Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do apps run on Mac?

How do apps run on Mac?
warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2005, 01:54 PM

I am sorry to everyone who has good workable knowledge of OSX, but I am very new to Mac.

I would like to know the best way to uninstall apps on OSX. I read to just delete the file folders for it but I reinstalled and it was still slugish like the uninstall wasn't clean. All my settings were still on the machine.

Another quick question is if this is true, does that mean that the applications are never installed and just run on top of the software, meaning no registry and no embedment into OSX?

Thank you for any help provided.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2005, 02:14 PM

Just trash them. No registry, no "embedment" into the OS.

If you have problems with the application it often helps to just delete its preferences. You find the preferences in the folder:

<yourhomefolder>/Library/Preferences/

and the preferences file is called after this scheme:

com.<companyname>.<applicationname>.plist

(might be .org, .net, .de etc. depending on the URL of the company). The preferences of Safari are called

com.apple.Safari.plist

for example.

Some applications install add-ons to themselves in the folder

<yourhomefolder>/Library/Application Support/

or

<yourharddrive>/Library/Application Support/

If you want to be thorough when deleting applications you can look into these folders whether something from that application is in there.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 02:21 PM

Few, but some apps have special uninstall scripts. These are usually poorly written apps. Take Office 2004 for example, it comes with a special uninstall app, so my guess is that it goes and installs files all over your system to make it run, and therefore needs an uninstaller to go back and remove these files.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Few, but some apps have special uninstall scripts. These are usually poorly written apps. Take Office 2004 for example, it comes with a special uninstall app, so my guess is that it goes and installs files all over your system to make it run, and therefore needs an uninstaller to go back and remove these files.
And notice who wrote that app!

When I throw stuff away, I usually type the name into Spotlight. It finds everything instantly. Most of the time, things aren't scattered. Devs that tend to write for both the PC and the Mac tend to scatter stuff all over the place. Let Spotlight help.

The good thing about all of this is that you can feel confident in trying all kinds of shareware/freeware/etc. Have fun with this. There is a lot of great stuff out there for the Mac.

Welcome to the Mac warfarer.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2005, 07:12 PM

Even Office doesn't install files all over the place. Only a folder with preferences in your preferences folder. But every app does that...

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 20, 2005, 07:53 PM

And read the sticky on this forum: "Uninstalling Applications." Installation is pretty much as simple as it can get, and uninstallation mirrors that.

If your system is sluggish, maybe it's because it needs attention. Is your computer not on 24/7? If so, there are a bunch of automated housekeeping functions that are probably not doing their thing because they're scheduled to run at odd times -like the middle of the night- and since your computer is off, they can't run.

I recommend trying Mac Janitor to clean up your system.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mindwaves
Nov 20, 2005, 09:17 PM

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 03:47 AM

I recommend trying Mac Janitor to clean up your system.
Or just leave your computer on overnight every once in a while.

It can also help to log out then back in - clears out cache files. I usually get back 300-500Mb of disk space.

If an application seems to be freaking out you can try logging in as another user and try the app from there. Every user has his own prefs, so if it works fine in a different account then you simply need to zap your prefs (and/or application support files) as mentioned above. If not then we'll need more information, like which app it is and your credit card number.
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 05:13 AM

If you install Anacron, you won't need MacJanitor.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2005, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter
If your system is sluggish, maybe it's because it needs attention. Is your computer not on 24/7? If so, there are a bunch of automated housekeeping functions that are probably not doing their thing because they're scheduled to run at odd times -like the middle of the night- and since your computer is off, they can't run.
That is not true in Tiger any more. If a scheduled task can't run because the computer is off or asleep at the time, it will run at the next opportunity. You don't need to use any "maintenance" programs.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Even Office doesn't install files all over the place. Only a folder with preferences in your preferences folder. But every app does that...
In fact, you can just copy Office from one machine to another like any other app without running any installation script.

In general, there's no need at all to go deleting your library preferences unless you're trying to eke out every last free megabyte from your hard disk. It's nothing like how Windows works, where your whole registry and every version of every library ever installed gets loaded at start-up.

One of the weirdest things to get used to when switching from Windows to a Mac is that no maintenance is required of the user, and the system doesn't deteriorate like a Windows installation does unless you screw around with it. My Mac-hating boss was surprised to learn from me how the Mac's file system defragments and optimizes itself on the fly, unlike Windows, which needs regular defragmenting (and even re-installing) to keep performance up.

warfarer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 10:59 AM

I have constantly been playing with my powerbok since last Tuesday and I have pretty much decided on my core software. Photoshop for imaging, NeoOfficeJ for my office suite (which I am very impressed with except the slow startup with it), Dreamweaver for web publishing and the basic iApps for audio and video for now. I have not, however, gotten used to having to closedown each app yet. 20 years of Windows will do that to you. I love it so far, but not sure why... It seems to be a virus.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 11:34 AM

I also don't love how some applications take a while to start... the trick is... get more RAM and don't shut them down.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2005, 12:11 PM

I think their uninstaller just deletes prefs for you.

If you ever installed Office 2004 yourself, you'd know it's a drag-and-drop install -- you don't even need to use the installer.

When it runs the first time, it installs fonts (into your username's fonts folder, not systemwide, so it doesn't ask for admin privileges). That's it.

The only things Office writes is its own folder in Applications, the fonts, and preferences. It's a very well-behaved citizen. Don't go bashing it, when it is a textbook example of how a Mac program should be installed and uninstalled.

tooki

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by warfarer
... I have not, however, gotten used to having to closedown each app yet. 20 years of Windows will do that to you. I love it so far, but not sure why... It seems to be a virus.
You don't have to "closedown" each app. The whole point is to have all the programs you normally use each day open and available with one click.

What "seems to be a virus"? Nobody has found one yet on OS X. If you have (which isn't likely), you would be the first.

warfarer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 21, 2005, 07:11 PM

"seems to be a virus" that I referred to was a crappy joke about how I can't seem to quit messing with this thing. My PC is getting jealous.
iStink (with my Mac)

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 09:03 PM

Yeah, don't shut down apps. If the app is in the background, it acts the same as if it is off. Unless of course, you have it downloading or processing something while you are working on something else.

I always have about a dozen apps on at the same time on my PowerBook, put it to sleep, start it up, etc with no problems. Pretty much the only time I turn everything off is when an Apple update requires a restart.

And yes, you can drag the MS office application to another machine and it will work. Just don't forget to also drag the user info from your Documents folder and the .plist if you want to keep your preferences.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 21, 2005, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
If the app is in the background, it acts the same as if it is off. Unless of course, you have it downloading or processing something while you are working on something else.
If only...

On OS X, it shouldn't make any difference whether an app is in the foreground or not: it shouldn't be using any CPU if you're not doing anything, and it should only ever use enough CPU to do the tasks it is currently executing.

Many apps are lousily written, and consume some CPU when idle, be they in the background or foreground. (MS Office is a culprit here, using about 1-2% CPU per app when sitting idle on my PowerBook G4/1.25.)

tooki

kcmac
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2005, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
If only...

On OS X, it shouldn't make any difference whether an app is in the foreground or not: it shouldn't be using any CPU if you're not doing anything, and it should only ever use enough CPU to do the tasks it is currently executing.

Many apps are lousily written, and consume some CPU when idle, be they in the background or foreground. (MS Office is a culprit here, using about 1-2% CPU per app when sitting idle on my PowerBook G4/1.25.)

tooki
Even so. My point is that you can leave multiple apps open, get a lot of work done and not worry about shutting things down. OS X is way better at this than the Windows machine I use at work.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 21, 2005, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
If you install Anacron, you won't need MacJanitor.
I didn't know about Anachron. Have to check that out... Thanks.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I didn't know about Anachron. Have to check that out... Thanks.

There is no point in using this on Tiger.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 22, 2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Even so. My point is that you can leave multiple apps open, get a lot of work done and not worry about shutting things down. OS X is way better at this than the Windows machine I use at work.
Granted, yes. I leave most my apps open all the time, too. It certainly doesn't bog things down, usually.

tooki

jay3ld
Senior User
Nov 22, 2005, 12:34 AM

Granted, yes. I leave most my apps open all the time, too. It certainly doesn't bog things down, usually.

tooki
what if my mac is bogging down when running applications? i dont really notice it. but when i start up a video game and go play i notice my fps is low (10 - 20). but if i quit everything (including finder) but the game and teamspeex it jumps up to about 40 - 50.. even itunes slows me down.. kinda bugs me i cant run to many apps.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 22, 2005, 03:38 AM

Modern games are particularly demanding programs. It's not surprising that they need every iota of power your computer has.

tooki

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2005, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by warfarer
I love it so far, but not sure why... It seems to be a virus.
There *is* something about this Apple stuff, isn't there?

Welcome to Macintosh; enjoy your stay.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2005, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Office also installs some typefaces in your fonts folder (not that that's harmful in any way) and a "Microsoft User Data" folder in your own Documents folder (which you can move to home/Library/Preferences if you want - it will apparently still work fine).

But true, there are no weird executable files thrown all over your hard drive, and nothing to slow down your system after you delete the Microsoft Office folder from /Applications.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2005, 05:16 AM

I think their uninstaller just deletes prefs for you.

If you ever installed Office 2004 yourself, you'd know it's a drag-and-drop install -- you don't even need to use the installer.

When it runs the first time, it installs fonts (into your username's fonts folder, not systemwide, so it doesn't ask for admin privileges). That's it.

The only things Office writes is its own folder in Applications, the fonts, and preferences. It's a very well-behaved citizen. Don't go bashing it, when it is a textbook example of how a Mac program should be installed and uninstalled.

tooki
Edit: damn you, analogika beat me by 2 minutes...

It does create a Microsoft User Date folder in your Documents folder rather than Library/Application Support, which is a bit naughty (although I understand it is safe to hide it).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain

It does create a Microsoft User Date folder in your Documents folder rather than Library/Application Support, which is a bit naughty (although I understand it is safe to hide it).
Here's an Easter Egg - if you drag the Microsoft User Data folder to your ~/Library/Preferences folder, it stays there (and Word uses it instead of making a new one in ~/Documents!). It only seems to work for ~/Library/Preferences though - putting it in Application Support results in a new one getting created in ~/Documents. This sure beats going and making it invisible, though!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 22, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL

There is no point in using this on Tiger.
But I'm not running Tiger yet...Too busy to play with it and too poor to pay for it-a bad combination for me. Once we do move up though, I'm glad to hear I won't have to worry about such things.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2005, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Here's an Easter Egg - if you drag the Microsoft User Data folder to your ~/Library/Preferences folder, it stays there (and Word uses it instead of making a new one in ~/Documents!). It only seems to work for ~/Library/Preferences though - putting it in Application Support results in a new one getting created in ~/Documents. This sure beats going and making it invisible, though!
I mentioned that rigght above his post.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Nov 22, 2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by monkeybrain

How, pray tell, is it "naughty" for a program to put its documents in the Documents folder? The Microsoft User Data folder stores the user's Entourage files, as well as other user files shared between the Office apps. Documents is exactly where I expect an email program and PIM to store its data. I'd be annoyed if it didn't.

tooki

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 05:26 AM

Applications are supposed to store their data in the Application Support folder. The Documents folder is where a User stores their documents, there should be nothing in there that the User didn't put there. Do you want Mail to store it's emails in the Documents folder? And your Address Book data? It would become full of stuff very quickly, negating the point of giving the user a Documents folder in the first place.

CaptainHaddock
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 23, 2005, 05:27 AM

How, pray tell, is it "naughty" for a program to put its documents in the Documents folder?

Personally, I consider the Documents folder, like almost every other folder outside the Library, to be out-of-bounds for applications to store things. Otherwise, you end up with crap all over the place like Windows. An application should at least ask before it starts modifying or adding to the contents of your Documents folder.

Edit: Monkeybrain said it better than me.

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 05:49 AM

The User Data folder is not documents so much as support files, things the user does not touch directly. MS should put this folder in ~/Library/Application Support where it belongs.

I see the Documents folder as a place to keep files that you actually double click or drag onto an application, something you created and named explicitly. You know, a "document". Things created by an application for it's own evil purposes like spelling dictionaries and custom paint brushes belong under the hood in Library.

This makes it easy to tell your mom "don't touch anything in the library folder". You don't have to follow that with: "or in the MS User folder under Docs, or the Fred Corp Plugins folder on the desktop". etc., etc.

Besides, having a rational pre-defined structure drives those OS9 guys nuts, and what's more fun than that?
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

Gavin
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 05:51 AM

Wow - 2 posts in ahead of mine. In the middle of the night even. Damn I type slowly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gavin
The User Data folder is not documents so much as support files, things the user does not touch directly. MS should put this folder in ~/Library/Application Support where it belongs.
Unfortunately MS is not alone in this "Let's put it in the Documents folder!" mentality. In my Documents folder I find:
AdobeStockPhotos (Apparently Adobe doesn't know how to put spaces in filenames)
FCP (Granted, that can be moved or created anywhere)
Motion Documents
Quicken Backup Folder
Quicken data.qdmf
Roxio Converted Items

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

pliny
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2005, 10:45 AM

Putting stuff in the Documents folder I bet is a carryover from OS 9, where several apps stored data. MS, Mozilla, Toast and Appleworks come to mind as doing this in 9. Of these in OS X, only Mozilla has moved their support files into /Application Support.

So there seems to be a bit of sloppiness even on Apple's part about being consistent with placing supporting files. Personally I think Application Support is best for user data/profiles folders and such, since application support files tend to sound at home in the directory called....Application Support. Documents does seem to be more useful for just user created files.

As mentioend, its also a good way to set boundaries for people who get scared around computer folders.
i look in your general direction

Forum Links
Forum Rules