Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > NO, even no text feed coverage from the Keynote???

NO, even no text feed coverage from the Keynote???
HOMBRESINIESTRO
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2005, 06:32 AM

We�ve been informed that Apple does NOT allow any news posting during the Keynote now. I guess all the press must agree to terms before entering the hall, and if you�re caught running a news feed live to the net, they throw you out. So, if that truly is the case, we�ll be blogging offline and the second they let us connect, we�ll dump the whole feed to the blog page. At least you�ll have a run down of how the show went before Apple has a chance to post the QT video version later in the day. We�ll also be leaving the chat link up, but Brian wil probably not be able to get into it except while in line before the show starts.

source: keynoteuser.com
Scarcely pausing for breath, Vroomfondel shouted, "We DON'T demand solid facts! What we demand is the total ABSENCE of solid facts. I demand that I may or may not be Vroomfondel!"

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 09:50 AM

crap that sucks

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

-Q-
Jan 10, 2005, 10:30 AM

WTF??? What's the big idea for all this secrecy?

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
i dunno but i think it bites.

i wouldnt have minded watching the keynote at the apple store near by.

no keynote and no text either?

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Zimphire
Baninated
Jan 10, 2005, 10:43 AM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 10:52 AM

That stinks.
Sometimes Apple really sucks.

-t

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:06 AM

Yet more market manipulation. If Apple stock was still in the 20s, we'd all be watching the live QT stream.

Now that AAPL is pushing 70, stockholders (and more importantly, Jobs, Gore, and other Apple higher-ups) have much more to lose if a disappointment or two is announced/unannounced.

By not allowing live broadasts of the keynote - video, audio, or text - Apple can now hit the PR wires with their spin before the general public can make up their own minds regarding the keynote.

I mentioned Al Gore because I suspect his influence and experience has been big in this decision. He more than anyone at Apple knows the importance of spinning and making up people's minds before they can do so themselves. And with the stock shares so valuable at the moment, the stakes are quite high.

Because of this news blockage, I sort of suspect Apple has some fear at the moment.

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2005, 11:14 AM

I understand what you're saying spacefreak, but it's the hardcore users who are mainly tuning in and we're the ones that have stuck w/ apple through the longterm.

The expectation right now is extremely high. They might be fearing a stock dump..

I'm not saying they owe us anything, but it sucks we can't even get a text feed.....
Joe

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 11:17 AM

Apple the new Nazi Germany.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Evan_11
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 11:25 AM

I agree with Spacefreak. The stock is definately the reason for this. I'll dig further and say that Apple might be making two major product announcements this year that could make stocks fluctuate viciously. A market share gaining yet money losing headless iMac is assumed to be one of them. I don't think a flash iPod would cause any disruption so they has to be something else. New Powerbooks? iPhone?

velodev
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 11:32 AM

Someone should SMS from a cell phone, which then gets posted online.

jcarr
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
no keynote and no text either?
Fear not... Apple can not keep news from geing posted during the keynote.

They can disable free AirPort access during the keynote. They can deny access to those w/ laptops. But short of screening attendees for cell phones & text pagers, or presenting the keynote inside a faraday cage, they will not be able to keep live updates from being posted.
I'm cookoo for Cocoa Apps!

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by velodev:
Why doesn't someone just wear a cell phone with an ear piece and say what is being introduced to a friend that can blog it or something. I don't think they are going to boot someone for talking at the event if they keep it subtle (or act like you are talking to a friend)

willed
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 11:37 AM

Apparently the conference hall is going to be specially lead lined for the occasion to preempt that eventuality.

Looks like we'll just have to wait. Is it really that bad?? Just wait til you get home in the evening and check up on it then or whatever. Don't you people have work to do?

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Why doesn't someone just wear a cell phone with an ear piece and say what is being introduced to a friend that can blog it or something. I don't think they are going to boot someone for talking at the event if they keep it subtle (or act like you are talking to a friend)
Sometimes the simplest of ideas are the best.

But why the heck all this secrecy ? Are they finally going to present their world domination plans ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by willed:
Apparently the conference hall is going to be specially lead lined for the occasion to preempt that eventuality.

Looks like we'll just have to wait. Is it really that bad?? Just wait til you get home in the evening and check up on it then or whatever. Don't you people have work to do?
This is the Superbowl for us. We can't miss it

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by powerbook867:
I understand what you're saying spacefreak, but it's the hardcore users who are mainly tuning in.....
The media/press tunes in as well, and reports are written and released almost immediately.

It's this that I think Apple is trying to head off. Mac-dorks like ourselves are not Apple's concern. It's the larger, general public reading the headlines on Yahoo and MSN that worries Apple. Those are the people who have been driving the stock price so high with each "iPods in short supply" or "Retailers selling out of iPods this holiday season" story.

Not that i wish to harm anyone's personal fortune, but I'd like to see a reporter or two get a story out CONTRARY to what Apple is trying to control.

Maybe I'll write a some stories for PRWeb release during the keynote (not really). I'll title them "Reasons Aplenty for Apple's Media Blackout" and "Apple To Purchase NASA".

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Apple the new Nazi Germany.

-t

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:02 PM

That would be the easiest way. Bluetooth cell phone in the pocket while typing the messages in Address Book. Otherwise I might have to be productive for those two hours!

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 10, 2005, 12:03 PM

Where did you hear that? That's absurd! I'm with Goldfinger on the world domination plans

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 12:05 PM

That's so Superman can't get a sneak peek at the new stuff, without buying a ticket into Macworld.

Langdon
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2005, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by jcarr:
Fear not... Apple can not keep news from geing posted during the keynote.

They can disable free AirPort access during the keynote. They can deny access to those w/ laptops. But short of screening attendees for cell phones & text pagers, or presenting the keynote inside a faraday cage, they will not be able to keep live updates from being posted.
Agree. Someone with a camera phone and text messages will relay the info.
I just don't see how they have the ability and time to screen out all the possible gadgets that could allow the information to be passed out of the hall. It will be leaked to someone within minutes who will trickle it down to all the usual sources.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 12:19 PM

Steve's paranoia harmed Apple in the beginning. Sadly it seems that his paranoia has returned. Shutting down any access to the majority of his customers.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 12:22 PM

I think it would make a lot more sense to not have it stream anywhere EXCEPT the Apple Store.

This way it would get people in the Apple Stores and make people who desperately need to see the keynote happy as well.

Just my 2�.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:37 PM

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 10, 2005, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by forkies:
18:00 PST
http://cbs.marketwatch.com/tools/quo...=mktw&dist=nbk
Heh - that's funny. Maybe all the agonizing was for the birds to begin with ... or the almighty heard the desperate prayers of those who were lost?

My $0.02 is on the former.

( Last edited by effgee; Jan 10, 2005 at 01:01 PM. )

piracy
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Steve's paranoia harmed Apple in the beginning. Sadly it seems that his paranoia has returned. Shutting down any access to the majority of his customers.
Majority?

Um, I think you need to rethink that statement.

Because the vast "majority" of Apple's customers have never seen a Macworld keynote, never will, and don't even know what Macworld is.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 10, 2005, 12:53 PM

i'd say about 30% of people attending the keynote bring their laptop with wireless into the hall. they'd have to shut down net access for the entire hall (which they haven't done the past 3 years). cell phones, btw, don't work very well in the hall because it's underground.

forkies
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by piracy:
Um, I think you need to rethink that statement.
i usually just disregard wdlove's ramblings since they tend to confuse me more than anything.

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Heh - that's funny. Maybe all the agonozing was for the birds to begin with ... or the almighty heard the desperate prayers of those who were lost?

The agonizing was with regard to the time of broadcast. We wanted to see it live. Now we wait till the evening. I guess I did have stuff I needed to get done. Maybe my boss contacted apple and asked them to show it after I'm off the clock for the sake of productivity.

I'll show him.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Heh - that's funny. Maybe all the agonozing was for the birds to begin with ... or the almighty heard the desperate prayers of those who were lost?

Err read the release properly
Steve Jobs delivers keynote address at the Macworld Conference and Expo. When: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 at 9:00 a.m. PST
The keynote will be available for viewing via webcast at approximately 6:00 p.m. PST.
10 hours later, just what Apple said it would do.
Delaying till the evening totally shafts Europeans who may want to watch the keynote, the usuall start is OK if a not a bit inconvenient (5pm GMT, lots of people leave work at 5:30pm) 6pm PST = 3am GMT.
( Last edited by Mediaman_12; Jan 10, 2005 at 01:10 PM. )

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jan 10, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
The agonizing was with regard to the time of broadcast. We wanted to see it live. Now we wait till the evening. I guess I did have stuff I needed to get done. Maybe my boss contacted apple and asked them to show it after I'm off the clock for the sake of productivity. I'll show him.
Fudgepickles!

I didn't notice the "6pm" part - �$%&!!

Oh well, back to agonizing it is, then.

**putsstrongerlensesonshoppinglist**

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 01:19 PM

No keynote live stream. Okay, I can accept that. I've never watched a live stream because it's always played like crap, then cut out for me due to extreme demand. Apple supposedly sees other financial reasons to change that would be more beneficial to them. No problem.

No Apple Store stream. Seems kind of weird since they initially touted the Apple Stores as a place to watch it. Well okay. Maybe they have some kind of music group performing and don't want to have to pay them some insane amount of money to "broadcast" the performance.

But now they plan to restrict news posting coverage during the keynote? I can't really see the reason behind this. Do they need people to be really into it and not be distracted? Are they going to demo some device and require all the bandwidth in the room to do it smoothly? Do they want to prevent the news sites from saying things like "... and as expected, Apple introduced a sub-$500 computer today" or "... as the rumor sites suggested, an Apple office suite named 'iWorks' was released today"? The news sites will likely be saying stuff like that anyway.

The best thing I can think of is that Apple knows people watch the news sites during the keynote. And Apple knows that the news sites get many visitors and hits in a short period of time (so much so, that some take down all content and convert to a text-only page with a timeline of events). My guess is that Apple would prefer to have everyone going to their site during the keynote, and while people are there, perhaps turn some of those visits into more sales.

But then again, just about anything they announce at any event sells out quickly and they leave thousands of customers on backorder, sometimes for months at a time. So that theory does not make much sense either (unless of course, they have fixed their long-standing production problems).

I guess we'll either find out the real reason later, or just be contained to speculation.
Genius. You know who.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 01:30 PM

I honestly don't think Apple is trying to block this... they just aren't offering a live feed which will save money and potential headaches should something bad happen with a demo. They can save face a little.

I just don't see them bouncing people for posting something especially when they are going to post the video 9 hours later.

Being able to shape the media hasn't been a problem for them in the past... especially in the first few hours... they basically regurgitate their press releases.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 01:33 PM

Side Note: I usually take a 1/2 day when it's a Macworld... so I get home around the time the Keynote starts. Call me a geek, but millions of people do it for their personal hobbies. Gaming, movies etc.

It's when I get in my blue jeans and mock turtleneck and demand that everyone call me "Steve" when my girlfriend becomes concerned.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
You must realize that Steve Jobs has this ridiculous idea that keeping his customers in the dark is somehow good for business. There is, of course, no legal requirement that the keynote be webcast, but frankly I feel that Apple outright owes this information to the users who have kept them alive when, according to all known theories of economics, they should have died a hundred times over.

Apple is in an unusually symbiotic relationship with its users, and Jobs wants to be a parasite. This is why I think he should have been ousted after introducing the iMac. The iMac was a great thing, and it saved Apple, but Jobs has proven time and again that if he's allowed to run a company for too long after saving it, he will run it into the ground again by sheer force of arrogance.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
The iMac was a great thing, and it saved Apple, but Jobs has proven time and again that if he's allowed to run a company for too long after saving it, he will run it into the ground again by sheer force of arrogance.

It's time to sack Steve for this stupid iPod thing that nobody wants.

-t

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 02:08 PM

Out of protest, I say we still remain just as unproductive as if we were watching the keynote live.

Who's with me?

alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 02:13 PM

Or, Apple is exceptionally smart to do this, to increase everyone's curiosity. Admit it, now that it is blocked, aren't you even MORE curious? Maybe this is like the "IT" thing all over again - keep the whole world in suspense, then just release a normal product. Makes for great advertising at minimal cost.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2005, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Out of protest, I say we still remain just as unproductive as if we were watching the keynote live.

Who's with me?
Count me in!

Actually, I'm probably being even less productive as I scour every website I can think of in search of the latest info.

kiwibabe
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2005, 02:42 PM

And I was gonna get up at 6 am to watch it/hang out at the forums to get the gossip.

Oh well. My boss says I can get a powerbook after tomorrow. Thats why I was really hoping that the G5 powerbooks are going to come out tomorrow but thats 99% unlikely to happen.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 02:55 PM

Damn, the keynote has traditionally made prime time viewing here, but 6 PM SF time is, umm, 4 AM.

Is that late or early?

J

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2005, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Judge_Fire:
Damn, the keynote has traditionally made prime time viewing here, but 6 PM SF time is, umm, 4 AM.

Is that late or early?

J
Always earlier than PST !

-t

alex627
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2005, 03:24 PM

The iMac was a great thing, and it saved Apple, but Jobs has proven time and again that if he's allowed to run a company for too long after saving it, he will run it into the ground again by sheer force of arrogance.
Please name a company that Jobs has run into the ground. Or instead regain sanity.

Stupid moderators.

Where are my 3dfx drivers for a 6 year old video card!!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2005, 03:32 PM

You must realize that Steve Jobs has this ridiculous idea that keeping his customers in the dark is somehow good for business.
Can you supply some proof??? Do you have a quote of Steve saying this? It sounds like you do not have not a clue why Apple isn't allowing a live web cast or text feed, so you are pulling this out of your @ss.

�frankly I feel that Apple outright owes this information to the users who have kept them alive�
Well, you will get this information - which will be all over the web after the keynote or you can watch the keynote at 6 PM CST.

Where do you come up with this stuff? If you think Steve is running Apple to the ground, can you give us some examples or proof? Last time I checked, Apple stock is around $70/share, they are debt free, have around 5 billion in total equity, and have the most popular MP3 player on the market.

I just think you are pissed that you can't see the keynote live or get a live text feed so you have to trangress how "evil" Steve is to make yourself feel better. I think you may have sipped too much of the kool-aid.

frates
Jan 10, 2005, 03:51 PM

waxcrash : I can't believe you just made a triple-quote answer for a post and didn't get the sense of it.

velodev
Senior User
Jan 10, 2005, 04:04 PM

I've got bigger plans... sorry, but with the introduction of new products comes opportunities for 3rd party businesses.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 10, 2005, 04:06 PM

Apple is in an unusually symbiotic relationship with its users, and Jobs wants to be a parasite. This is why I think he should have been ousted after introducing the iMac. The iMac was a great thing, and it saved Apple, but Jobs has proven time and again that if he's allowed to run a company for too long after saving it, he will run it into the ground again by sheer force of arrogance.
Intellectual Property is saving Apple. The ability for them to keep projects secret is critical to their survival. Also, what has Jobs done to run the current Apple in to the ground? Are you saying delaying a webcast by 9 hours is going to kill Apple?

I continue to see major innovation and more and more willingness to listen to the end users. Perhaps Steve believes people like to see new products... not listen to people talk about new products. For a company that has 3% market share, they make a considerable amount of media penetration on Keynote days. AKA... free publicity. I am positive it's the "secret" aspect of the show that causes this.

One Final Note: Apple isn't Microsoft... they make the hardware and software, so they can't say what's "just around the corner" without causing major overstock nightmares. Guess what would happen to iPod mini sales if they would have said 3 months ago that there would be a 5GB version tomorrow? They would have died off... and people would have waited.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2005, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by alligator:
Or, Apple is exceptionally smart to do this, to increase everyone's curiosity. Admit it, now that it is blocked, aren't you even MORE curious? Maybe this is like the "IT" thing all over again - keep the whole world in suspense, then just release a normal product. Makes for great advertising at minimal cost.
Will it be so hyped up that it'll be a disappointment when the news does come out?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2005, 05:45 PM

Let the disappointments begin...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Forum Links
Forum Rules