Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro + X1900 XT crashing after boot (Leopard) - please read...

Mac Pro + X1900 XT crashing after boot (Leopard) - please read...
blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2007, 02:30 PM

I have a Mac Pro quad 3GHz w/ ATI X1900 XT videocard. It's one of the first models released.

For the past 4-5 months I've noticed a few pixels on in random places - looks like stuck pixels on an LCD, but they're not as they move around from time to time and sometimes aren't there at all. It progressed to horizontal lines across the screen in places - following window boundaries, etc.

A few weeks ago I de-dusted the X1900 (there was much), applied latest Mac Pro firmware update and applied that recent X1900 XT firmware update. All in the same hour. The dots went nearly totally away, but the lines did not.

In the past 4-5 days, my Mac Pro basically freezes up within five minutes of boot. Can be running different apps. UT2K4 or just activating Expose or doing nothing. Right now it's still up amazingly after 30 mins.

I've got some screenshots and I found some crash log entries that correspond. Please have a look:

Index of /macpro_leopard_crash

I also took a 10 min HD video of the crashing I will put on a DVD and take to the Genius Bar to show the problem, if I need to send in hardware to Apple for repair.

I would love to think it's the X1900 and it overheated or something and became damaged so that would be all I need to send in. Note that NONE of these problems were at all present in the first 6 months of life or so. And yes, the crashing is post-Leopard install.

Very troubling. Is anyone else having issues like this? Any input appreciated.

Thanks much.

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

shinji
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2007, 04:17 PM

I'm not having an issue with crashes/freezing but I do have the horizontal line issue...it seems to start at the left of the active window almost always.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 4, 2007, 06:33 PM

This with a 2.66, 5GB, X1900XT:
Definitely a yes to the horizontal line issue in the past couple of months, and a possible to the single pixel issue. That *might* end up being a new stuck pixel that I can only see on black - here's hoping.

I'm thinking I'll put up with it until there's a better card out and then try and wangle my way into that via Applecare.

fady
Nov 4, 2007, 07:23 PM

No problem here with a MacPro + Leopard, ATI 1900XT...

No crashes, no horizontal lines, etc...

Now if I could only get AirDisk to work again...

F.
fady :-)
proud owner of a MacPro.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 5, 2007, 12:29 PM

Hopefully that'll stay the case Fady - mine used to be perfect but has been on the blink increasingly often in the last two months.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2007, 08:59 PM

Sounds like you might have a bad video card. Screen "artifacts" are always a classic symptom of failing video cards. Bring it into an Apple store...

As the video card progressively fails, it will induce more crashes, kernel panics, etc...

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2007, 09:20 AM

For anyone following this thread, there's another that might be of interest:
http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-pro-a...-pro-graphics/

Mine's got a replacement on the way. It finally got to me sufficiently to do something about it

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 25, 2007, 02:41 PM

My X1900 XT went belly up a few months ago. Apple sent me a new one and everything is fine now. I think they're calling it the WoW problem because World of Warcraft is where it showed up first for most folks. For me, it was Civilization IV, but once I describen the issue, they sent me a new card and I sent the old one back. Excellent customer service!
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Oversoul
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 12:46 PM

all2ofme, Ancient One: Did you guys call Apple about this problem or did you drop by the Genius Bar?

I'm having the same issue with my Mac Pro w/X1900 XT but two issues are keeping me from bringing it into the store. (1) My girlfriend cannot go a few days without the computer as she's got several art projects she's working on; and (2) the last time I dropped off something at the Genius Bar to be sent off to fix (my 23" Cinema Display), it came back with scratches and scuffs (something I'd like to avoid with my Mac Pro case).

Can I do the swap without taking my computer in?

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 27, 2007, 07:15 PM

Yep, my new card's being sent out so that I can swap it myself. They want the old one back, which is fine by me - will be glad to see it go!

In the meantime I use my machine in short bursts with the windows open so that it's cooler. Seems to make a difference, too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules