Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > in need of a good flashlight

in need of a good flashlight
macfantn
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 05:26 PM

looking for a flashlight to keep in the car, take camping etc. I want something small that i can fit in my pocket and want it to be BRIGHT. There are a ton of flashlights on the market and I don't know much about them, can anyone recommend one under $25 if possible. thanks.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 05:32 PM

They are not the brightest, but I have had my mini maglite for close on 15 years. It's great. Tough, reliable, bright enough.

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2008, 05:33 PM

I found this one at Wal Mart for $25.
Rayovac - Sportsman Xtreme LED Flashlights

They had both a 1W and a 3W model that look identical. This one is the 3W. It uses 2 AA batteries, is VERY bright, and solidly built (in China...).

Teronzhul
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2008, 05:56 PM

I carry and use one of these every day. Coast also has a Lifetime warranty which I have made use of. They're great people to deal with. This light can be purchased at Home Depot and Lowes for about $30 I think.

Coast Product Details

davidflas
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 06:07 PM

I have a maglight AA powered led flashlight that I love. Small, bright, and very well made. Can be found at Lowe's and Home Depot.
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 06:09 PM

Have a couple of Maglights that are about 15 years old. Never failed me yet.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2008, 07:28 PM

Seconding (Thirding?) the Maglite recommendations, you can get them just about anywhere, and they're more than bulletproof. I haven't played with any of the LED ones, but my filament Maglites (perennial stocking stuffer, so i have easily a dozen) have held up fine. Not to mention that I've taken mine swimming before, don't know why, I guess it was just for sh*ts and grins.

Cipher13
Feb 27, 2008, 08:00 PM

Maglite, for sure. I've got a 4 x D cell Maglite and two mini Maglites, the oldest of which has been running for about 12 years now. They go camping, hiking, fishing, and are literally unbreakable (the 4D even fell down a chasm. Had to climb down after it, as there was no way I was leaving it. I have no idea how the lens survived, but it did...).

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2008, 08:05 PM

I like MagLite -- I have a two 2 D cell MagLites and had a 2 AA cell MagLite until it recently broke. They are very well made (in the USA!).

But... The 2 AA Rayovac LED that I linked to above absolutely and completely blows the 2 AA incandescent MagLite away in light output. The 2 AA MagLite broke before I bought the Rayovac so I never did a direct comparison, but I would say that the Rayovac is about 10 times brighter. It's crazy bright! I've never used a MagLite LED though.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 27, 2008, 08:18 PM

I've got all sizes of MagLite around the house. The big one stays by my bedside. I'll whack you with it if you approach, then I'll turn it on.
ice

Cipher13
Feb 27, 2008, 08:41 PM

The LED Maglites are much brighter than the older ones, and probably comparable to the Rayovac (though I'm just guessing). It'll be a shame when you can't buy the old incandescent ones anymore - for a lot of things I prefer the softer, lower temp light. Bright, white LED light is horrible for fishing and hiking and whatnot. Hell, sometimes I use the red lens that came with my AA Maglite (among others) to soften the light further.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 27, 2008, 08:46 PM

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 09:51 PM

since using LED, i won't go back to incadescent bulbs again.

i loaded up on these small ones (one for tent, one for backpack, one for suitcase, two for the house) but they are just over your price limit:

Cabela's Extreme Series 5-LED Flashlight

and 2 of their larger 20 LED ones (one for truck, one for house):

Cabela's Extreme Series 10- and 20-LED Flashlights

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 10:02 PM

I lost my AA maglite in the north woods of wisconsin one year when I was in camp as it was clipped to a tree branch to be the flag in a capture the flag game. I didn't go back to camp the next year as a camper but when I went for a weekend to visit my sister my old counselor was still there and said he had found it. The keychain portion was rusted, but the light still turned on even though it went through a year of heat, snow, rain, bears and whatever else wisconsin could throw at it.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 10:20 PM

LED MAGLIGHT

LED MAGLIGHT!!!!

once I purchased my first LED 2 cell maglight I have been buying the LED bulb replacements for all the rest of mine (I have about 6)

I love my LED mini mag though... DAMN bright, and battery power is 2x the filament versions...
Amazon.com: MAG INSTRUMENT 2 cell AA Mini MagliteLEDw/ hlstr,Gray: Home Improvement

I HIGHLY recommend them, also if you want a cheap yet nice headlamp there is an "energiser" brand 3 LED headlight that usually sells for about $9 which is AWESOME! the 6 LED ones are crap though (I have both)
Amazon.com: Led Headbeam: Electronics
the energiser brand headlight was AWESOME on my transatlantic sailing trip this last summer, I used the single red LED a lot, and I NEVER changed the batteries... they seem to last forever!

-Zach

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2008, 10:52 PM

Get one with "Xtreme" or "Tactical" in the name.
I HIGHLY recommend them, they have never failed me yet.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2008, 11:12 PM

Repeat after me: "Maglite is what I want." Really outstanding, really tough, really reliable flashlights made from aircraft aluminum are not exactly common. These are exceptional even for their narrow field. You won't find a Streamlight that matches any Maglite for durability. And Maglite now offers their flashlights with LED lamps (as well as replacement lamp units so you can convert an older light), so they use a lot less juice and stay really, really bright forever.

I'd go for a couple of lights for your car: a 2XAA light for the glove box and a 4XD for the trunk. You DO have to check alkaline batteries for leakage and power, but you need to check your tires' air too-put the two tasks together and you're golden with Maglites.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2008, 11:17 PM

Maglights are StreamLights stepchild that no one wants. Sorry guys, I know I will take slack on this. I find them totally inferior to a StreamLight. You pay more for them but they are the best in the world. Trust me, as a guy who uses a flashlight every day I know what I am saying when the Maglight just won't stand the test of time.

Here are some good stream lights.

http://www.lshlights.net/AMAZING/itemdesc.asp?CartId={386EB193-411B-4FEVERESTFE-BF9E-BE1B05BC03C8}&ic=68302&eq=&Tp=

http://www.lshlights.net/AMAZING/itemdesc.asp?CartId={386EB193-411B-4FEVERESTFE-BF9E-BE1B05BC03C8}&ic=75500&eq=&Tp=

TheFireStore.com: Survivor LED (not really for the pocket but you can put it on a jacket.

TheFireStore.com: Twin Task Lights

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2008, 11:17 PM

Here's another recommendation for Maglite. Get one that fits your need, it'll work great.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2008, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by iranfromthezoo View Post
Maglights are StreamLights stepchild that no one wants. Sorry guys, I know I will take slack on this. I find them totally inferior to a StreamLight. You pay more for them but they are the best in the world. Trust me, as a guy who uses a flashlight every day I know what I am saying when the Maglight just won't stand the test of time.
Respectfully, I beg to differ. I worked in a shop that did warranty work for StreamLight-supporting sheriff's offices, firefighters (volunteer and regular) and the like. I've never seen a Maglite have the kinds of failures I saw in StreamLights. Things like the tailstock stripping out, the switch getting pushed all the way in, and the ever popular "the charging block on the light shorted the charger and burned out the car's wiring. That was a mess! Yes, they are usually reliable, and yes they're great for bopping the aggressive drunk driver during the traffic stop, but they don't handle abuse as well as Maglites, especially considering the use our OP has for his purchase.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Feb 27, 2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Respectfully, I beg to differ. I worked in a shop that did warranty work for StreamLight-supporting sheriff's offices, firefighters (volunteer and regular) and the like. I've never seen a Maglite have the kinds of failures I saw in StreamLights. Things like the tailstock stripping out, the switch getting pushed all the way in, and the ever popular "the charging block on the light shorted the charger and burned out the car's wiring. That was a mess! Yes, they are usually reliable, and yes they're great for bopping the aggressive drunk driver during the traffic stop, but they don't handle abuse as well as Maglites, especially considering the use our OP has for his purchase.
I completely see your side and respect that. i`ve had nothing but trouble with maglight, I`ve had six and one streamlight. Granted I am usually in a different situation than the OP will hopefully ever have to be.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 27, 2008, 11:31 PM

Cool. I haven't seen what the two brands do in a fire, nor how they handle getting run over by a police car. Just different experience. (I should also mention that I wouldn't recommend against Motorola radios even though I once had to fix one that the guy had dropped into the (clean) toilet and then tried to transmit with in spite of it being soaking wet. I got that puppy working, but it was a long and expensive job.)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 12:24 AM

Make your own for cheap:

DIY: Mod a $5 flashlight into a $95 light

-t

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2008, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Make your own for cheap:

DIY: Mod a $5 flashlight into a $95 light

-t
Good idea, but god that man talks like a ****.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2008, 12:10 PM

One more for the Maglite. AA for on your person, 3 or 4 D cell for home storage.

The only thing I have ever seen go wrong on literally hundreds of them is a burnt out bulb.

Forum Links
Forum Rules