Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Mac OS X Server as Domain Member

Mac OS X Server as Domain Member
jcarr
Senior User
Apr 5, 2004, 11:18 AM

The Mac OS X Server documentation indicates that a server must be a domain member to host network home folders. In addition, to be a domain memeber, the server must connect to a Mac OS X Server PDC, not a Windows 2000 domain.

Can a Windows 2000 (no mixed mode) domain and a Mac OS X Server PDC coexist? Is it possible to avoid having the Mac at the top of the food chain?
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2004, 11:33 PM

Mac OS X's Windows networking facility is provided by the open-source Samba package. Samba in its current release version doesn't support providing the functionality of a secondary PDC. It can easily be a stand-alone PDC. In other words, a machine running Samba can be the one that defines the domain of which it is a member automatically and other Windows machines can join, having user home folders hosted on the Samba host (e.g., a Mac OS X or Mac OS X Server box).

Because the user information on Mac OS X Server can be managed by Open Directory (based on the open-source OpenLDAP), this Mac OS X Server LDAP server can be integrated into the Active Directory environment of a Windows server (cf. Directory Access 1.5 Help at Apple).

I have not found information on how to do the reverse, i.e., to make an Active Directory domain defer to a Mac OS X Server's Open Directory database. I have to admit, however, that I haven't looked into this extensively.

Other references:

Panther and Active Directory
Integrating Mac OS X With Active Directory (relating to Mac OS X Server 10.2)

Dominik Hoffmann

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 7, 2004, 02:12 AM

Samba 3 works fine as a AD member. You can store the home dirs on it, and have the box authenticate to the domain controller.
I can't speak to OSX as I don't use it for samba.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Forum Links
Forum Rules