Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does anyone still use Explorer on Macs?

Does anyone still use Explorer on Macs?
pringbat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2007, 06:34 PM

The reason I ask is that websites I design work perfectly on Safari, Opera and Firefox, and also on PCs (including Explorer on PCs) but I have a real struggle making them work properly on IE for Mac. Can I afford to ignore it? Let me know what you use.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 06:37 PM

I don't think that many people use it. It doesn't come on Macs anymore since there's Safari, and it's not being updated anymore.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2007, 06:43 PM

It's dead... Don't worry about it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2007, 07:01 PM

As long as it works generally in IE for Mac, I figure that's good enough. A few people still use it, but they're a minority of a minority, and they really ought to upgrade their OS more than once a decade.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 07:19 PM

You can't even download it anymore. Kill it off and don't look back.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2007, 08:07 PM

You can ignore it, IF you don't mind risking loosing a small, small, minority of people who might use it. Frankly, I would always provide a text based basic page for those using really old browsers or screenreaders.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2007, 09:34 PM

I bet there are more people using Konqueror under Linux than IE in OS X... Seriously. Your attention would be better spent focused there.

danaherd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 11:31 AM

There are definitely still some people out there that use it. I've dealt with them on and off. The way that we have learned to deal with these people is to keep an older version of a lot of web pages up so that they can still use our site, but all the newer features are disabled for their browser.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 20, 2007, 11:39 AM

Most of the people who use IE for Mac are still using OS 9. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 11:50 AM

A couple of years ago I witnessed people in a computer lab using IE on shiny new G5s. Revolting.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

eyadams
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 12:30 PM

My wife still uses it - her employer has Outlook's web access for email, and it doesn't work in Safari. And she routinely manages to fine web sites that don't work in Safari - the most recent being Anthropologie -.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 01:10 PM

Do you guys test pages with Konqueror?

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I bet there are more people using Konqueror under Linux than IE in OS X...
I bet not. Most Linux users use Firefox, to my knowledge, and desktop Linux users are such a minute number anyway that they're dwarfed even by Apple. Meanwhile, lots of Mac users never update their systems and thus still have IE as their default browser. Some PC users even prefer IE on the Mac because of some psychological comforting effect.
Chuck
___

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I bet not. Most Linux users use Firefox, to my knowledge, and desktop Linux users are such a minute number anyway that they're dwarfed even by Apple.
I'm guessing that this was besson3c's point - that the miniscule number of people using Konquerer is probably higher than the miniscule number of people who use IE on the Mac.

FWIW, what gets me more is that ad designers still use IE for the Mac when they need to show a web page (the most ironic being PC World's TV ads here in the UK which, prior to the advent of Vista, invariably had a PC display with IE Mac running on it!).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I'm guessing that this was besson3c's point - that the miniscule number of people using Konquerer is probably higher than the miniscule number of people who use IE on the Mac.
Right, and I bet this is indeed correct. Konqueror, I believe, is the default browser within any Gnome based install.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 20, 2007, 07:17 PM

My powerbook osx 10.3 had it already installed along with SAFARI.

But I never use it.
( Last edited by earthlings; Mar 20, 2007 at 07:57 PM. )

Northeastern292
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2007, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
A couple of years ago I witnessed people in a computer lab using IE on shiny new G5s. Revolting.
It is revolting but

a) They probably lacked all sophistication
b) They were retro!
The Mac Collection:

Power Mac G4 Sawtooth at 450MHz, Power Mac G4 Gigabit Ethernet at 400MHz, three Power Mac FW800's at 1.0GHz, MacBook Pro at 2.0GHz, my late father's G3 iMac at 350MHz, an iMac at 500MHz, a PowerBook G4 (12-inch VGA) and a PowerBook 170

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by eyadams View Post
My wife still uses it - her employer has Outlook's web access for email, and it doesn't work in Safari. And she routinely manages to fine web sites that don't work in Safari - the most recent being Anthropologie -.
I can understand having to use it for company email if that's the only browser that works, but has she tried any of the other Mac browsers? Safari's not the only game in town. As for that clothing site, I was able to browse and add items to the cart so I don't see what's so incompatible about it. I hope your wife isn't using Explorer all the time.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2007, 08:59 PM

At my university's computer lab, all the G5s still have Internet Explorer as the default browser. I've actually seen people get pissed off and leave a Mac for a Windows machine after Explorer beachballed.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I can understand having to use it for company email if that's the only browser that works, but has she tried any of the other Mac browsers? Safari's not the only game in town. As for that clothing site, I was able to browse and add items to the cart so I don't see what's so incompatible about it. I hope your wife isn't using Explorer all the time.

It should never work for company email while others don't, unless the site is blocking based on user agent and not differentiating between the Mac and PC versions... The Mac version never had Active-X controls, and never will. Therefore, it is no more capable than any other Mac based browser out there in terms of sites it will work with.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2007, 11:50 PM

IE on mac is shameful, don't even waste ur time
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Kent
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2007, 11:52 PM

I deleted my IE. I downloaded FF instead.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kent View Post
I deleted my IE. I downloaded FF instead.
Love the username....we share the same namesake, as well as, location. Odd!

drnkn_stylz
Senior User
Mar 21, 2007, 10:01 AM

I use Internet Explorer only to access my work website so I can check my schedule and book off days. It was built to only run on IE, and will not let you log in with Safari, Camino, Firefox, nothing. Only IE. It's so stupid and the guy who built the site for my work is an amateur at best.
..13" MacBook Pro | 2.53gHz | 4gb RAM | 320gb Seagate Momentus XT | OSX.6.6.. // iPhone 4 32gb

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by drnkn_stylz View Post
I use Internet Explorer only to access my work website so I can check my schedule and book off days. It was built to only run on IE, and will not let you log in with Safari, Camino, Firefox, nothing. Only IE. It's so stupid and the guy who built the site for my work is an amateur at best.
You could have definitely disguised your user agent within any other web browser if you wanted to, I'm sure it would have worked.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 10:51 AM

My GF sometimes still uses IE for Mac, but I have managed to switch her to Firefox now, at least on my computers. Safari still has too many issues with certain websites, so it p!sses her (and me) off. She's perfectly happy with Firefox though. That reminds me... Next time I'm at her place I'm gonna remove IE from her dock.

I do know a few other people who use IE for Mac too, but that's just because that's what their Macs came with. I think they would have no problem using Firefox though, since they're not especially partial to IE for Mac either.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
My GF sometimes still uses IE for Mac, but I have managed to switch her to Firefox now, at least on my computers. Safari still has too many issues with certain websites, so it p!sses her (and me) off. She's perfectly happy with Firefox though. That reminds me... Next time I'm at her place I'm gonna remove IE from her dock.

I do know a few other people who use IE for Mac too, but that's just because that's what their Macs came with. I think they would have no problem using Firefox though, since they're not especially partial to IE for Mac either.
I agree about Safari. It seems like maybe Safari was a failed experiment in relying solely upon web standards to come up with a browser that is as capable and as compatible as Gecko, the gold standard in development these days.

I think that Apple would have been better off in trying to figure out how to work with/around XUL using the Gecko rendering engine.

FastAMX79
Mar 21, 2007, 01:11 PM

i personally have not used this 'internet explorer' on my mac since my Performa 550 when i was running system 7. Even then I was using Netscape.

Between Safari and Firefox, I personally have not had issues with any websites. My credit cards, banking, watching videos, all works well for me on my Powerbook G4
Powerbook G4 15" 1.0GHz FW800 60GIG HDD / 1.5GB RAM 10.5.X
iBook G3/800 12" 30GIG 640MB RAM 10.4.11
Mirror Door G4 1.0DP .5TB/1.5TB/40GB/30GB 1.5GB RAM 10.5 Server
Mini 1.83GHz C2D 80GB HDD 1GB RAM

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 04:04 PM

I agree about Safari. It seems like maybe Safari was a failed experiment in relying solely upon web standards to come up with a browser that is as capable and as compatible as Gecko, the gold standard in development these days.

I think that Apple would have been better off in trying to figure out how to work with/around XUL using the Gecko rendering engine.
Actually, Safari implements "quirks mode" as well. Compatibility bugs are among the highest (possibly the highest) priorities of the webkit team, so anything filed on it at bugs.webkit.org has a good chance of getting serious attention. If there's already a bug filed on it, you may be able to help if you're a web developer by finding the smallest possible bit of html that demonstrates the problem (called a reduced testcase). You'll also find that many of these issues have been fixed in the nightly builds.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man View Post
Actually, Safari implements "quirks mode" as well. Compatibility bugs are among the highest (possibly the highest) priorities of the webkit team, so anything filed on it at bugs.webkit.org has a good chance of getting serious attention. If there's already a bug filed on it, you may be able to help if you're a web developer by finding the smallest possible bit of html that demonstrates the problem (called a reduced testcase). You'll also find that many of these issues have been fixed in the nightly builds.

Well, the TinyMCE Javascript toolbar has been broken for ages, and it is widely available in numerous different CMSes and blogging tools such as WordPress.

They may have a good system for reporting problems, but I would imagine that their track record for releasing fixes is much slower, especially since it takes times for the fixes in the nightly builds (such as TinyMCE, which apparently has finally been sorted out) to be merged with the trunk.

My point is that Safari seems to chase Firefox far more than the reverse.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2007, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I'm definitely eager to see an updated webkit actually released... the current one is two years old.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 05:28 PM

Does Firefox implement text-shadow yet?
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 05:31 PM

Should we actually care? Not trying to be sarcastic. Just wondering.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 05:53 PM

Until IE starts supporting the CSS3 spec more, you're right, this is pretty meaningless to count on...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 05:55 PM

You sure are quick to jump to Apple's rescue! Apple's Tony Snow, if you will

(just teasing)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 06:17 PM

I guess that depends on whether we want to do shadowed text. Personally, I like it.
Chuck
___

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 06:44 PM

I guess that depends on whether we want to do shadowed text. Personally, I like it.
To be honest, I don't really get the point of it. Usually body text is too small to make a drop shadow worth it, and anything larger you'd probably want to bring into Photoshop to work out the details of the shadow, right? (unless the blur radius setting happens to yield exactly the results you want)

I suppose it might make a heading look a little cooler, but...

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2007, 08:00 PM

It makes a huge difference. Try it yourself - prepare a site with text shadow and compare how it looks in Firefox versus a WebKit browser. You can achieve a very subtle look (and it is particularly useful when you need to emphasise an e.g. heading with a light colour on a light background) with text shadow in WebKit that is completely lost in Firefox. Photoshop is not going to help when you have tens of such headings on a page... unless you really do want to spend hours making gifs or pngs.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
It makes a huge difference. Try it yourself - prepare a site with text shadow and compare how it looks in Firefox versus a WebKit browser. You can achieve a very subtle look (and it is particularly useful when you need to emphasise an e.g. heading with a light colour on a light background) with text shadow in WebKit that is completely lost in Firefox. Photoshop is not going to help when you have tens of such headings on a page... unless you really do want to spend hours making gifs or pngs.

I see...

Yeah, I guess I hadn't thought this through to the extent you have. I hope that text-shadow becomes commonplace soon, because it seems at least as useful as several other properties within the spec.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2007, 05:06 AM

Until you can make Safari have pink icons IE will still be used.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2007, 02:07 AM

Pink icons?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 04:19 AM

Yes.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 04:23 AM

I think he means buttons. On the page. Maybe.
Chuck
___

JKT
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2007, 02:25 PM

What they mean is that IE5 allows you to change the colour of the toolbar icons, one of which is pink. IOW, they are joking that such a "critical" feature is absent in other browsers, ergo IE will be around until they too allow pink toolbar icons!

Terrin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2007, 02:49 PM

I use Wordpress (watchingpolitics.com). Even if Safari's Code was identical to Firefox or IE, it still would not work correctly with Wordpress. Wordpress intentionally excludes Safari because Safari for a while supposedly didn't support Quicktags, which TinyMCE relies on. Apple, however, has corrected any problems it may have had. Wordpress still by default locks out Safari because the Wordpress PHP tells it to disable TinyMCE when the browser is Safari. There are simple hacks to address this:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3051

As far as Firefox goes, I think it is a great Window's browser that I am happy works on a Mac. I, however, find it is not very Mac like, and slow. I much prefer Camino, which has the same Firefox engine, but is souped up to work better on the Mac.

Even though I have Camino on my Mac (as well as Firefox, Opera, Omniweb, and Explorer), I still come back to Safari. I cannot explain exactly why, but overall it seems to work the best. It will be interesting to see what Safari does in Leopard.

Well, the TinyMCE Javascript toolbar has been broken for ages, and it is widely available in numerous different CMSes and blogging tools such as WordPress.

They may have a good system for reporting problems, but I would imagine that their track record for releasing fixes is much slower, especially since it takes times for the fixes in the nightly builds (such as TinyMCE, which apparently has finally been sorted out) to be merged with the trunk.

littlevish
Mar 31, 2007, 12:59 AM

My school uses IE5. It drives me nuts when Safari is better.

None of the teachers know what Safari is so they think you're messing up the computer if you use it

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2007, 09:05 PM

Sounds infuriating for you, littlevish.

littlevish
Apr 1, 2007, 12:41 AM

Yea, and somehow IE5 doesn't have a back button and I can't find where to put it back, so I have to use backspace.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2007, 01:59 AM

I can remember those days, so I can still empathize with you. You should write-up a friendly letter to the administration alerting them to the problem and then have your mother or father put either of their names on it. IE 5 is basically child abuse in my book.

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Apr 2, 2007, 12:46 AM

text-shadow was dropped from CSS 2.1

I'd not ever count on it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules