Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Computer use

Computer use
eStar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2006, 10:46 PM

I have an iBook G4 and I usually like to leave my computer on so I can recieve various messages while I am away from it.

My question is, how safe is it to keep my computer on nearly 24/7? (With the backlight off and minimal applications running.)

Probably not a good idea but I wanted to make sure...

I left my computer on for abput 24 hours today and I came home to find the the computer was a little warm but no noise was coming from it.

Thanks everyone!

P.s. I will be traveling to europe (greece to be specific) and I was wondering if I need the adapter from apple or if I can use any adapter?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 15, 2006, 02:16 AM

It doesn't really matter that much if you leave it on all the time. I believe there are some long threads in the PowerBook forum about it if you want to do a search.

As for the adapter, the Apple AC adapter can be used worldwide, but you do need to get some kind of plug adapter that allows you to physically plug the AC adapter into the wall. I don't know what shape plug they have in Greece, but any travel shop should be able to help you out.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 15, 2006, 02:26 AM

Hello eStar. I think you'll find that most people here leave their Macs on for most of the time, with rare exception. It should be perfectly fine, as long as you remember to set the display to blank.

masugu
Senior User
May 15, 2006, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Hello eStar. I think you'll find that most people here leave their Macs on for most of the time, with rare exception. It should be perfectly fine, as long as you remember to set the display to blank.
Yes. Most of the flammable battery issues have been resolved / replaced by now I think.

I just would not leave the new Mac Book on top of a shag carpet or kindling wood!

ghporter
Administrator
May 15, 2006, 08:54 PM

My wife's iBook is often on 24/7 with no ill effects. And DO NOT believe people who say that keeping a battery "charging" indefinitely is bad for it; the iBook is smart enough to only charge the battery when it needs it, otherwise it runs off AC power when it's plugged in.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules