Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Spotlight will not search inside Excel files

Spotlight will not search inside Excel files
Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2009, 05:37 PM

Spotlight used to search inside my excel files, but now it does not. It searches inside just about every other kind of document though, including Word. I recently did a wipe/reinstall of my hd, so I'm guessing that something went bad there. Does anyone have a fix?

iMac G5, 10.4.11

Thanks,
Dave

ibook_steve
Oct 8, 2009, 06:44 PM

Which version of Office are you using and are you updated to the latest? I seem to recall this being added in one of the many Office 2008 updates.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

steve626
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2009, 12:43 AM

I just did an experiment with two files, one being an Excel 2004 file and one being an Excel 2008 file. I have both versions of Excel on my computer. Spotlight searched for and found a character string inside each of the two files successfully. It works on both types of files.

You can re-index your spotlight if yours is not finding everything it should.
iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz, 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8
Macbook Pro Retina Display 15", 16 GB RAM, 10.7.4
iMac G5 2GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 10.5.8
Macbook Air Core 2 Duo 4 Gig RAM, 10.6.8

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2009, 03:09 PM

I'm using Office 2004.

I'll try re-indexing...thanks

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2009, 05:32 PM

I re-indexed twice, but it still won't search inside Excel files. I know it did this before, so I'm open to other suggestions.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2009, 05:54 PM

Right, you're using Office 2004, but you haven't mentioned whether you applied any of the subsequent updates. Office 2004 was released almost a year before Tiger, which introduced Spotlight. So if you reinstalled Office from DVD after wiping your HD, it's possible you're using a version that predates whatever minor update introduced Spotlight compatibility. Run Microsoft AutoUpdate (I forget where it is in relation to your Office/Applications folders, but you can find it with Spotlight ), let it install whatever it finds, then try your search again.

P.S. I just noticed that the latest Office 2004 update (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968695) requires that some of the prior ones be installed. So you may want to re-run AutoUpdate after it finishes to see if it finds anything newer. Lather rinse repeat until it tells you you're completely up to date.
( Last edited by slugslugslug; Oct 9, 2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Added post script)

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2009, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I ran the Office updater several times when I reinstalled office. I just checked and there are no new updates. Maybe I'll try reinstalling Office...

Also, like I said above -- Spotlight searches inside Word files fine. Strange...
( Last edited by Dave N; Oct 13, 2009 at 10:18 AM. )

PatrickH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2009, 02:30 PM

I had the same problem with Excel 2004, even though I had applied the most recent updates. Spotlight was searching in recent files, but not older files.

I then opened the old files and resaved them. Each time, Excel asked if I wanted to save the file in the new format. After saving them, Spotlight searched the files properly.

(And yes, this was a time-consuming hassle. I couldn't think of a faster way to get Spotlight working on those old files.)

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2009, 04:51 PM

An entry over at MacOSXhints.com may have what you're looking for:

Cure for Microsoft Office files not showing in Spotlight

Dave N  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2009, 02:55 PM

I appreciate everyone's help, but unfortunately none of the above suggestions worked for me.

I finally solved the problem by replacing the "Microsoft Office.mdimporter" file in the Library/Spotlight directory. I downloaded the file from here:
Downloads

After replacing the file, I forced a complete re-index of the hard drive by: go to the Spotlight system preference pane, click the Privacy tab, add the entire hard drive to the privacy list, wait 5 min, remove the hard drive from the privacy list. This will initiate a re-index.

Anyway, that's what worked for me (and believe me, I tried a lot of things!). Hopefully anyone else having the same problem will find this information helpful.

Gregg
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2009, 12:05 PM

Why not just use Find within Excel?
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

Forum Links
Forum Rules