Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Defects right out of the box? Goddammit Apple.

Defects right out of the box? Goddammit Apple.
p0stman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 10:03 PM

I feel like I want to cry.

I just returned my Macbook 1.83 which I was happy with and decided to refund and upgrade to a 2.0... Which I just got about an hour and a half ago. However, this apparently "sealed" box came with many unpleasant defects. Also, the new store I purchased this from (who has an apple authorized service center as well) kept their mouth shut about their no-exchange no-refund policy. Even on defected items.

I am furious right now.

To start things off, the 'new' Macbook case is scratched up badly. And I mean badly. This is totally unacceptable. Moreover, there are brown spots over the cover, and the bottom of it looks like someone greased it up, and was also scratched. It has little specs of what seemed to be white plastic dust sticking to the cover. It also had some tiny black specs over it and when you try to wipe these off they turn into a BIG brown mark. WTF? The inside, however, was clean. The keyboard has a really sharp clicking sounds when you let go after pressing down a key... I don't really remember this in the 1.83... is this common?

That's not the end of the problem. The screen is washed up and there is noticeably less contrast as compared to the 1.83 I had. I mean the red 'close window' botton looks light brown. This gets worse as you go down to the bottom of the screen. The dock appears to have a white tint over it. Also, the LCD seems to be misasligned. The left side is higher than the right, and the bottom corners of the screen are darker than the rest. When these text I'm typing reach the bottom they become very 'thin' and is hard to read. Moreover, whenever the screen moves a little bit there are huge ripples on the left and right side. Lastly, the built in isight has a blueish tint. I don't remember this in my old 1.83. Also, is the power cord supposed to be gray vs the plug? Or are they both supposed to be the same color?

I am royally pissed at both Apple and the store. I hope Apple will do something about this? And since the whole point of me buying retail was to use it right away (need it urgently for school work,) I pray that apple won't take 2 month to service this problem.

Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2006, 10:06 PM

The best advice is to not buy from a store if you don't know their return policy.

Sounds like the store screwed you. I don't see how this is Apple's fault at all. More than likely Apple will replace it, though. Call them and tell them what happened.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Karpfish
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

did you talk to the manager at the store? if they dont do something about it i would get their name and call apple support and argue like hell until u get a new one

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 20, 2006, 10:09 PM

Check your local laws. Most states REQUIRE sellers to take returns for refund of products within a specific period of time-and often disallow even signed waivers of such rights. Plus you bought this with the understanding that it was NEW, and it's obviously not-that's fraud. Small claims court (typically up to $5000 disputes) usually takes only very modest filing fees, and you can "nusiance" the shop into not only doing the right thing but making other concessions. Note that failing to show up to defend oneself in small claims court usually results in a default judgement in favor of the plaintiff-which would be you in this case.

And let Apple know that they have authorized a rip-off shop. They won't like that.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

vinster
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 10:10 PM

Name and link to the store please? Looks like they deserve some shame for not working with you.

Why didn't you just exchange at the other store where you bought the 1.83Ghz model?

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 10:20 PM

http://www.rideaucentre.net/forms/in...=17&storeid=47

I did not exchange it at the other store because they have no 2.0 models in stock.

I bought it at the Rideau Center mall in Ottawa, Canada, in a store called Compusmart Express. I think they have their dedicated website.

I have been talking to the manager all along. He says the store policy will only replace items that are dead like a rock and won't turn on. For God's sake If I had a model with black permanent marker written all over it and I open it in front of his face he probably won't exchange it.

iWeb update 1.1.1 - 95.2 MB and Mac OS X Update (Intel) 10.4.7 - 136 MB are failing to update for some reason. All the other updates were successful. WTF.

Where should I call for Apple? Are they available now?

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 10:35 PM

http://www.compusmart.com/FAQ/Returns.aspx#2

Do they have a return policy afterall? Was the manager BS? I'm too frustrated (and trying to study for organic chemistry) to trust my own judgement... can you guys please help me have a look? :/

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2006, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Return Policy
All defective products will be repaired or replaced according to the original manufacturer's warranty terms and conditions.
Hm. Seems you're covered. Are you within 14 days of purchase?

I know that Canada has much stricter consumer protection laws than the United States, so you might want to check out your local laws.
Linkinus is king.

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 12:42 AM

I purchased it less than 5 hours ago... but...

The manager told me I could not get a refund or exchange... as a result I think I left my receipt somewhere in the store...

S#$%.

patrix
Sep 21, 2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by p0stman
I purchased it less than 5 hours ago... but...

The manager told me I could not get a refund or exchange... as a result I think I left my receipt somewhere in the store...

S#$%.
Are you serious? You got rid of your only real proof of purchase which is required for any kind of refund, exchange, support, and probably if you get that far the court, etc?

FWIW, I bought my Macbook at the very same Compusmart; before paying I saw the sign on the counter talking about the refund policy, and I asked about it, and the guy told me it didn't apply to the Macbook (or other really expensive equipment, once the box is open) - although they would replace it if it was completely dead. Otherwise I was stuck with service, Applecare, etc. Even more reason to keep the receipt My Macbook's been fine though...

Patrix.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2006, 09:18 AM

You left the receipt sitting there in the store and now you want help from us?!! You're screwed, sir...

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 10:57 AM

Bah. I guess it's Applecare now.

polpo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 11:30 AM

I recommend going back to the store as soon as humanly possible to get your receipt back, or to dig it out of their trash if they've thrown it away.

vinster
Senior User
Sep 21, 2006, 11:51 AM

Definitely try to get the original receipt or have them print a copy and let us know your results with Apple.

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 12:38 PM

Went back to the store right when they opened today! Came across a new manager who was really nice about it. He authorized a replacement even without the receipt! Said he put himself in my shoes and is gonna take the heat for me for this.

I also emailed the company yesterday and bitched about this. They apologized for this and said would notify the regional seller. This probably had an effect.

The new one works wonderfully! Feels like an elephant has been lifted off my back. Willbe trying to get 2 Gb ram into it since OS X is apparently a memory hog.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2006, 01:37 PM

I'm glad you worked it out but I still can't believe you left the receipt in the store which is just incredibly stupid.

Even if the store doesn't allow returns don't you think Apple might want a copy of that receipt for any repairs?

You got lucky this time.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2006, 04:42 PM

Yes I was... they issused me a new receipt. I get forgetful in situations like that X_X.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2006, 08:45 AM

It's hard to think when you're so utterly flabergasted-I've been there myself. Give p0stman a little slack... But not much. p0stman, getting that far out of control could have gotten you into some big trouble; I think you're lucky the Thursday manager was cool, or you'd definitely been up the creek.

And make sure you update the company with how WELL the Thursday manager took care of you. It would be great if you had digital photos of the "bad" computer too-show them how really terrible it was, and then how pleased you are about the resolution. They really aught to comp you something for one of their employees messing you over like that. That's "mental cruelty" in my book.

rmansfield
Sep 22, 2006, 09:55 AM

I'm glad to hear there are some people out there (i.e. the Thursday manager) who follow the golden rule: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (Luke 6:31).

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Sep 22, 2006, 06:11 PM

Good thing to keep in mind on any purchase is if possible use a major credit card, as many will double the manufacturers warranty, and at least, have procedures in place to recover your losses should the merchandise you buy with it be fraudulent or defective. Plus they can provide proof that you did purchase an item at a store, even if you lost your receipt.
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

p0stman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 07:11 PM

I used my debit for this transaction simply because my credit card caps out at $1000. Luckily the manager was able to access the store records and confirm the purchase.

I love people.
2.0 GHz White Macbook 2.0 GB RAM 60 GB HD
iPod Nano Black 2 GB
1.5 GHz Powerbook G4 12" 768 MB RAM 60 GB HD (KIA)

jclarkv
Forum Regular
Sep 25, 2006, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Check your local laws. Most states REQUIRE sellers to take returns for refund of products within a specific period of time-and often disallow even signed waivers of such rights.
Why does Apple tell people they can't return their built-to-order products then? I have a 4 day old 24" iMac that just died. I would much rather return it for a full refund and just get a MacPro.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 09:40 AM

BTO is NOT something you buy at a brick-and-mortar store. Custom made products are almost always excluded from the return requirements in local laws specifically because of the custom nature of those products. However, if you walk into a car dealership and buy a car off the lot, that is NOT a custom product-and neither is a boxed, off-the-shelf Mac.

As for your BTO iMac, you've run into an issue with the warranty, not "buyer's remorse." That's a completely different matter.

Forum Links
Forum Rules