Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To Those With Spotless 15" Alumibooks -

To Those With Spotless 15" Alumibooks -
cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 11:14 AM

Do you transport them a lot? As in everyday? In a backpack or put any kind of pressure on the back of the LCD when it's closed?

Thanks. we're just trying to find the culprit to this problem...
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

TiUser
Oct 14, 2003, 11:43 AM

My white spot (only one) appeared after a few weeks of ownership. I do take my PB to work everyday in a SF bag Sleevecase. I don't think this has to do with how often you transport the PB. As someone else pointed out on this board, this is probably a mechanical issue with the seating of the screen than anything else. Other than that, the PB is perfect in every way. I am reluctant to send the PB in for repair until Apple officially acknowledges the problem and a true remedy is announced.

cambro
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by TiUser:
I am reluctant to send the PB in for repair until Apple officially acknowledges the problem and a true remedy is announced.
You'll be waiting a while!

PBG4 User
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 03:46 PM

I carry my laptop to school 2 - 4 times a week. I carry it in an in.case padded sleeve originally made for the titanium (tight fit). While at work I keep my AlBook in this sleeve in a drawer that it just fits into. I've been doing this for almost a month now and no white spots.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2003, 04:19 PM

No usually I don't transport it around that much. Just around the house and maybe to work only once or twice a week.

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 04:54 PM

I don't transport mine around that much.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 06:55 PM

Hmpf ....

There are no "spotless" 15" AL PBs!

Anyone who's had theirs for a couple of weeks ... hide all apps so just the Desktop is visible, then go to System Preferences and change the Desktop to the various light grey Solid Colors ... full brightness ... I'll bet you see a few lighter grey, if not white, spots
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

bcaslis
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 07:09 PM

No offense, but you are wrong. I had one that had spots. I got a replacement and it doesn't. I know what they look like. I use Pixel Check 1.2 to show a pure white screen so I'm not missing anything.

For those questions above:

I transport everyday between work and home. It's in a waterfield slipcase inside a Tumi bag. I also carry it around the house when home. I've been on two plane trips since getting it on 10/1. It will be on another tomorrow.

Originally posted by mainemanx:
Hmpf ....

Anyone who's had theirs for a couple of weeks ... hide all apps so just the Desktop is visible, then go to System Preferences and change the Desktop to the various light grey Solid Colors ... full brightness ... I'll bet you see a few lighter grey, if not white, spots

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 07:15 PM

Hmpf ....

Mine is perfect. I check mine frequently and I've had no white spots at all. I did have a few crashes under 10.2.7, but since I upgraded to 10.2.8 five days ago I haven't had a single crash. My computer has been running this whole time, being put to sleep 5-10 times per day. I ordered mine on the day of keynote and received it the following week.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2003, 07:18 PM

OK, Yes SIr ...

I just got PiXel Check ... I'm OK on the red, green, and blue, and black ... but on white I definitely see several "spots." They're about the same "lightness" that I see at the edges ...

But I'm a lot unhappier with my stiff trackpad button!

Someday AppleCare ...

MacsGalor
Senior User
Oct 14, 2003, 07:22 PM

I Don't have any spots. I bring my pbook in to work everyday and transport it all over the place even though I try to "baby" it, it still takes a little beating. I have an incase nylon brief. The case is full of goodies so it does add some pressure.

kjo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 14, 2003, 09:16 PM

I've had mine since Sept. 24. No white spots, no dead pixels, no crashes (I'm using 10.2.7 and waiting for Panther). It's been absolutely perfect!

To the original poster: I haven't transported it anywhere - it hasn't left my house. That may change soon, though, because my Waterfield sleeve is on the way.

Hope that helps!

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 14, 2003, 10:16 PM

Done. You lose.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
Done. You lose.
Actually I think the spots are caused by staring intently at the screeen looking for spots ... that's what actually CAUSES the spots!

So be careful, don't look for them, any more.

alwimy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 02:54 AM

I have these spots and I know I sound anal-retentive/obsessive-compulsive BUT these spots are extemely irritating.

I keep my desktop on a solid black background so I don't see the spots. Browsing websites however is a different matter. Most webpages have a white background and scrolling them makes the spots painfully evident.

Working on video/ photo retouching opens up a whole new can of grief.

I just wish Apple would fix this or allow me to trade up to a 17". I'd gladly pay the difference. I much prefer the dimensions of the 15" but if it causes me pain, I'd go with the one that works.

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 03:16 AM

I carry mine around about four times a week. Three times to class, and then one to the coffee shop for homework if necessary, but that's usually on the class day anyway. It sits in the bag with the rest of my books, not separated (which leaves unsightly scuff marks I have to rub off...).

macxtal
Oct 15, 2003, 12:54 PM

I carry mine daily in a Zero Halliburton hard computer case (Z3, I think). It's been dropped, kicked, stomped, and both my powerbooks have remained flawless.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2003, 01:26 PM

It's 10 O'Clock ... is your new 15" PowerBook LCD still "spotless?"

Have you looked recently? 'Got that queasy feeling in the pit of your stomach?

Heheheheheh ......

pknoll
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2003, 04:10 PM

Hmpf ....

I'll take that bet. I have none; my 15" is perfect.
PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7GHz / 2GB / X800XT
PowerMac G3 400MHz / 896MB
PowerBook G4 1GHz / 1GB
iBook SE G3 466MHz / 576MB

dcsmrgun
Oct 15, 2003, 05:43 PM

2 days since I got my PB, 2 days its been carried around in my laptop bag to and from work in a warm/hot car. I definitely exert some pressure on the back of the LCD by means of various other devices (cellphone/clie) in my laptop bag, and I'm still ok. Like I said, though, this is just 2 days after its arrival. Here's hoping it stays OK.

But!

Now even flawless PB owners can feel like part of the club. Simply set this image as your background! Amaze your friends! Confuse the Apple Geniuses! Its a hit at parties!
( Last edited by dcsmrgun; Oct 15, 2003 at 05:49 PM. )

hadocon
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by dcsmrgun:

But!

Now even flawless PB owners can feel like part of the club. Simply set this image as your background! Amaze your friends! Confuse the Apple Geniuses! Its a hit at parties!

I am just about to order an AL15 and I placed it on my iMac so I get used to it :-)
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

bluesloth
Oct 15, 2003, 06:53 PM

Just rechecked. No spots. Actually I noticed a couple of fingerprints that need wiped off, but other than that.

I take my AlBook to school everyday in a sleeve in my backpack. I take the thing in and out of the sleeve probably about 10 times a day.

macwayne
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 09:48 AM

no problems, have had mine for almost a month now! '

slimmy
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 02:48 PM

I've had my 15" AL for about 3 weeks, carry it frequently and have no spots, not against any light or dark background. Have run tests. None.

Slim

forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 16, 2003, 03:20 PM

mines rock solid.
Have not transported it yet but am going on vacation in 15 mins, will report back
Force

cing2x  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 03:51 PM

thanks for responding. i hope your powerbooks stay spotless. i just had a theory that transporting and putting pressure on the back of the LCD aggravates the existing flaw.

i'd keep an eye out though. i believe this is a systemic problem and when apple comes up with a solution, they might offer to fix everyone's LCD. those who have a spotless one should make sure and really check that it remains that way and that spots will not appear if you transport it around.
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 16, 2003, 04:26 PM

Hmpf ....

umm, i'm sorry i don't have these spots, even when i do go to the solid backgrounds...
Hi!

sonofcolin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 16, 2003, 10:10 PM

You have a winner!
Had the powerbook for about 3 weeks. 5 white spots and getting brighter. Maybe they will all join up to make an ultra bright display! Reported to Apple. Awaiting public announcement.

BTW. For all of those who are spotless, congratulations. Your $2-3k investment was a good one! For those with the spots, you should expect a flawless replacement for your investment.

Hunz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2003, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by sonofcolin:
You have a winner!
Had the powerbook for about 3 weeks. 5 white spots and getting brighter. Maybe they will all join up to make an ultra bright display! Reported to Apple. Awaiting public announcement.

BTW. For all of those who are spotless, congratulations. Your $2-3k investment was a good one! For those with the spots, you should expect a flawless replacement for your investment.
I've had my Al 15 and also have four white spots in the center of the screen. I carry it in a Brenthaven $180 backpack designed for the PB G4.

How long is it taking Apple to fix this annoying problem?

hl_keyboard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2003, 05:05 PM

Originally posted by cing2x:
thanks for responding. i hope your powerbooks stay spotless. i just had a theory that transporting and putting pressure on the back of the LCD aggravates the existing flaw.

i'd keep an eye out though. i believe this is a systemic problem and when apple comes up with a solution, they might offer to fix everyone's LCD. those who have a spotless one should make sure and really check that it remains that way and that spots will not appear if you transport it around.
I'm sending mine away (and risking losing a freelance gig) and was told the majority of people have this problem as a result of pressure applied to the back of the screen. He then made sure not to imply that that was why mine had spots though.
Thanks in advance.

bosolevu
Oct 18, 2003, 05:55 PM

NO white spots or dead pixels here!!!

RGray02
Oct 18, 2003, 11:22 PM

Nope, no spots, dead pixels nada. Trackpad isnt as soft as my old wallstreet, and the keyboard is perfect.

Ive only had this thing for a week. And I dont really tote it around much.

Though I think I should point out that the Apple saleperson at the Apple store immediately offered to sell me one of those screen protectors as soon as I decided to purchase a powerbook. Could have been some internal memo sifting about this problem.
http://www.****microsoft.com - "Free your mind, and your OS will follow"

Forum Links
Forum Rules