Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's the best US city for a young single guy?

What's the best US city for a young single guy?
galarneau
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 08:47 AM

I'm moving back to the USA next year to start my medical residency, and am looking for suggestions on cool places to live. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Decent cost of living
2) Easy access to the outdoors (mountain biking, hiking etc)
3) Good ratio of young single females to males
4) A wee bit of culture if possible
5) Did I mention women?

Anybody have any strong feelings on the topic? With the whole "Match" process, I won't be able to pick exactly where I go, but I can rank certain places above others. I might even look into doing some 4th year electives if a city looks really nice.

Thanks for any and all input.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Dec 21, 2002, 09:49 AM

From what I have heard about residency, those "rankings" are a joke. The AMA is going to put you where they need you. Also, nobody I know who ever did residency had any energy left for going out and partying, let alone mountain biking. It's work, collapse into bed, work, collapse into bed, work . . .

Good luck!

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 09:56 AM

Sure, if I was doing neurosurgery or even just internal medicine.... but I hear neurology, radiology etc have good hours in residency

I'm sure the first year will suck, but it's supposed to be better in later years. Besides there is a new policy going into effect next year, limiting residents to 80 hours per week. If they hospitals actually follow the policy (unlike in NY where this has been a law for the past 10 years, that everyone ignores), it should make a life outside the hospital somewhat feasible.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 10:23 AM

Vegas?

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2002, 10:43 AM

NYC Man!!!!!

Living in Brooklyn, or Queens can be affordable, safe, clean and plesent if you look...

Nice subway connection into the greatest city of all.

Phili ain't bad either... just not my thing.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 02:38 PM

Boston is a great city for young people. Look at how many colleges are there; and good ones too! You are bound to run into someone there interested in dating a doctor. I know a lot of my recent post-grad friends who live there and they say it is awesome. There is wilderness close by and plenty of culture. The only problem is the cold, if you are not used to it.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 03:43 PM

Love Boston, but the cost of living is too high and the housing market sucks.

DC is great but again the cost of living is too high. Everything else is great so long as you dont live on the south east sie of the city. Plus you can live in Virginia or Maryland if you like.

LA just sucks and there's no other form of getting around but a car. It's more like a half dozen little cities next to each other rather than one united city.

I just don't like NYC but that's because its not someplace I'd like to live for more than a few months. But it has its perks.

Which leaves my choice even if I am bias. Chicago. It has everything any of the above cities has plus a better housing market, lower cost of living compared to the above, and plenty to do. You have the influx of girls from other midwestern areas who have always wanted to live in the city but aren't ready for the East coast. No Ocean but lake Michigan is pretty huge. You have 5 major colleges in the area and two have many top ranked programs.

But if all you want is women move near Univ of Arizona or Univ of Flordia. They are very pretty and not very bright.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

xyber233
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 03:50 PM

Chicago rules!

WinsOBoogi
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
Boston is a great city for young people.
Yeah, but it's cold, and there's no CULTURE. I mean, I'm white, but I love diversity...it's not great to be completely around people like toy all the time...it gets bland.

I go to school in Philly. I enjoy it...although I grew up in NYC, so I really miss the action and excitement of it.

Philly's an extremely underrated city (that's EXTREMELY safe!). It's got a lot of culture, and it's got a few scenes like South Street and Rittenhouse Square. If you go down Walnut Street, you'll swear you're on Columbus Street in NYC. Fairmount Park is the biggest urban park in America, and it's got lots of places to hike and bike...and it's right along the Schulkyl River (the ection I'm referring to is near Boat House Row) and the beginning of the Appalachians (sp). very nice and scenic.

There's a lot of colleges in Philly, so there's a good chance of meeting people...I know I met my girlfriend because we both go to schools in Philly

I plan on staying in Philly for Grad School (aiming for UPenn - Edu. Psych), so I guess that says something.

Most of all..Philly is DEAD CHEAP!

Take care, and good luck

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2002, 04:48 PM

NYC you either love or hate.

Either way, most respect it.

It's a real different lifestyle than any other city in the world.

Personally. I think NYC is the best city I've ever been too. Since it's perfect, I can't see some other city being better. But that's just me.

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 21, 2002, 05:01 PM

san diego works well

a bunch of hospitals
30 minute drive from the beach, 60 minutes from the mountains, 90 minutes form the desert
lots of women - 3 major schhols - UCSD, SDSU, USD - perfe3ct weather keeps them here in top from and then you got mexcio to the south as well

only problem is that the cost of living is higher in socal than in other parts of the country

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 05:18 PM

NYC has the lowest crime rate of any large city in the US. As a matter of fact, I saw the new rankings last week, and only 19 cities were safer than NYC. And they were all pathetic little towns that no one's ever even hear of! Muwahahah!!!!

Call me biased, but New York really is the place to be. As others mentioned, the other boroughs like BK and Queens are affordable. You could always head out to Long Island or upstate for some nature/outdoors stuff. There's always something to do in the City. You can never be bored here. Perfect for young people.

Plus, with 8 million people, you're bound to see a girl every now and then!

rambo47
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 05:23 PM

I love NYC (and work and play there, too!) but the cost of living is through the roof. If you're looking for a more reasonable cost of living then NYC is out. Living outside of Manhatten helps, but everything else is still expensive. What's the word on Seattle?

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2002, 05:27 PM

Men's Health did an article not to long ago ranking the 101 best (and worst) cities for men. You can find the list here. Hope it helps. As far as your residency, they do try and take your wishes into consideration. Maybe you'll get lucky and end up where you want.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Men's Health did an article not to long ago ranking the 101 best (and worst) cities for men. You can find the list here. Hope it helps. As far as your residency, they do try and take your wishes into consideration. Maybe you'll get lucky and end up where you want.
Milwaukee got a B in fitness??

I don't think they've ever been here. Drunkest, fattest people in the U.S. are in Milwaukee.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 06:03 PM

Sydney, in the State of Australia is by far the best US city
In vino veritas.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2002, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by WinsOBoogi:

Yeah, but it's cold, and there's no CULTURE. I mean, I'm white, but I love diversity...it's not great to be completely around people like toy all the time...it gets bland.
Uh, when was the last time you've been to Boston? The technology industry brings people of all kinds here. i work with dozens of people from India, some from Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, China, and others. And that's just a single company. i read a news article about some enthusiastic Brazilians who took over a vacant lot and projected the World Cup final on the side of a building and had a grand old time. and if 'diversity' is allowed to include people of the white persuasion, there's plenty of good Italian restaurants and Irish bars and the people to go with them, too. Any lack of variety in the people of Boston is an outdated sterotype.

That said, it can be expensive to live here. Get a roommate--it's easy to do and makes all the difference.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2002, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by galarneau:
I'm moving back to the USA next year to start my medical residency, and am looking for suggestions on cool places to live. Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Decent cost of living
2) Easy access to the outdoors (mountain biking, hiking etc)
3) Good ratio of young single females to males
4) A wee bit of culture if possible
5) Did I mention women?

Anybody have any strong feelings on the topic? With the whole "Match" process, I won't be able to pick exactly where I go, but I can rank certain places above others. I might even look into doing some 4th year electives if a city looks really nice.

Thanks for any and all input.
Dude, there's really only one answer to this question:

New York City

Try to get a place in Manhattan (Yes, there are affordable places in Manhattan) and you'll never regret it.

Or another possibility, good but not as great as NYC: My hometown, Chicago
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 21, 2002, 07:37 PM

San Francisco......

great place to mountain bike all around the Bay Area.....
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 21, 2002, 08:25 PM

First weigh your interests: Lifestyle vs. reputation of school and training program. Then decide.

From what I have heard about residency, those "rankings" are a joke. The AMA is going to put you where they need you. Also, nobody I know who ever did residency had any energy left for going out and partying, let alone mountain biking. It's work, collapse into bed, work, collapse into bed, work . . .
Of course, it depends on the residency program, the field, the hospital, the school, etc. Obviously, a radiology or pathology resident is usually going to have more time than a CVT surgery or neurosurg resident.

I'll admit I've never lived in Boston (just visited several times), but I can honestly say I have no interest in living there. Very nice in some ways and it isn't as culturally monochromatic as some say it is, but it certainly isn't as diverse as places like Toronto (where I live) or San Francisco, etc.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 21, 2002, 09:03 PM

The problem with NYC is that there is no real easy access to nature besides Central Park. Getting out of NYC is a hassle. You need a car if you want to take your bike somewhere to ride it safely. And keeping a car isnt cheap there.

All the otehr cities mentioned don't have that problem. DC has the chain of parks leading out to MD from NW DC. Chicago has a huge lakefront and forest preserves galore in nearby burbs. Even Boston has it easier.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:

Milwaukee got a B in fitness??

I don't think they've ever been here. Drunkest, fattest people in the U.S. are in Milwaukee.
I'm not sure, but I believe when I read the entire article in last months issue, the fitness grade was given based on the availability of gyms, recreation areas, and stuff like that, not what the natives actually do with them. Milwaukee might have excellent health facilities, but people who are too fat, drunk and lazy to use them. I can't say, as I've never been.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 21, 2002, 10:15 PM

Come to Iceland. We need doctors, you make shite load of money, and some of the girls will do anything for you if you are studying to be a doctor

I have a girl, but it is still fun to go out and act like you are studying medicine. We have good hospitals, a good university, and the most beautyful girls in the world. You are always close to nature, and did I mention the girls?

I might be a little drunk now, but I'm telling you, come to Iceland! Playboy came here for a casting of Icelandic girls. We are also known as one of the most liberal counries when it comes to adult entertainment, the girls are just so sexy, and love foreigners with an accent

Did I mention the girls

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Dec 21, 2002, 11:40 PM

Hmm... sounds like the most common response is NYC. I grew up in New York State, so NYC isn't too foreign to me... been there many a time. I agree that it has all the culture and women a man could want... any town with a large gay population helps shift the balance in the heterosexual male's favor.

...just not a whole lot of mountian biking/hiking action. I remember every time I would drive down on a Friday afternoon to visit friends in the city, I would see hordes of people lined up on 87-N trying to get up to the Catskills. My lane was totally empty going into the city... and the reverse on Sunday afternoon.

If I did live there, I couldn't afford a car. Residents are only payed ~$35k per year and a lot of that will go for housing (and Mac stuff)

Philly sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Chicago perhaps too. I've been told Minneapolis is nice, but have never been, and don't know anyone who is from there.

Thanks for posting the link to the Mens Health article. As for Iceland... it sounds great, but after 4 years away from home, I need to be back in the USA. Besides, when you say you need Doctors, you don't need me! I'll be an intern... just know enough to be dangerous, and not to be left on my own.

Thanks again for all the responses. I welcome any more information.

BTW, what would a realistic estimate of housing in NYC be (Manhattan). Let's assume 2 scenario's

1) Living alone in 1 bedroom apt
2) Roomate in a 2 BR apartment

I'm sure it varies with location etc, but ballpark, how much are we talking here. I figure I'll be taking home ~$2500 per month. Can I live a decent lifestyle in NYC with that?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Logic:
but I'm telling you, come to Iceland! Playboy came here for a casting of Icelandic girls.
Where else would they go to cast that?
And isn't Bjork from there? Yeah, she kinda screws up your image.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2002, 12:36 AM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:

Where else would they go to cast that?
And isn't Bjork from there? Yeah, she kinda screws up your image.
Damn, I'm that drunk?

Bj�rk really screws up the image of Icelandic girls, I agree with you on that one.

We have some beauties, take a look at this one http://sodabrok.01.is/viewer.asp?pat...0Magdalena(is)

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2002, 03:33 AM

any town with a large gay population helps shift the balance in the heterosexual male's favor.
LOL!

I figure I'll be taking home ~$2500 per month. Can I live a decent lifestyle in NYC with that?
In Brooklyn or Queens, yeah. In Manhattan, highly unlikely.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 22, 2002, 04:15 AM

Minneapolis-St. Paul I can vouch for personally Lots of recreational options, decent cost of living.

Chicago is a great city, especially for nightlife, but it's huge and you gotta escape to Wisconsin for some outdoor recreation.

I love Boston but it's expensive. Same with San Francisco/San Jose area.

I've only visited Denver a couple of times but I've heard great things about it. Do you ski?

If you want something a bit smaller but still fun, try Portland (Oregon) or Madison (Wisconsin).

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 22, 2002, 11:04 PM

Philly sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Chicago perhaps too. I've been told Minneapolis is nice, but have never been, and don't know anyone who is from there.
I"m with CaseCom: Minneapolis / St Paul is an excellent place to spend time, and plus the weather will toughen you up real nice like.

Montanan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2002, 11:15 PM

Well, if you want a decent-sized city with some culture, and great outdoor recreation opportunities, I'd say to head for Seattle. If you can stand the rain, I'd say it's definitely the best city in the USA. Gorgeous setting, nice people, great neighborhoods, clean, etc. etc. etc.

(Just watch out for that vortex of evil on the other side of Lake Washington ...)

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 12:12 AM

I would live in NYC, but I don't think 35 grand would go very far there. That's about what I make working, but I live out in NJ. You could get a place in an area like where I live in NJ and still be close enough to NYC to catch a bus or train in every now and again. Rent around here is about $700.00 a month for something decent (or under $600.00 for a dump like mine ) It's far from being a "babe" area but there are some nice parks nearby.

I've only heard in passing that somewhere like Hoboken NJ (or Hackensack) is much better for the single lifestyle. It's directly accross the Hudson from NYC, but the last I checked it's pretty pricey living there also.

I've been here so damn long it's all I could really comment on with any experience.

MikeM

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 03:52 AM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
NYC has the lowest crime rate of any large city in the US. As a matter of fact, I saw the new rankings last week, and only 19 cities were safer than NYC. And they were all pathetic little towns that no one's ever even hear of! Muwahahah!!!!
Well, Providence used to be #2 on this list of safest cities. About a year age it was ranked by Money Magazine as the #1 place to live in the Northeast. It is very affordable, plenty of colleges around (with Brown and RISD being the two prestigious ones, and Providence College having the excellent sports program). Plenty of culture, fast commute to anywhere you work, and hour drive away from Boston (which costs less than $7 by bus). There is great camping and wilderness nearby. To top it all off there is plenty of shopping/clubs/restraunts/etc. within the city itself. You should give it a look.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

galarneau  (op)
Senior User
Dec 23, 2002, 04:03 AM

Ah... more good suggestions!

Providence --- never really considered it, but it sounds interesting.

Seattle --- I lived in Ireland for a year. I can take the rain.

Portland --- I have a classmate from there. He's not to big on the city, but it's often that way with the hometown, isn't it?

These are all good suggestions, and I appreciate all the input.

So far, I have on my list:
NYC
Boston
Providence
Philadelphia
Portland (Oregon)
Seattle
Denver
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Chicago

I may check out St. Louis and Cincinnati
as well...

Now I just have to hop on the FREIDA website and see what residency programs these cities have.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

Anyone else have an opinion?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 04:16 AM

Add Austin, Texas to your list. It was A&E's top 3 cities to live in the nation. Cost of living in Texas is less than that of NYC, Chicago, or Boston.
1) Decent cost of living - Austin would win
2) Easy access to the outdoors (mountain biking, hiking etc) - it ranks up there with outdoor activities
3) Good ratio of young single females to males- The University of Texas has over 60,000 students in a large metropolitan city. My guess is that you'll find a hot co-ed in no time.
4) A wee bit of culture if possible - ok, Boston, NYC, and Chicago win this round

Hope you find something you like.

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 23, 2002, 04:46 AM

yeah checkk out san diego...

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 10:51 AM

One caveat about Providence: the drivers are insane. They make Boston drivers look good. Wait a few seconds after a light turns red before proceeding into an intersection.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2002, 11:16 AM

Boston- meets EVERYTHING except the cost of living criteria... which is TOTALLY out of control.
Ditto NYC (not my thing, but I hear tell some folks like that shyte).

I will second Providence. Still affordable, more or less close to so many types of out door activites- close enough to the White Mts for weekend stuff. Most of the truly excellent women (subjective term, of course) are imports which is a plus (you'll know what I mean when you visit Warwick, Nort Providence and Cranston... unless, of course, you are into the Iroc Big Hair MAD accent spit and cuss like a truck driver types). True about RI drivers- and it ain't restricted to Providence. They are freaks.
Lots of great cultural stuff, great bars and restaurants. Lots of colleges (and nubile women folk therein).

Also consider Portland, ME. If you can handle the weather, it is a GREAT place. Blows way past your expectations, I guarantee.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2002, 03:34 PM

I also would have to Say NYC, I mean they have some of the BEST hospitals in the country much less the world. Cornell, Columbia, Mt Sinai, just to name a few. It is also one of the safest Big cities as was mentioned before. A little on the Expensive side but if you get a roommate it's not too bad, or you could find a place across the river in the Republic of NJ and take the train or ferry to the city.

NY has Everything. It also depends on the type of Moutain biking you want. If you want to just go out for a ride you can ride the bike path on the west side highway I think it basically hits almost the entire west side of Manhattan. Besides we have an Apple Store in Soho, I don't think Boston, Philly or Chicago have one. Yes Yes I know King of Prussia just got one but that is not Philly. Just one more thing to sell NYC to ya. Also if you befriend someone on the forums who lives in the area they can take you other places to MT Bike or do other things. One last thing. If you do get a car what other city other than on the west coast can you be at most hour from at least 6 Apple Stores.

Yes I can Name all 6
( Last edited by typoon; Dec 23, 2002 at 03:49 PM. )
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Boston- meets EVERYTHING except the cost of living criteria... which is TOTALLY out of control.
Ditto NYC (not my thing, but I hear tell some folks like that shyte).
By all means move to Boston if you want to be treated like a second-class citizen by the townies who define "dangerous" as dem black folks living on the other side of Mass Ave. Enjoy the "did your people arrive on the Mayflower" scrutiny and colossal self-satisfaction that only the Capital of Provincial America can exude. Take your life into your hands crossing words with one or more of the 100 000 thug-uglies of every pursuasion who populate every street corner, who are all on their way to Beverly to score some weed that turns out to be oregano. Boston gloats like San Francisco, but has none of the latter city's charm.

[Yes I did live in the heart of the Boston SMSA for four plus years, as an adult.]

I will second Providence. Still affordable, more or less close to so many types of out door activites- close enough to the White Mts for weekend stuff. Most of the truly excellent women (subjective term, of course) are imports...
Spent many happy years in Providence. The countryside around Naraganssett Bay is beautiful, and Providence has all of the good eats and good living of Boston w/o attitude and the price. Southern New England is quite different from the Bay Colony, funny that.

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 2002, 07:48 PM

Portland: not too expensive, in the great northwest so there's a great environment, hip but not too much.

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 23, 2002, 08:05 PM

2nd Timo's opinion of Boston, most racist place I've ever been. Didn't know there were even that many kinds of white. As the joke goes, the great thing about Boston is that there are so many people from out of town... Worst of all, bars close early most nights. If you're lucky, they'll stay open until 2 on weekends, but they'll yank a drink out of your hand on the dot. The puritan vibe is still heavy there.

If you like live music, Austin is a great choice.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 23, 2002, 08:11 PM

I don't know the east coast much at all.

You should check out Austin. People say it's Seatle with great weather.

Seatle is terrific if you can deal with grey. Absolutely terrific town.

Portland is great (again grey is an issue for some), but it's more of a working town than Seatle. It's got tons of pubs and terrific beer. Decent music scene. Standard culture options, nothing outstanding, but solid and respectable. Fabulous outdoors and the bike-friendliest town in America.

SF is beautiful if you can afford it.

LA sucks. Period.

My total sleeper choice? Salt Lake City, UT. It's pristinely clean and safe. People are so friendly you'll freak out at first. The best outdoors city in the country, IMO. Cycling, rock-climbing, hiking, winter sports, fishing, boating, everything within minutes of downtown. Literally. 15 minutes to pristine outdoors with no crowds. 60 minutes to wilderness backcountry with no trace of people. SLC is not long on night life, but it has some great bars and clubs. It just doesn't have a LOT of them. Your choices are limited. It's a very quiet town (it's a very small town) so that throws people off. Utah girls are very outdoorsy, athletic, friendly and hella cute. Lots of them are Mormon (which isn't a bad thing depending on your interests) but lots aren't. SLC isn't nearly as Mormon as people think. It's rural Utah that is a bit spooky.

SLC is central to all the best National parks in the country. It's got cheap housing and great Hospitals.

ThisGuy
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2002, 10:10 PM

Ah... more good suggestions!

Seattle --- I lived in Ireland for a year. I can take the rain.

Portland --- I have a classmate from there. He's not to big on the city, but it's often that way with the hometown, isn't it?

These are all good suggestions, and I appreciate all the input.

So far, I have on my list:
NYC
Boston
Providence
Philadelphia
Portland (Oregon)
Seattle
Denver
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Chicago

I may check out St. Louis and Cincinnati
as well...

Now I just have to hop on the FREIDA website and see what residency programs these cities have.

Thanks again for all the suggestions

I found me a wife in Chicago.

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by ThisGuy:
I found me a wife in Chicago.
Your own, or someone else's?

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Timo:

By all means move to Boston if you want to be treated like a second-class citizen by the townies who define "dangerous" as dem black folks living on the other side of Mass Ave. Enjoy the "did your people arrive on the Mayflower" scrutiny and colossal self-satisfaction that only the Capital of Provincial America can exude. Take your life into your hands crossing words with one or more of the 100 000 thug-uglies of every pursuasion who populate every street corner, who are all on their way to Beverly to score some weed that turns out to be oregano. Boston gloats like San Francisco, but has none of the latter city's charm.

[Yes I did live in the heart of the Boston SMSA for four plus years, as an adult.]

Spent many happy years in Providence. The countryside around Naraganssett Bay is beautiful, and Providence has all of the good eats and good living of Boston w/o attitude and the price. Southern New England is quite different from the Bay Colony, funny that.
FWIW, I totally disagree with my esteemed colleagues estimation of Beantown. I like Boston. And the attitude Timo describes is minimal in my experience. And no, my people didn't come off the boat. And I buy oregano at Stop and Shop.
See, and I would say Providence is great if you can ignore the rampant corruption from the cop on the street to the state house.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by putamare:
2nd Timo's opinion of Boston, most racist place I've ever been. Didn't know there were even that many kinds of white. As the joke goes, the great thing about Boston is that there are so many people from out of town... Worst of all, bars close early most nights. If you're lucky, they'll stay open until 2 on weekends, but they'll yank a drink out of your hand on the dot. The puritan vibe is still heavy there.

If you like live music, Austin is a great choice.
Man, you know, I am senstitive to it. Really. And I find it to be NO MORE RACIST than any other city in this country. Really. This irritates me. This coming from someone in NYC (which blows racisim with every breath, it just comes from ALL over, not just the whities) where racism is considered a point of pride. Well, see what you wanna see, I guess.

denim
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2002, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
FWIW, I totally disagree with my esteemed colleagues estimation of Beantown. I like Boston. And the attitude Timo describes is minimal in my experience.
Agreed. Boston is my favorite city, though I haven't spent much time there recently. I mean, they have the Museam of Science! Great stuff.

Maybe I should give NYC more of a chance, though. <shrug>

putamare
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2002, 11:42 AM

New York is a stew, Boston is one of those TV dinners with the little metal ridges to keep the corn out of the cobbler. Of course it is possible to mix things up a bit, but the system isn't engineered to be that way.

Jim Rockford was beaten repeatedly for your entertainment.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 24, 2002, 11:45 AM

New York is a stew, Boston is one of those TV dinners with the little metal ridges to keep the corn out of the cobbler. Of course it is possible to mix things up a bit, but the system isn't engineered to be that way.
I think that's gotta be the coolest analogie I've ever heard.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2002, 12:08 PM

A thirty year old view of Boston. And Macs suck because you can't get software for them.
Again, I find this view ironic coming from a New Yorker where I find "street racism" to be more prevailent, and where I find that racism is the only truly equal opportunity employer.
I am thinking this is nothing more than another one of those NYC/ Boston "rivalry" things.

Forum Links
Forum Rules