Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > iMac G5 FS/FT

iMac G5 FS/FT
Tavis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 09:56 PM

I have here, a iMac G5 that I'm looking to offload on someone else. I don't know enough about computers, and I am a broke college kid, so I'd rather just let some one else put it to use, instead of me.

Heres the details:
I got it from my school, they are in the process of updating all the old equipment, and I grabbed this before it got thrown out. I think it was just sitting in a storage room to be honest, since theres only one Apple per computer lab, and all of the labs have their macs. This is what is on the bottom:
iMac g5 17/1.8/512//SD/100-120v
I assume (like I said, don't know much about Apple) that that means, 17 inch screen, 1.8 ghrz CPU, 512 Ram, Superdrive, and the 100...ethernet? It has an ethernet connection, as well as a modem connection. The serial number is W84420MSPNY.
Heres the bad:
Theres no HD enclosure. When the school decided to throw it out, they kept the HD because it has student information on it. They also took the enclosure, probably because someone didn't know what they were doing.
Seems to have a bad video card. When I put in a HD, the fans kick on, the HD spins up, and the white light as well as diagnostic LED's 1 and 2 come on. However, the screen stays black. Because of this, I don't really know what is wrong, but it seems like video card is the obvious choice. I don't believe there is anything else wrong with the system, but I can't be sure.
I did put ram into it, a 512 stick of Corsair, and a 128 stick that I cannot remember who makers. I also don't know if they work with the Mac, they worked when I took them out of of my old computer, so I would assume they work now.
Condition: I don't have a camera, it broke a couple weeks ago, and since I'm in school, I don't have much of a chance to send it in to get repaired. Over all its a very clean looking system, no scratches or gouges that I can see on the front or sides. On the back there is one *very* small scuff, to the right of the vent (not above the plugs.) When I say small, I mean small, its maybe one inch long, and about as thick as a pencil. Infact, I didn't even notice about 4/5's of the scuff until I looked up close at it. The 1/5 is barely noticeable, and the rest is so faint that its almost not even there. I wouldn't be surprised if it could be buffed out.
What I'm looking for: I honestly don't really know. I have no idea how much this is worth, if anything. I wouldn't mind using it as a computer, but unless the video card is not too expensive, I don't see myself using it. Any offers, or tips, or just general advice would be greatly appreciated, let me know what you think.

PS: Sorry again about the lack of pictures. If this is a huge problem for anyone I can see what I can do.

Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2008, 11:17 PM

I think you installed bad ram. A g5 isnt going to boot if the ram is the wrong speed. Do yourself a favor and buy $5 bucks worth of ddr ram on ebay. If thats the issue you would can get more out of that machine.

Tavis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stolfi1 View Post
I think you installed bad ram. A g5 isnt going to boot if the ram is the wrong speed. Do yourself a favor and buy $5 bucks worth of ddr ram on ebay. If thats the issue you would can get more out of that machine.
Its not the ram, it won't boot up with just the standard, non-removable ram only. The diagnostic lights and the guide from the Apple website says bad video card, which I'm inclined to believe, since I know the G5's have issues.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2008, 09:38 AM

An iMac G5 can't use a 128 mb stick. I suspect a bad video card which may or may not ne covered by Apple under the video repair extension program.

Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2008, 11:04 AM

if it is the logicboard ebay should have one on the cheap. Does it chime at all on boot? I was under the impression that the 1.8's had problems with there lcds not the video card. Most people with them disconnect the internal monitor and went with a external one.

StrongBad
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2008, 12:07 PM

i'll take it for $50

Forum Links
Forum Rules