Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The "Who has a nano thread"

The "Who has a nano thread"
cliffom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 04:39 PM

I just got back from the Apple Store in Northridge, CA.

I am the proud owner of a white 4gb nano to replace my 4gb iPod mini.

Who else has one and what are your intial thoughts?

Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by cliffom

Don't have one BUT...What are your thoughts??

cliffom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 8, 2005, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Thade
Don't have one BUT...What are your thoughts??
I haven't had a chance to open the box yet as I picked it up on my lunch hour but looking at the dimensions of the image on the box one has to think "wow, it IS tiny."

I won't open it up until later on this evening, but I will post as soon as I do.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2005, 04:59 PM

Post PICTURES as well, please! I'm considering this one...

BTW, use www.imageshack.us for free pic hosting if you don't have your own domain.

spencers
Sep 8, 2005, 07:43 PM

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 12:03 AM

Black 4GB model here.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 12:27 AM

Can someone with a Nano tell me if it supports the new nested playlists featured in iTunes 5?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Scandalous Ion Cannon
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 01:36 AM

Man those armbands are horrid especially with the Black iPod. They look like giant kids Band-Aids.
"That's okay, I'd like to keep it on manual control for a while."

cc_foo
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2005, 06:31 AM

Does it have Sound Check? And does it accurately update the “last played” time on iTunes after syncing, if songs are played on the iPod?

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2005, 09:59 AM

Black 4 GB nano here!
Totally love it. In fact I need to get used to the tiny size after using my 1st Gen. 5 gig for so long.

kiltwearer2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 10:32 AM

Ordered 4Gb White Nano yesterday at 11am GMT.

Shipping notification this morning at 9am GMT.

Delivered to Glasgow, Scotland today at 12.30 GMT!

Now *thats* speedy delivery!

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2005, 12:49 PM

The Nano flood gates have opened in Cincinnati... Saw no less than 6 go out the door when I went to pick-up my 4GB Black model at lunch. People are seriously digging this little bitch. I'm in love ... when they get something this size to 20GB, I will marry it.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 01:16 PM

i just got back from the apple store across the street from my work.
i went there to look at the nano. when i walked in they still had minis everywhere, and then by the door i saw a salesman holding a white and black nano. i was *shocked* at how small it is.

i held them and knew i had to buy one. i'm sitting at work playing with the 4gig white one i bought. can't wait until i get home so i can shove some music on it.

ddma
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 02:13 PM

Ordered right after the show on the Apple Online Store (Hong Kong) at HKT 9th 2AM and received a call today at HKT 10th and the iPod nano will be shipped before HKT 11th 3PM.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

Lava Lamp Freak
Sep 9, 2005, 03:24 PM

I picked up teh new black hawtness today at the new Apple Store in Nashville. Several sold while I was in the store. Also there was a lot of calls about it while I was there. The battery is still charging, but so far I love it. What is this dock adapter for???

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ddma
Ordered right after the show on the Apple Online Store (Hong Kong) at HKT 9th 2AM and received a call today at HKT 10th and the iPod nano will be shipped before HKT 11th 3PM.
iChat me when you got it.

I went to the same Bellevue Square Apple Store around noon. It was busy there and a staff stood next to the white 2GB display unit. I pull out my black nano and compared it side by side. Actually, both looked great. One guy even asked for my black nano and examined it.

As I heard, the 4GB model has been sold out yesterday and only a few 2GB model left at the store. I'm glad to hear. Two of my co-workers, who are iPod mini owners, really want to get their hands on the black nano badly.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2005, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by chrisutley
The Nano flood gates have opened in Cincinnati... Saw no less than 6 go out the door when I went to pick-up my 4GB Black model at lunch. People are seriously digging this little bitch. I'm in love ... when they get something this size to 20GB, I will marry it.

Same thing here in NY. I stopped in for a few around 12p. People were lined up for it almost to the door.

I predict supply issues soon. Demand is going to be unheard of.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2005, 06:01 PM

Got mine today. I'm in love. Works with my old dock too, which I had heard it wouldn't fit.

jamester
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 06:04 PM

I just got my hands on a black 4GB nano. It's charging now. I ordered a white 4GB nano from the Apple Store website on the 7th, but the order is still "Preparing Shipment", and has been for about 24 hours now. :/

Dangit. Wife's gonna kill me when she sees I bought one from Apple Store Southpoint.
2.4GHz Macbook. 22" LCD. External 640GB HD. Yum.

DavisH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 06:21 PM

I couldn’t decide on a color, so I ordered both! White one shipped today and the black one is still on “processing order”, black must be the most popular color?

zankoku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2005, 07:01 PM

I picked up a 4GB white nano from the SF Apple Store just before lunch. I also ordered the same nano online the day it came out, but it's still "Preparing Shipment." So I'm going to have some problems with the girlfriend as well.

My friend purchased his black nano in store yesterday, but as of this morning black has sold out in both 2GB and 4GB sizes. So I'm guessing that black indeed is the new hotness.

Also, did everyone else get the nifty iPod nano bag? Very classy.

GoDucks
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 07:14 PM

Just picked up a Nano at the Apple Store in Yorkdale (Toronto.) They had plenty in stock when I was there but they were selling like hotcakes. (In the 10 minutes I waited in line to pay they sold at least 8 of them.)

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 9, 2005, 07:20 PM

I have mine. a black 4 gig. I'm amazed. This thing is so freakin' sweet. The photos look amazing even on the tiny screen.

New HOTNESS!

trevorM
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 07:59 PM

I am waiting for something with a bigger capacity.

If I can sell off my iPod mini for $50 or so I will pick a 4Gb up for the meantime.
Apple Powermac G5: Dual 1.85GHz | 80Gb System | 3Gb Ram | GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL | BT | Airport | Apple 30" Cinema HD Display Apple Powerbook AL G4: 12" | 1.5Ghz | 60b System | 1.25Gb Ram | Airport | BT Other: Airport Express | Airport Extreme | TiG4 PB 800Mhz | 20" iMac G5 w/ built in iSight | Swivel Screen iMac G4 800Mhz | iPod Mini | iPod Nano | Maxtor One Touch 250GB | Sony Ericsson T630

sc_markt
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2005, 10:32 PM

I got my first iPod (Nano, black 4GB) today at the Mission Viejo, CA store. So far, its great.

I do have one question: Can you download games and other apps to it?

- Mark

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I guess I'm just gonna break down and get this 4GB version. I'll use it the same way I would use the shuffle - during workouts or when carrying my iPod 20GB would be a bit more burdensome.

I'm lusting for an 8GB iPod nano. That's my sweet spot. I was envisioning seeing an 8GB iPod mini this week but those dreams died a quick death. I guess I'll be waiting quite a while for an 8GB nano... (sigh, shuffling feet).......

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2005, 11:06 PM

At noon today, Soho said that they had all models except the 4gb in black. I called back around 8:40, and they said they DID have it in, so I hopped a cab and made it there just in the nick of time. Who ever heard of a store closing at 9pm on a friday night? The Apple Store Soho literallly will give you one of your worst retail experiences every time you go there, the lines are ridiculous, I could go on and on...but I'm happy enough because I left there with my 4gb in black!

bytheby, they were selling like CRAZY. these are so gonna sell out if they don't have a major supply backup. i haven't opened it up yet, trying to figure out how to keep it fairly scratchless until i have a case/solution/clear decal or something.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 9, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by ort888
I guess I'm just gonna break down and get this 4GB version. I'll use it the same way I would use the shuffle - during workouts or when carrying my iPod 20GB would be a bit more burdensome.

I'm lusting for an 8GB iPod nano. That's my sweet spot. I was envisioning seeing an 8GB iPod mini this week but those dreams died a quick death. I guess I'll be waiting quite a while for an 8GB nano... (sigh, shuffling feet).......

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 12:12 AM

Hey, I didn't say that!

I'm not waiting for squat, I already have the Nano and I love it.

EFFENDI
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2005, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by cliffom

I go to that store too!

I will probably be picking up a Nano next week.

wilsonng
Senior User
Sep 10, 2005, 01:47 AM

oops.... sorry ort888, I posted before I previewed..... Quote originally from trevorM

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 10, 2005, 03:29 AM

My first iPod with a screen, a black 4gb iPod Nano from the Denver Apple store (as the littleton one was out of Black 4gb units).

I'm glad this isn't the player that holds my entire collection (thats still the job of the gapless hierarchal playlist Rio Karma player I own), but it is a nice replacement for the Shuffle I had for podcast playback.

The size for the capacity is just amazing.
<This space under renovation>

jamester
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 07:20 AM

That's my question... how to keep it from getting scratched. So far, I'm just putting it back in the little clear wrapper that it comes in. I just wish they'd hurry up with the nano tubes already.

Maybe that's part of the plan... get a bunch of nano's out there, then when the fairly anal owners like me see that they're all scratched up before the nano tubes arrive, we buy another with the tubes?

cliffom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2005, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by jamester
That's my question... how to keep it from getting scratched. So far, I'm just putting it back in the little clear wrapper that it comes in. I just wish they'd hurry up with the nano tubes already.

Maybe that's part of the plan... get a bunch of nano's out there, then when the fairly anal owners like me see that they're all scratched up before the nano tubes arrive, we buy another with the tubes?
Yea, I sort of understand why they don't release the accessories for a few weeks after the nano release, but I don't want too .

Keeping this think scratchless for the next few weeks is going to be next to impossible, it is just too beautiful. Yesterday a coworker put a minor scuff on the upper corner of my screen (you have to really look for it to see it) when he was holding it and had to answer a call on his RAZR. I'll be damned if he just held the nano right up against the RAZR, I was ready to kill him.

Apple has made me want both colors

jamester
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 11:16 AM

I should be getting the White by Tuesday and will see which one I like better. Wife's not 100% convinced that she wants one yet, and if she decides she doesn't, I'll probably sell the other. :/

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2005, 02:55 PM

keeping an ipod scratchless in general is nearly impossible. listen to it, dont look at the back of it.

jamester
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2005, 06:02 PM

Lucky for me, nearly is not completely! I do listen to it, and I love to listen to it, but I also like to keep it nice. No harm in that, I suppose?

Forum Links
Forum Rules