Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Will another gb of memory make a HUGE Difference?

Will another gb of memory make a HUGE Difference?
ndtechie05
Jan 28, 2005, 06:14 PM

hey guys i have a 3 weeks old dual 2.0, it currently has 1 gb of ram in it, work in photoshop, dreamweaver, fcp, motion, dvd studio pro and other pro apps, it is fast now but i was wondering if i got another gb of ram would it speed anything up by that much? thanks
iMac 24" 2.8ghz C2Extreme 2gb 320gb
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz C2D Stock
Dual 450mhz G4 - 120gb HDD - 384mb Ram
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Jan 28, 2005, 06:19 PM

quick way to check. open up activity monitor during your heavy workload time and then check how much RAM you have free.

I'd say yes, it will help based on the fact that I don't edit video and I use my 1.5GB I do the other stuff though.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2005, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by MORT A POTTY:
quick way to check. open up activity monitor during your heavy workload time and then check how much RAM you have free.

I'd say yes, it will help based on the fact that I don't edit video and I use my 1.5GB I do the other stuff though.
I wouldn't *just* check based on free RAM. If more than half of your RAM is wired or active, you could probably use more for what you are doing.

I would agree that more would probably help. I have 1GB of RAM in my G4 and at any given point in time, I also have 1GB of swap... or more.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

reader50
Administrator
Jan 29, 2005, 03:54 PM

ndtechie05, based on your post, you seriously need to update your sig.

Oh, and install Memory Monitor. Watch for heavy paging activity while you are working. You can do the same thing with 'top' in Terminal, but you'd have to be watching 'top' all the time.

mak_attack
Jan 29, 2005, 04:04 PM

hi ndtechie05

"work in photoshop, dreamweaver, fcp, motion, dvd studio pro and other pro apps"

i am considering purchasing a powermac and am on the verge of ordering a dual 2.0 (i did consider 1.8 and 2.5 duals)

i am going to be working in similar applications but at a beginner/amateur level.

are you happy with your purchase?

how do you find the performance of the machine when using 'pro' apps?

would you recommend the machine to others?

any information to back my purchase would be greatly appreciated

how long do you see yourself keeping/using the system?

thanks,

ndtechie05  (op)
Jan 29, 2005, 04:33 PM

mak,

i reallllly like it! im also using a 23" HD Display which also hels my experiance, i just ordered another gb of ram last night so it will have 2gb of ram on it. it is really a nice machine, i considered the 2.5 but have heard people have problems with it. the cooling on this things is great! it is also soo quiet. rendering and exporting a 250mb AVI movie in FCP takes less then a minute if that that helps. the superdrive is amazing. i had a dual g4 450mhz i was using and this thing smokes it by alot! i have the 160gb hard drive in it, the standard one which also helps the performance of the scratch disks in FCP. i highly recomend this machine if it is yur budget.
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

mak_attack
Jan 29, 2005, 04:42 PM

ndtechie05,

i considered the 2.5 but have heard people have problems with it
- i did consider it but feel i dont want to throw money away with out any real justification

the cooling on this things is great! it is also soo quiet.
- excellent, i was after a quiet setup so i can run 24/7

rendering and exporting a 250mb AVI movie in FCP takes less then a minute if that that helps.
- wow that is quick infact that is super quick

the superdrive is amazing. i had a dual g4 450mhz i was using and this thing smokes it by alot!
- thanks, i am a pc convert and only have a x2 dvd-rw lol

i highly recomend this machine if it is yur budget.
- well i have money saved up and could blow it on dual 1.8 defo but have just about strecthed it to dual 2.0 becuase of 8 gig ram capacity

any other helpful insight into the wonderfull world of having a dual 2.0?

i did consider 20" ACD but feel it is too much for my to afford and have settled on a 2 * 17 lcd combo which would aid multitasking etc (350ish vs 600 acd)

thanks,

ndtechie05  (op)
Jan 29, 2005, 04:52 PM

i think youll be satisfied with any PM G5 u get honestly, i think the dual 2 is the best deal tho. the 23" display is realllly nice and has alot of real estate in one monitor without have a dual display which i really like for FCP. but if u like 2 17's, thats cool too. i dont think it would work for me. i turn mine off at night cuz im afraid to screw it up. its up to u.
42" Samsung DLP HDTV

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2005, 05:08 AM

I use Menu Meters to monitor memory, and everything else. A very handy little app.

I also run my Dual 2.0 with 2 GB DDR, and I couldn't be happier about this Mac. Love it!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

Forum Links
Forum Rules