Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How many MacBook buyers here are "switchers"?

How many MacBook buyers here are "switchers"?
Rumz
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 09:56 PM

I realize that the MacBook is on the higher end of the spectrum (price-wise), but I'm still curious: Of those who've ordered a MacBook Pro, how many of you are buying your first Mac? How much does it have to do with the switch to Intel? If any Intel iMac users are browsing feel free to chime in on whether that was your first Mac.

I'm a switcher. I will continue to have a PC at home for the odd task and for playing games for the time being. I told myself I'd buy an intel mac because I'd probably be able to install windows for playing games or using those other apps, but that was mostly just my PC background rationalizing my turning to the other side.

It took about 2 years of constant exposure to using a Mac to want to buy my own, but slowly I think I've been seduced to the point where I'm considering going all Mac. I feel like Apple's software is just that good these days. I didn't love OS 9 or the G4 I used for a year, but Tiger and the innovation from Apple lately has been another thing entirely. Normally I'd not care for proprietary hardware but Apple backs it up with great software-- unlike most other proprietary hardware vendors (even if most of the parts in the macs w/ intel are essentially the same as what you can find in PCs these days).

Though I first hated how expensive a G5 was compared to what I could build a speedy Athlon 64 for, I've realized there's more to it than just hardware. I am willing to pay for the whole deal-- value, quality, the experience, etc (and to be honest, for similar hardware /bells/whistles, the MacBook is fairly priced anyways-- I simply had to take off my PC goggles). Growing popularity of Macs only means more software available to me, as well. Seems like a great time to switch. I'm sold.

So who else is switching and thrilled with the prospect? I used to think those "switch" commercials were so lame...

(It's too bad Apple doesn't have some sort of trade-in deal where they give you a discount on Mac hardware for turning in your PC stuff, haha)

So-- switchers? Share your story if you like-- or just say whether you're a switcher. I realize we have a lot of Mac veterans on this board.
( Last edited by Rumz; Feb 15, 2006 at 10:03 PM. )

skcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rumz
I realize that the MacBook is on the higher end of the spectrum (price-wise), but I'm still curious: Of those who've ordered a MacBook Pro, how many of you are buying your first Mac? How much does it have to do with the switch to Intel? If any Intel iMac users are browsing feel free to chime in on whether that was your first Mac.

I'm a switcher. I will continue to have a PC at home for the odd task and for playing games for the time being. I told myself I'd buy an intel mac because I'd probably be able to install windows for playing games or using those other apps, but that was mostly just my PC background rationalizing my turning to the other side.

It took about 2 years of constant exposure to using a Mac to want to buy my own, but slowly I think I've been seduced to the point where I'm considering going all Mac. I feel like Apple's software is just that good these days. I didn't love OS 9 or the G4 I used for a year, but Tiger and the innovation from Apple lately has been another thing entirely. Normally I'd not care for proprietary hardware but Apple backs it up with great software-- unlike most other proprietary hardware vendors (even if most of the parts in the macs w/ intel are essentially the same as what you can find in PCs these days).

Though I first hated how expensive a G5 was compared to what I could build a speedy Athlon 64 for, I've realized there's more to it than just hardware. I am willing to pay for the whole deal-- value, quality, the experience, etc (and to be honest, for similar hardware /bells/whistles, the MacBook is fairly priced anyways-- I simply had to take off my PC goggles). Growing popularity of Macs only means more software available to me, as well. Seems like a great time to switch. I'm sold.

So who else is switching and thrilled with the prospect? I used to think those "switch" commercials were so lame...

(It's too bad Apple doesn't have some sort of trade-in deal where they give you a discount on Mac hardware for turning in your PC stuff, haha)

I too am a recent mac convert. This will be my first mac laptop. I ordered the 2.0ghz with 2gb ram and I am quite excited. My friend has been a loyal mac user for years and has converted me and slowly I try to convert others. I got my first imac in 7/2005 power pc and am now making the leap to the macbook pro and am quite excited.

Borman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 10:12 PM

Im a switcher I too hated all Mac OS's before OSX, but man, after using it for a short period, im hooked. I cant wait until my MacBook comes

RussGJohnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 11:47 PM

I am a somewhat recent switcher (3 years ago) and I just convinced my uncle to order a new 2.16 Macbook Pro for his video production needs. I guess 3 years and a half a dozen trips to his place (always showing off my latest Powerbook!!) to clean/repair his wintel boxes finally got through to him.
15" Macbook Pro 2.16, 2GB, 7200rpm HD (on order)
15" Powerbook 1.67, 1GB, HR Screen (looking for a buyer)

d4rkm4c
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 11:51 PM

I used macs about 8-9 years ago and switched to PC's until now. I am tired of poorly built PC's and Asus has nothing coming out for another month or so...not to mention that macs are beautiful (is Asus manufacturing any of these???). Anyways, the x1600, intel cpu, and my recent found fondness for OSX helped also. I dual boot linux and xp on PC's, and the possibility of running all OS's on this machine would be absoltely wonderful. I've got a 1.83 being shipped on the 8th of March hopefully

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 12:06 AM

I'm a switcher. I haven't ordered yet, as I'm waiting for the in-depth reviews to see if there are any fatal flaws with the MBP... and also waiting for the funding source called "graduation present" that comes in a few months . I've always had PCs, but I've wanted a mac for years now (my Dell desktop is going on 6 years old). I'm really looking forward to the MBP, for more reasons than most people here. It will be more of a speed upgrade for me than for most; I'm looking forward to sailing through daily tasks and being able to play some games released in, say, the last three years. In addition, this will be my first laptop, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of not being chained to my desk. Finally, it'll be my first Mac. I don't think I need to explain to this forum why that's such a wonderful thing.

I feel kind of nervous saying these things while using my old computer... I hope it doesn't take offense and decide to crash! To be honest, this computer really has served me well, and with the stability advances that came with Windows XP, I will be leaving Windows without bitterness. Mac may be better, but for me at least, that doesn't mean Windows is worthless.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2006, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by d4rkm4c
I used macs about 8-9 years ago and switched to PC's until now. I am tired of poorly built PC's and Asus has nothing coming out for another month or so...not to mention that macs are beautiful (is Asus manufacturing any of these???). Anyways, the x1600, intel cpu, and my recent found fondness for OSX helped also. I dual boot linux and xp on PC's, and the possibility of running all OS's on this machine would be absoltely wonderful. I've got a 1.83 being shipped on the 8th of March hopefully
Last I read, Asustek and Quanta are both going to produce the Intel based Mac laptops... I'm not sure who is doing the 15" MBP (could be both).

morffius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 12:32 AM

I sold my IBM T43 for this Macbook pro. I was actually dual booting OSX and Winblows off the T43 (2 HDs) and that convinced me to get a Macbook.

Rumz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Barefoot Matt
I feel kind of nervous saying these things while using my old computer... I hope it doesn't take offense and decide to crash! To be honest, this computer really has served me well, and with the stability advances that came with Windows XP, I will be leaving Windows without bitterness. Mac may be better, but for me at least, that doesn't mean Windows is worthless.
Good heavens, 6 years yeah you're due for a new computer. Seems like I get a new one every 3 years...

Knock on wood there. Since I first ordered my MBP both of my desktop PCs have had hardware issues pop up (Athlon 64-based XPC by Shuttle decided it didn't like having 2 dimms / dual channel anymore, is now unstable with both memory slots populated) and my other machine has had a few more hiccups than normal... hence my tinkering with the idea of going all mac. I should knock on wood too... I'm an Apple fan now but I know that even Macs have issues sometimes too.

Just one more month till it ships

D14852001_neko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2006, 01:51 AM

I am a switcher *flashback of "I am a wizard" "yeah, but not a ninja"* but I haven't bought the MBP yet... I WILL in march... or somewhere around mid april.... but I wiiiiiiiiill get the MBP...

I am sick of windows, and linux way toooooooooo complicated (thou I love SuSE) oh well... MBP... nice...
D14852001::neko.eth0

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 16, 2006, 09:11 AM

I bought my PB with my eyes closed. I just wanted something different from what I was living with. Reading stories about Macs(I don't know anyone who owns a Mac) I thought they were interesting machines. When I needed a laptop I went for Apple mainly because I got this incredibly good feeling. I never used MacOSX(or any Apple for that matter) so everything was new, and guess what? I have no regrets at all! It replaced my desktop system completely. I almost don't use that system anymore except as a media streamer for my fellow housemates, because the PB isn't always there.
So, this coming from someone who took the plunge and ended up higher than the point where he jumped from, Apples and MacOSX Rock

Edit:
Btw, having to deal with maintaining windows machines from friends and families, I'm demanding that the next system they buy will be a Mac(iMac probably). My mom(I guess women in general) tend to screw up windows boxes more frequently than men, that results in some major pain in my butt because I'm the guy they come running to. When everybody who owns a PC that I maintain moves to the Mac platform my life will become, in the beginning, more hectic, but in the end way more relaxed. Long live the Mac
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

atc ben
Feb 16, 2006, 12:56 PM

I will be a "switcher" as soon as I start seeing more off the apps I use (Photoshop CS3 primarily) running natively on the new mactels OR I might pull the trigger when Vista comes out - whichever comes first. That may at least give me the possibility of running my Windows apps natively until the new Mac versions are released. It just isn't worth spending $2500.00 for a new laptop, and it be a dog because apps are running under Rosetta. Not to mention having to buy a $600.00 license for CS2 Mac and then I'd have to upgrade that to get it native. I could be wrong, but I just don't think this is a good time for "switchers" unless you're just doing basic internet surfing and e-mail on your new Mac.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

Rumz  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 02:41 PM

Yeah it would help if more software was universal, but I think mainly those heavily reliant on Adobe can be the only ones who really would best be suited to wait.

But how many people who are heavy Adobe users are on PCs right now? I suppose there could be more than I think...

I’ll have to agree with Sijmen— I’d like for my relatives that rely on me for PC support to go Mac— I usually have a trouble free system (as far as keeping it clean from virus/spyware etc) but they just screw their machines up royally. It seems like it’d be a lot harder for them to screw things up on a Mac— correct me if I’m wrong.

Barefoot Matt
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rumz
But how many people who are heavy Adobe users are on PCs right now? I suppose there could be more than I think...
I used to work for a professional portrait photographer. He isn't very computer savvy, so I think he just bought whatever computer the guy at the store told him to get. So, there's one PC user who uses Photoshop all the time.

jrramsey
Forum Regular
Feb 16, 2006, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by atc ben
I will be a "switcher" as soon as I start seeing more off the apps I use (Photoshop CS3 primarily) running natively on the new mactels OR I might pull the trigger when Vista comes out - whichever comes first. That may at least give me the possibility of running my Windows apps natively until the new Mac versions are released. It just isn't worth spending $2500.00 for a new laptop, and it be a dog because apps are running under Rosetta. Not to mention having to buy a $600.00 license for CS2 Mac and then I'd have to upgrade that to get it native. I could be wrong, but I just don't think this is a good time for "switchers" unless you're just doing basic internet surfing and e-mail on your new Mac.
VISTA!!!!??? Check this out...Mac OS-X has been there and done most of it.

http://www.maclive.net/sid/134

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2006, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by atc ben
Just in case you or other switchers aren't aware, but Adobe and other pro software companies tend to (or at least they used to...) offer cross-grade pricing for software you own on one platform when you switch to another.

atc ben
Feb 16, 2006, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by jrramsey
VISTA!!!!??? Check this out...Mac OS-X has been there and done most of it.

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with the actual appeal of Vista vs. OS-X. It has to do with the possibility of my PC software running natively at least until Mactel versions are available. If Vista happened to come before CS3, that is. Would I like to dual boot anyway? Yes. But that would just be a bonus.

Originally Posted by JKT
Just in case you or other switchers aren't aware, but Adobe and other pro software companies tend to (or at least they used to...) offer cross-grade pricing for software you own on one platform when you switch to another.
Actually, I hadn't even considered this, so thanks. There is still the fact that the software won't be running natively until the new version, and this doesn't really appeal to me when the MBP costs what it does. We'll see though. If Photoshop CS2 runs reasonably fast under Rosetta, this may be an option. Thanks for the tip.
-Ben- 15" Macbook Pro 2.33, 2GB RAM, 160HD, Matte
My

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2006, 08:06 AM

I was just mentioning it for future reference and for those that have already taken the plunge. To be honest, I'm not sure that they still do this or not, so remember to ask before making any decisions.

However, it may be possible to run Windows CS2 on the intel Macs through Darwine before Adobe gets CS3 out (Photoshop 6 for Windows apparently runs already) - I'd keep an eye out for that to see if it happens as you may be able to get by without having to buy the Mac version at all. There are no guarantees that it will, mind.

Forum Links
Forum Rules