Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help with "Open with:" function

Need help with "Open with:" function
Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2008, 05:21 PM

I recently did a complete reinstall on my G5 iMac, OS X 10.4.1 -- backed up my Home folder, wiped the disk, then reinstalled the OS and all app's.

I have one file type that I cannot get OS X to recognize and open with the correct application. The files in question have the generic white "unknown file" icon. When I do a "Get Info" on them, they display the incorrect application in the "Open with" menu. When I change this to the correct application, I can see the file icon change to what I selected. But when I push the "Change All..." button, the file icon reverts back to a generic white icon and the "Open with" changes back to the incorrect application.

I have tried reinstalling both applications (correct and incorrect), but that didn't fix the problem. I have 100's of these types of files and download more regularly. I hate to have to change them all manually. Any help appreciated.
( Last edited by Dave N; Dec 29, 2008 at 12:07 PM. )

Cold Warrior
Dec 27, 2008, 12:59 AM

Take a look at this thread and see if either of the tips help you out.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=7098470

The first is whether you have filevault on or off. The second deals with deleting launchservices.plist and assorted.

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2008, 12:06 PM

Thanks a lot! I reset my Launch Services database using the commands in that thread, and the files are now associated with the correct app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules