Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Wireless Mighty Mouse question

Wireless Mighty Mouse question
warfarer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 10:29 AM

I have a 1.67/15" Powerbook and I just ordered the wireless Mighty for it to use on the road. I was all excited until I opened and saw that the mouse jumps all over the place.

My question is whether anyone has had this problem with the cursor skipping badly and whether they fixed it somehow or if exchanging the mouse helped. Any input would be great. I drive near an Apple store on my way to south Florida for work and would like to just drop by it and exchange if there is no fix for it.
iStink (with my Mac)

sray
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2006, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by warfarer View Post
I have a 1.67/15" Powerbook and I just ordered the wireless Mighty for it to use on the road. I was all excited until I opened and saw that the mouse jumps all over the place.

My question is whether anyone has had this problem with the cursor skipping badly and whether they fixed it somehow or if exchanging the mouse helped. Any input would be great. I drive near an Apple store on my way to south Florida for work and would like to just drop by it and exchange if there is no fix for it.
We have a large number of the bluetooth mighty mouse deployed at work. So far no issues. However, they will not track on glass tables (all our office tables are frosted glass) and will skip on some wood patterned desktop.

Putting it on a mousepad will improve performance. The best mousepad that I've experienced is the white iRiver mousepad. It is completely white and the mighty mouse performs like a champ. I just recently switched from a 3M mousepad (for aesthetic reasons) and was shocked at the change in performance.

You may just have a bum mouse .. if so, you can get that swapped out at the apple store.

warfarer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 04:52 PM

I called the support line and talked with them this morning and they were nice about it and told me to just drop by an apple store and change it out and that should be it or they could exchange via mail for me. So maybe the new one will work good for me. I just wasn't sure if there was a new update that I could download with new bluetooth drivers or mouse drivers that would fix it.
iStink (with my Mac)

techtrucker
Senior User
Dec 2, 2006, 06:15 PM

Mine was silky smooth right out of the box, I would exchange it for another. As others have mentioned, have you tried it on a mouse pad? It should not be jumpy at all.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 2, 2006, 06:35 PM

Just use a piece of blank printer paper and see how it works on that. Normal paper has fiber patterns that are great for optical mice.

tooki

warfarer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 2, 2006, 06:48 PM

I have tried it on a mouse pad, on a desk, on a legal pad, carpet and anything else laying around. It just jumps all over. I found a thread or another forum that suggested trying steermouse software and I even tried it to no avale. I think the mouse is just bad. No big deal, I will swap it and see if that works, if not I will probably just return it for something else.
iStink (with my Mac)

Forum Links
Forum Rules