Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Finally took the (G5) plunge!

Finally took the (G5) plunge!
Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2004, 11:43 AM

I�ve written on the forums in the past (over a year ago) about having an old Mac and desperately wanting the next major jump in Mac CPU power to happen so I could justify spending lots on upgrading. I also didn�t want to jump into the first revision of the G5 (not to mention that I didn�t have the resources when they first came out). So, I waited and waited for the jump to 3.0GHz. When it became a jump to 2.5, at least it was a jump, so I decided then I was going to upgrade. Had to wait for a few things to settle out (moved to another state around the time the 2.5GHz were announced), and so on the 17th, I finally placed my order:

And talk about an upgrade! I am going from a

266MHz Beige G3
192 MB of ram
Rage Pro video processor
17� CRT monitor

to a

Duel 2.5 GHz G5
1 Gig of Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DLL video card
20� flat panel Apple Cinema Display.

I�ve got some big plans for this Mac, so you can just imagine how hard the waiting is

At last check, the ship date was still 9/23, so I�m hoping it doesn�t slip. After reading about various G5 quirks on the forums, I�m also hoping that somehow that all gets worked out of the mix before mine gets out the door. Still, nothing can quell my excitement for now.

Okay, just had to share. Anyone else out there making this big an upgrade jump (not counting those who are going from a Windoze machine to a Mac--I can�t compete with that kind of upgrading )

-Jason

d.fine
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2004, 12:57 PM

Congrats !! I had to wait 5 weeks to get my Dual 2.0 , longest weeks of my life !! I know how you feel !
I absolutely love this machine, no quirks or anything ... Enjoy your G5 when you get !!!

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 28, 2004, 01:14 PM

At home, I went from a Cube 450 to a Dual 2.0 G5, and that was a pretty shocking jump. You're going to be blown away, if you've been used to a 266 all this time. Also be prepared to be awed by that 20" display. Wish I could have sprung for one of those too.

Congrats!

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2004, 01:27 PM

I just ordered a Dual 1.8 GHz Rev. 2 on Friday with Apple's Friends & Family discount.

2x1.8 GHz G5
512 MB RAM
ATi Radeon 9600 XT
80 GB SATA
Bluetooth
8x SuperDrive

$1825+tax. Not too shabby!

Est. ship time is 7-10 business days. Here's hoping!

Also ordered this drive from NewEgg for extra storage.

It's replacing a Gigabit G4/400 (which I'm giving to my parents so they can have something nicer than a G3 266 All-In-One). Can't wait!!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Hinson  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2004, 08:29 PM

Originally posted by Hinson:

At last check, the ship date was still 9/23, so I�m hoping it doesn�t slip.
As noted in another thread, it slipped! Boy did it slip! Three days before ship date, I checked online and the date suddenly became 10/22. I didn't even get an "We're sorry" letter--at least not yet.

I understand that complications can occur, but they had to have an idea that the date was going to slip before the three day mark! Moving back the date by a MONTH with only three DAYS left is just cruel!

The only hope I hold out now is that the new date is an exaggeration, or perhaps just really accurate, or in the very least more reasonable than their original guess.

UGH!

-Jason

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2004, 08:31 PM

Congrats!! Hot damn, that is going to be one massive jump. Prepare to be utterly blown away.

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2004, 09:56 AM

Congrats, Hinson. Sounds like a great system. I'm jealous.

jcru
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 21, 2004, 06:34 PM

Very nice! I too just took the (G5) plunge. About 2 weeks ago I picked up a stock Dual 2.0 for $1999+tax to compliment my 15" PB. The G5 is very speedy compared to my 1.25ghz PB. I'm just trying to find justification to keep the PB as well (haha...) -- Doesn't everybody "need" multiple Macs?

danbrew
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 21, 2004, 09:04 PM

Originally posted by jcru:
Very nice! I too just took the (G5) plunge. About 2 weeks ago I picked up a stock Dual 2.0 for $1999+tax to compliment my 15" PB. The G5 is very speedy compared to my 1.25ghz PB. I'm just trying to find justification to keep the PB as well (haha...) -- Doesn't everybody "need" multiple Macs?
Where'd you get a stock dual 2g at 2k? I just paid 2.5k. Damn - did I screw up by not shopping around?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2004, 09:45 PM

Sounds like either a developer or employee discount. Normal retailers cannot dip below Apple's Minimum Advertised Pricing. Congratulations, Hinson. As I'm fond of saying, I went from an 8600/300 to a DP 2.0, and I am in computing ecstasy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules