb 9, 2003, 07:56 AM

Addiction doesn't really depend on the substance in question as much as people would like to think. Sure, it's a factor, but not the be all and end all.

I smoke every now and then; I get no cravings. I haven't had a cigarette in about two weeks now. I feel no desire to. It isn't that they're weak or anything - I smoke rollies, filterless; or if I'm feeling lazy, 16mg cigarettes.

I drink most days in a week - beer most of the time. If not beer, tequila. That's it. I don't get cravings, I'm not addicted.

I drink coffee (a few glasses every day), and high-caffiene softdrinks, and I don't get any sort of craving.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just one of those people who don't get addicted to things. I think it's mostly genetic.

Anyway... last night I overdid it a bit. 6 shots of tequila (double shots - as in lick, sip, sip, suck - two shots each time), mixed in with 7 or 8 beers.

Usually I could take that with easy, but it just hit me really badly last night. I didn't throw up, but I felt like it.

Woke up this morning, good as new, no hangover - I'm not even gonna consider giving up alcohol.

What I am going to do, however, is think more about what I'm drinking and how much of it beforehand...

Quitting is useless. Quit getting shitfaced, sure - why quit drinking? That's like saying "I'm gonna lose weight", and quitting eating...
( Last edited by Cipher13; Feb 9, 2003 at 09:43 AM. )

Sealobo
Feb 9, 2003, 09:10 AM

I used to drink a lot of Coke when i was in Uni. At least one can per day, up to 3 cans max. I wasn't addicted, i just liked the taste. Such rate of drinking lasted for 3 good years.

One day my dentist told me that the Coke was killing my teeth, said that my teeth looked kinda bad and seems to belong someone who's over 30... (i was 22 then and i was like wtf???).

Good that i never smoked or anything, and i dropped drinking Coke right away.

Anyway, the point of my story is, Coke is really bad for your teeth, if you are drinking it everyday, then you might want to lower the consumption.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2003, 01:26 PM

Last night was the first time I've drank in my life. I had to do it because it was the first weekend I didn't go home, so naturally, I got overly wasted. I barely made it back to my room and the next thing I remember is my friends helping me drink water and throw up. Looking back at that, it was an awful and disturbing scene that I never want to go through again.

I drew the line.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:

It may not be harming your life... but that's a clasical sign of an addiction.

My friend smokes a cigarette outside before class even when it's below 0 outside... alone. But he isn't a smoker ?

Your an alcoholic, it's just not interfering with your life.

If you wokeup in bed with someone you don't know, lost your job because of it, or something like that, then it's interfering with your life.

These are two different things.

Chemical dependancy vs. Effects of Chemical Dependancy on daily life.

Drinking daily, even when alone is difinative proof that there is a chemical dependancy. But if it's not hampering your life... it most likely isn't going to do you any harm. Provided it doesn't turn into 4 a night, then a few in the morning, then a few inbetween...

Moderation and control are key. Those who lack those two are the ones with a serious problem. That's when a chemical dependancy becomes dangerous.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by sealobo:
I used to drink a lot of Coke when i was in Uni. At least one can per day, up to 3 cans max. I wasn't addicted, i just liked the taste.
, not addicted eh ? lol...but yeah my roommate right now, only drinks carbonated beverages, coke, pepsi, sprite, etc..... and man....his teeth look awful. i actually gave up carbonated beverages in october, now i have, maybe a 2-liter per month, and im thinking of stopping that as well.

I'm starting to lean towards an all natural diet....fresh foods, nothing canned or premade..... i guess im just sick of all the chemicals ive been putting into my body, through food.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 02:38 PM

My friend smokes a cigarette outside before class even when it's below 0 outside... alone. But he isn't a smoker ?

If you wokeup in bed with someone you don't know, lost your job because of it, or something like that, then it's interfering with your life.

These are two different things.

Chemical dependancy vs. Effects of Chemical Dependancy on daily life.

Drinking daily, even when alone is difinative proof that there is a chemical dependancy. But if it's not hampering your life... it most likely isn't going to do you any harm. Provided it doesn't turn into 4 a night, then a few in the morning, then a few inbetween...

Moderation and control are key. Those who lack those two are the ones with a serious problem. That's when a chemical dependancy becomes dangerous.

You're wrong. I can, and frequently do, stop drinking alcohol without any ill effects at all. No cravings, neither physical nor phsycological.

So no, there is no addiction.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Feb 9, 2003, 02:55 PM

*snip*

you should be on the stage, that's hilarious!

americans have a completely different outlook on alcohol, than us europeans. more than 4 beers a year and you lot consider it a problem. we don't, so we'll carry on doing things our way. you can stick to your Lite "beer"

i'm going to have a few glasses of wine now. alone.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2003, 02:58 PM

Drinking daily, even when alone is difinative proof that there is a chemical dependancy.
Let's not get carried away here. Hundreds of millions of people have a glass or two of wine or a drink every day and are not chemically dependent. Big difference.

Forum Links
Forum Rules