Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Glass desk - advice?

Glass desk - advice?
reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2010, 10:51 PM

Hi,

To make this short. It's time for a new desk and I really like the IKEA's Galant system. It's a 1/2 inch glass with support struts throughout that can handle around 140 pounds.

Does anyone here have any disgusting stories about their glass desks spontaneously shattering? I really like the way glass pulls its look off in my office but I'm also scared that one day I'm gonna find this desk in pieces on the floor with my ACD and a MBP.

Wood looks good as well but glass is simply amazing.

Any advice?

Thanks!
MacBook Pro 15" Intel Core i7 2.66Ghz/4GB/GeForce 330GT M 512MB/Corsair 128GB SSD
Mac Pro coming soon
iPhone 4 32GB Black

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2010, 10:58 PM

If you don’t have any way to hide or organize your wires, glass desks look awful.

Also, if you’re keen on keeping smudges and dust off of your things, that’s another disadvantage to using a glass desk.

As well as what you mentioned, possible breakage.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
Does anyone here have any disgusting stories about their glass desks spontaneously shattering?
Fortunately not.

Both my and my wife's desks have desks with glass tops, had them for 8 years, no problems.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 1, 2010, 09:18 AM

We got the Mikael (hehe) desk for my wife. It's the standard wood-like substance but we picked up the optional glass top for it. She likes it, but needs a mousepad.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2010, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
She likes it, but needs a mousepad.
OR a Logitech Dark Field mouse.

-t

P
Aug 1, 2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by reRESERVEDMD View Post
Does anyone here have any disgusting stories about their glass desks spontaneously shattering? I really like the way glass pulls its look off in my office but I'm also scared that one day I'm gonna find this desk in pieces on the floor with my ACD and a MBP.
They don't shatter, but they do sort of bend. We had glass shelves in the kitchen when I was growing up, and had the phone books on one side of them. That side bent downwards - or rather, FLOWED downwards - over the years. I've seen that on desks as well, if you load them down enough.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
They don't shatter, but they do sort of bend. We had glass shelves in the kitchen when I was growing up, and had the phone books on one side of them. That side bent downwards - or rather, FLOWED downwards - over the years. I've seen that on desks as well, if you load them down enough.
Some DO shatter.

My friends patio glass table shattered one random afternoon into eleventy billion pieces.

There weren't using it at that time, there was no wind, no special heat. It just happened out of the blue.

-t

PB2K
Mac Elite
Aug 1, 2010, 04:48 PM

glass surfaces bend indeed, the solution is to flip it over so it bends back.
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

WhaMe
Forum Regular
Aug 2, 2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Misconception. The glass shelves did not flow.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Aug 2, 2010, 02:54 PM

I might think twice about an IKEA glass desk:

Desk Trauma on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2010, 03:13 PM

I have a story about a desk shattering.

Last winter, my neighbours had the misfortune of a burst pipe, so everything from their basement had to be moved upstairs. Some items they put on their porch or in their garage of course. They put their desk on their second-story deck (for reasons I don't understand in the winter). Here in Colorado Springs, winters are exceptionally windy. The neighbourhood weather station records SUSTAINED wind speeds of 65 mph fairly often, with gusts as much as 85. Well, on one exceptionally windy day, their desk (which had nothing on it) got picked up by the wind and smashed into the corner of my house. There are still glass shards in the rocks surrounding my house, and it took chunks of wood off the siding and scratched the paint. So, if you plan on leaving your desk outside during high winds, I can't recommend a glass deck.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2010, 03:20 PM

I'd avoid glass for all the obvious reasons mentioned here. Unless it was glass block or something thicker than 2 inches. I'd rather go wood or marble.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

-Q-
Aug 2, 2010, 03:45 PM

Other than the need for a good cable management solution mentioned above, I've loved my glass desk. It hasn't shattered after 6 years of use, and we go thru some pretty decent temperature extremes here in GA.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 2, 2010, 05:19 PM

A client of mine has a glass desk, with a glass side unit next to it. Unfortunately half the side unit has a top on it and half is actually open (why??). The number of times I've put something down on the bit that's actually open. Grrrrr
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Forum Links
Forum Rules