Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Turns itself off???

MBP Turns itself off???
G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 22, 2006, 06:46 PM

Hrm... It has happened three times now... Twice while the screen saver was on, the other when I was playing an emulated game. My MBP just turned itself off.

I called apple about it. The fellow had me take out the battery and press the power button on the MBP for five Mississippi's to reset some power thingy (can't remember what it was called.)
He also had me download the "new firmware update" but when I tried to install it, a message came up and said, "This update isn't necessary on this computer."

I am testing the machine now to make sure it doesn't happen again. I just got this thing last Monday
If this happens again, I am to call apple again with my case#.

If anyone has any ideas / suggestions beyond what I have done so far, please let me know.

Regards,

R

hemant
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2006, 10:30 PM

I had a similar issue. My battery used to drain until 90%, then the computer would just shut down. Called apple and after a few agonizing phone calls got a new battery. The batteries were out of stock so I had to wait 10 days.

The new battery is ok. It used to show 5600 mAh as complete charge when it was new, now after a month it shows 5202 mAh as complete charge. I get 2.5 hours on average out of the battery. Very happy with my MBP, only issue is with the battery. If it were a consistant 4 hours I'll be a happy camper.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006, 02:16 AM

Well... So far, so good with the solution from apple. I will report back if anything changes.

R

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2006, 04:29 AM

maybe its heat related...im not exactly positive but dont all apple notebooks shut themselves off when reaching a certain temp as to not damage any of the internals?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

patricr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2006, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by iREZ
maybe its heat related...im not exactly positive but dont all apple notebooks shut themselves off when reaching a certain temp as to not damage any of the internals?

My 3 month old MBP did the same immediate shutdown 2 times in 2 days. Called Apple and they sent me a new battery- seems to have solved the problem. My battery did not bulge/swell as others observed.

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2006, 11:34 PM

My wife's MB Pro does this. We're going to bring it in to a store this week.

The battery is at full charge, power plug shines green, and when we unplug it, the MB turns itself off within 3 minutes. The battery charge lights show full strength. We've reset the power manager and the behavior persists.

Once it shuts itself off, if you leave it on battery power, the computer won't boot past the chime before it shuts itself off. Plug the power cable back in, and it boots/works just fine.

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2006, 10:57 AM

Mine started doing this last yesterday. The battery was down to about 50% and it just shut off, dead. I would restart it and it would go for about the same as others have said, 3 minutes and die.

I am going to swap batteries, I have a spare. I'll see if it does the same thing with that one. I use it on battery power regularly and try to drain the batteries down at least once every two weeks.

I have honestly never had as many problems with a computer as I have had with this one.
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

darcybaston
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006, 11:04 AM

If it's just a battery problem, should we really say it's the computer?

Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2006, 11:12 AM

Of course, it is part of the computer. I would not own it if it were not a portable. I just swapped batteries and noticed a slight bulge in the one I took out.

Now to see if this one drops dead as well.....
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

OreoCookie
Jul 24, 2006, 11:36 AM

I had the same problem. My battery was replaced and that seems to have fixed the problem.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

G0Ducks  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006, 01:35 PM

Well... So far so good for me. After the requested process was completed: remove the power adapter plug, taking out the battery, holding down the power button for five or six seconds, put the battery back in, put the plug back in, turn the power on...

If it happens again, I will mosdef be back here to report it. Right after I call apple that is.

R

Timetheus
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2006, 12:38 AM

I hd that same issue, they overnighted me a new battery. Check to see if the Al in is seperating from the plastic casing anywhere on the battery - mine had a gap big enough to slide a piece of paper easy into the battery. If so, you have the documented "Swelling issue", and since an expanding battery could potentially be dangerous, Apple Should replace it (noting the swelling got pretty quick action from my rep).

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2006, 11:32 PM

I'm just experiencing this problem now. Today was the first time in a long while that I actually used the computer unplugged. I'll call Apple in the morning and see what they say. Hopefully, it will be resolved quickly.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2006, 01:23 AM

mines is the opposite -it wont turn off when i go to apple/shut down. Is really annoying how a 2000+ dollar laptop behaves like a 700 with rebates computer.

chibitotoro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by darcybaston
My wife's MB Pro does this. We're going to bring it in to a store this week.

The battery is at full charge, power plug shines green, and when we unplug it, the MB turns itself off within 3 minutes. The battery charge lights show full strength. We've reset the power manager and the behavior persists.

Once it shuts itself off, if you leave it on battery power, the computer won't boot past the chime before it shuts itself off. Plug the power cable back in, and it boots/works just fine.
I'm having this exact problem with my MBP. Seems like most people have no problem after getting a replacement battery. My question is, I bought my MBP in the states but am living in Japan...is there a number I should call for tech support in Japan, or should I call back home and see if they'll ship one over here - or if they'll ship it at all, considering I bought it back in the spring and didn't get the extended warranty? Thanks for the help.

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2006, 08:08 AM

I've had swelling and leakage in mine. Very embarassing. If it happens in public I bite my tongue really hard. Once I am home I take a cold shower. There are times when it turns itself off for no reason but I take it as a sign of old age.
( Last edited by buddy1065; Sep 25, 2006 at 10:18 AM. )

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 11:30 AM

After I posted my message here, I called Apple and explained the problem. The representative had me read my battery serial number to them, and it was confirmed to be eligible for replacement.

The next day, I received the new battery. The rep. had me thinking it would be a few days at least, but it wasn't.

All seems fine now.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2006, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by spacefreak
After I posted my message here, I called Apple and explained the problem. The representative had me read my battery serial number to them, and it was confirmed to be eligible for replacement.

The next day, I received the new battery. The rep. had me thinking it would be a few days at least, but it wasn't.

All seems fine now.
How does the battery fit? Is it tight and aligned?

Just curious 'cause I've seen a few replacement batteries that were definately replacement looking.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Forum Links
Forum Rules