Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Airport dying?

MBP Airport dying?
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2008, 02:29 AM

So in the latest chapter of what will most likely go down as by far the worst Apple product I have ever known, my 1st gen MacBook Pro's airport performance is now nearly non-exsistant.

For a few weeks now, the airport range has continually dropped to what is now about 10 feet unobstructed. Also, Safari rarely loads a page, instead, stalling or simply timing out and giving me a failure to connect to server or a host of other messages. This is regardless of range. I have two other macs in the house that show full bars and load pages real quick.

I am really trying to wait until the next MBP revision to upgrade, but this POS might have to GO!!

I am most likely going to do a clean install to try to help fix it but I really do think this craptastic computer is just a lemon as it had a keyboard go out, screen fill with dust and has a **** DVD burner that fails to verify most of the time.

Any ideas before I throw it against a wall?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2008, 12:39 PM

you've undoubtedly already tried re-seating the card and making sure the antenna connector is pushed all the way in.

So, how about usb wireless? seems reasonably priced, with the main advantage that the antenna is outside the metal cage:

Search Results for "usb wireless" at OtherWorldComputing.com

(and I presume that you've previously sought solutions in the networking forum, where you might find more expert advice?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules