Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Phone to use with iSync?

Phone to use with iSync?
nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 04:41 PM

I'm looking into upgrading my Motorola e815 on Verizon. I've narrowed it down to three choices (with CNET ratings):
Samsung SCH-a930 (7.0)
Nokia 6315i (6.6)
LG VX8300 (8.0)

They all have my two must-have features: bluetooth and speakerphone, EV-DO is a plus. The only problem is, none of these appear to be compatible with iSync. Is that really the case? If I can't sync my address book and calendar, there's no way I'm changing phones. Some googling hasn't revealed any easy fixes (like renaming a phone profile as with some phones).

Are these phones just not compatible? If so, can anyone recommend another phone that Verizon offers that has bluetooth, speakerphone, EV-DO, and is iSync compatible?

And please, don't bother telling me to change carriers. I've used almost every single one, and Verizon has treated me the best. Plus I wouldn't want to have to deal with changing over my whole family plan and all the lines and trying to convince my girlfriend to switch.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 04:42 PM

Oh yeah, and I don't like the RAZRs.

Hal Itosis
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2006, 07:11 PM

-HI-

Andy8
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 07:16 PM

iPhone perhaps?

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hal Itosis View Post
Yeah, that was the first place I looked. None of the phones are listed there (Samsung and LG aren't on there at all), but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't work. I've been able to get phones that weren't officially supported to work with iSync just fine before. But I haven't been able to find any reports about whether this is possible with these phones either way.

I'd guess that the Nokia is the most likely to work since Nokia is the only one of those three manufacturers that's on the list, but the specific model isn't on there and neither is the related 6215i, so who knows.

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 21, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Andy8 View Post
iPhone perhaps?

The chances of the iPhone being CDMA are next to nil.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2006, 09:04 PM

I'm, as usual, too lazy to look it up, but there's a company called Nova Media (or something to that effect) that makes iSync plugins for non-Apple-supported phones. I don't think they cover any Samsungs, but they might be of use for Nokia or LG. Try teh Google.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2006, 12:44 AM

http://www.novamedia.de/sync/index.html is the link.
Still nothing for my beloved P990i and the inability to send / receive sms

nonhuman  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 22, 2006, 01:10 AM

That doesn't look like it supports the 6315i either.

Oh well, guess I'll have to look at other phones.

warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2006, 11:08 AM

I know that you said you don't like the Razr and unfortunately that is what I have and I use it for transfers and iSync. My friends have the LGs and I could never get the SMS to work on them, so I can't add anything other than my Verizon Razr works with both. I had to recode iSync to work with it but SMS worked out of the box via Bluetooth.
iStink (with my Mac)

bilbot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 27, 2006, 11:01 AM

You might give OnSync a try. Although the phones you listed are NOT in their list, they may be able to help. Onmadesoft - Mac OS X Freeware and Shareware Download - OnSync
The best part of OnSync is that you can sync selected numbers only. e.g. I have your mobile, fax,home and office numbers in my address book, but only want your mobile and office numbers on my cell phone.
Hope this helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules