Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > imac g5 2.0 Ghz superdrive 17" WON'T START

imac g5 2.0 Ghz superdrive 17" WON'T START
dysan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2008, 06:19 PM

Hello,
I have an imac g5 2.0 ghz, 17". I was using safari and it became unresposable. I had to turn it off with the power button. When I tried to start it again it frozed again and at the grey screen I had to unplug it to turn it off.
Now I only get the light from the button, no chime sound, black screen. Tried to boot from the installer disk but it doesn't do a thing. Just the power light.
I've opened it and I see the light from the first and second led. No other led is on.
Any ideas, what can it be, can anyone help me, I really need this mac for my freelance work. Did anyone had the same problem and could fix it?
thank you!

ibook_steve
Dec 9, 2008, 06:38 PM

Check the Exchanges and Extensions section here:

http://www.apple.com/support/imac/g5/

See if your machine applies.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dysan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 11, 2008, 11:15 AM

Thank you ibook_steve.

It's not between those serials.

I've send it to the store where I bought it and they say is the logic.
That's around U$s1.000.- to change it!
How can it be ? I had it for around 3 years, it's unacceptable. I don't know what to do! Any suggestions
Lots of people are having the same problem. Apple is selling furniture not machines! A cheap Pc lasts longer.
What can I do? Any suggestions?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 11, 2008, 02:26 PM

I suspect it's caught in the capacitor issue - did you notice any oft he large round towers leaking or bulging when you had it open? If you did (or if there are any), you may be able to argue a case and get it done free.

Stolfi1
Forum Regular
Dec 31, 2008, 11:14 AM

My iMac G5 died as well. I think the G5's weren't meant to be crammed into a imac. The heat was just to much for such a small space.

flgator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stolfi1 View Post
My iMac G5 died as well. I think the G5's weren't meant to be crammed into a imac. The heat was just to much for such a small space.
Agreed. My rev A iMac g5 17 in died this year as well after 4 years of use. It had the capacitor issue early on and I replaced the logic board. Last year, the power supply went bad and I replaced that. Parts were covered under AppleCare

This year it wouldn't turn on and I couldn't diagnose if it was the power supply or the logic board. The power supply is probably $200 to replace and the logic board was closer to $600 to replace. Apple wouldn't fix it under warranty extension due to the age of the iMac. I didn't feel like sinking more money into a 4 year old Mac that definitely had heat issues.

dysan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2009, 09:17 PM

Thank you all for the input.
My mac is dead after 3 years and 4 months of use. REally a bad machine.
The thing is I need it to work and I'm planning to buy an Core 2 Duo Intel 2,4 GHz, 20 inches.
Do you know if this model also has heat issues or any other known problem
Thank you

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 5, 2009, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by dysan View Post
Thank you all for the input.
My mac is dead after 3 years and 4 months of use. REally a bad machine.
The thing is I need it to work and I'm planning to buy an Core 2 Duo Intel 2,4 GHz, 20 inches.
Do you know if this model also has heat issues or any other known problem
Thank you
We have a nearly 4-yr old iMac G5 PPC, 17-inch 2.0 GHz, and also a new 20-inch Core 2 Duo Intel iMac 2.66 GHz. You may learn some more by exploring these MacNN forums as well as other online forums (Apple Discussions, Macfixit, etc.), but what I have observed with these two iMacs is the following:

The Intel C2D new iMac seems to run much cooler and is almost silent even when in intensive use. The G5 PPC chip seems to generate more heat based on the fans that come on quickly whenever intensive video or other computing is going on. The iMac G5 PPC fans are actually pretty quiet but they can be heard as a faint hum and they quickly respond to the activity of the chip, leading me to conclude that thermal balance is a key aspect of the iMac G5 PPC. The Intel iMac, on the other hand, either has incredibly silent fans, or doesn't need to be cooled as much. The Intel iMac also always seems cool to the touch, but the PPC G5 iMac has warm air blowing out from the back when the fans are running. So from a sort of qualitative comparison, I'd say the iMac Intel chip is running cooler than the PPC G5 one. I have a temperature monitor program reading out temps on the G5 in various locations, but the Intel iMac is so new I haven't had a chance to download a new version for it.

By the way, we've had no trouble with any of the Macs we have and use, so far at least -- one minor exception to that is my original PowerMac 7100 needed a new sound chip within a few weeks of its purchase in 1994, which was covered by the in-home warranty back then.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2009, 07:28 AM

I've got a pair of brand new, never opened iMac 20" G5 power supplies. Works on both models with or without ambient light sensor. MSG me if you need one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules