Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Guitar advice needed

Guitar advice needed
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 14, 2007, 09:47 PM

Alight, I'm back for some advice.
I have a Yamaha acoustic guitar my parents got used around 6 years ago for $225. I couldn't tell you specifics but off the top of my head I can tell you it's a left-handed version and it's non-electric acoustic. I started out playing guitar left handed but switched to right when I picked up electric, so I restrung the guitar to play right handed. It still sounds great and the only indication that it's backwards is the pick guard.
By next fall I'll need my own electric-acoustic guitar, so I basically have two choices.
1. Pick up some sort of pickup on eBay and either install it or have it installed or
2. Sell it and buy a real e-a guitar.

If I was to get a pickup what brands are recommended? I've heard that Fishman is good, and the installation doesn't look too involved, depended on whether or not I decide to install a volume control, then a bit more work would be required. I'm a little gun-shy about drilling holes into my guitar, but I don't want to pay someone to do something I'm capable of.

If I was to just get a new guitar what's a good mid-range brand? I don't want a POS but I'm in no way financially ready for a $2,100 Taylor. I'm going to have a buy a new car before fall so that's where my money is focused right now. If I wanted to sell my old guitar what's the best place to do that? eBay? Local guitar shop?

Any suggestions?

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2007, 09:58 PM

Of course, you do expect smart ass answers, right? I mean, you leave and pop back in with a serious thread, you got to expect smart ass replies.

I'm thinking about it.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 10:02 PM

You can get a really very capable AE for 3-400, go down to a music store and play with some until you find one you like. Once you get above POS, it becomes very personal.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 14, 2007, 10:18 PM

Since acoustic guitars are the work of the devil, I have absolutely no idea beyond:

Do not sell your guitar.

Never in the history of mankind has anyone not regretted selling their guitar (or putting an air bomb into the soundhole).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 15, 2007, 12:10 AM

Well I have to have a guitar next fall, so I wouldn't be selling it for good, but with getting a replacement in mind. I have several I can borrow now, but I need my own eventually. I'm keeping my electric for now too.

anonymac
Baninated
Jun 15, 2007, 12:50 AM

Okay so you want some real guitar advice?

If you want to be seen as a real musician and make money at it, you need to buy a GIBSON electric guitar, and a MARTIN acoustic. If you want to be some moron who just plays guitar as a hobby, then buy anything else.

That is all the advice you will ever need about a guitar.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2007, 04:33 AM

There are a couple of reasons why it's not a good idea to switch the strings around on an acoustic guitar. If you look at the saddle, most likely it is slightly angled in the bridge. This is done to promote proper intonation of the strings. Also, most saddles are shaped (compensated) to some degree for the same reason. By reversing the strings, they are not contacting the saddle in the proper position. I'm not a luthier or anything, but I would imagine that your intonation is fairly off from reversing the strings.

Secondly, the bracing in the lower bout of most good guitars is designed for either RH or LH. By switching the bass strings to the other side, there is more tension on that side than it was originally designed to bear. I don't know how much of a real concern this is, but over time I'd think it would take its toll on the top. I've read on other guitar forums where luthiers have warned people against doing the switch.

I'm sure you could get some better answers to your questions here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/index.php

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info. I had wondered about problems from switching the strings, and right now I'm leaning more towards just getting a new guitar.

Nice to see the troll is still here. It's not my desire to be seen as a professional musician or make any money from this, it's my desire to get a guitar that will work well for me.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well I have to have a guitar next fall, so I wouldn't be selling it for good, but with getting a replacement in mind. I have several I can borrow now, but I need my own eventually. I'm keeping my electric for now too.
Not really what I had in mind. I have many guitars right now (so not short of something to play on), but I still regret selling my first (even though it was nowhere near the quality of my current models).

I dunno, maybe you're not as sentimental as me.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's not my desire to be seen as a professional musician or make any money from this, it's my desire to get a guitar that will work well for me.
There's no substitute for going and playing with some at a music store. One of them will speak to you!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2007, 10:49 AM

You must be special, that's the second post he's had in the past 2 ½ weeks.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2007, 10:57 AM

When talking about an electric-acoustic guitar,I assume you mean an acoustic guitar with a build-in pickup, right ?

I would take a look at Norman guitars.

Norman Guitars - Norman Guitar; B20, B18

They are hand-made in Canada by the same company that makes Seagull and Art & Lutherie. I mad mine for 12 years and I couldn't be happier.

-t

MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Jun 15, 2007, 03:02 PM

Fishman pickups are what can be placed into the sound hole of your acoustic to add the electric pickup. I have a Telecaster that also has Fishmans on the bridge, so my electric can sound like an acoustic.

I also have a Taylor e-a that cost me a small fortune, but it is an amazing guitar.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2007, 03:41 PM

You know, I'm pretty happy with Tacoma guitars. I have martins and gibsons, takamine, gretch, so on, but Tacoma is really well made. here's what I think you should find and try:

http://www.electriccitymusic.com/EBa...MC1CE-BL-1.jpg

Olympia is Tacoma's low-dollar line, but the quality of wood and workmanship is still present. Having the soundhole in the upper bout means there's more top surface to resonate and act as the sound board. You get more volume and a greater tone this way. The bridge shape also lends to better tone.

Oh, I still play my martin, but I play the tacoma far more frequently.

Olympia OMC1CE Guitar w/ FREE OFFER!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by MOTHERWELL View Post
Fishman pickups are what can be placed into the sound hole of your acoustic to add the electric pickup.
Not necessarily. They do make some soundhole pickups but they make others as well. I feel like the soundhole pickups are lame and I'd rather have one built in.

Some weekend I'll head to the local guitar center and play a few. Thanks for the help so far!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 16, 2007, 12:38 AM

The problem with a fishman is that it will always sound like a Fishman.

The right way to go about it is to combine a Fishman with a mic and mix the output of the two. The reason for this is that you can only get so natural with a piezo like the Fishman, and a mic will take care of the natural sound.

Fishman Ellipse Matrix Blend at Stewart-MacDonald has the under-the-saddle piezo and the mic as well, so that you can mix the two outputs.

Mini-Flex Guitar Microphone System at Stewart-MacDonald is a good second best - it will sound more lifelike than the under-the-bridge alone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules