Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG]

Photo Critique Thread - [JPEG] (Page 29)
Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 8, 2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Nice B+W shot of Montmatre Nai no Kami!!!
Hey, thanks. I would permanently move to Montmartre any day and maybe die there from Camembert indigestion (a couple of nutella crêpes could come handy too).

Unfortunately, marriage, a fairly active social life and my newborn are preventing me to do that at the moment.

A couple of shots of our new family member:

Y no entienden nada... ¡y cómo se divierten!...

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2009, 09:53 PM

Nai no Kami-

Beautiful shots! Is that cute little one yours? Or extended family?

Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
This is a great shot of him! I get the feeling he's looking at someone or something, and asking "What? Did I do something?" I like the lighting and the muted background colors.
Speaking of looking up... This morning he was just too cute in his little swaddle not to take a few pictures. The opposite of the muted black background in the last shots.. but IMO fun non-the-less.

[killed image]
For some reason the jpeg conversion came through a bit flat in color.. I'll have to play with my color management/workflow a bit.

Figured out my color issue. See re-do several messages down.
( Last edited by MarkLT1; Jul 9, 2009 at 11:45 PM. )

reader50
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 12:05 AM

A reminder to all - this is a photo critique thread, not a post-your-snapshots thread.

It is oriented at improving photo techniques and endless arguments over shooting/processing style. Please keep in mind - (polite) disagreements are key here.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
A reminder to all - this is a photo critique thread, not a post-your-snapshots thread.

It is oriented at improving photo techniques and endless arguments over shooting/processing style. Please keep in mind - (polite) disagreements are key here.
I guess so. Honestly, some of the snapshots are more interesting than posed studio stuff. But whatever. I'd actually pay money for some good CameraRaw or Lightroom tips when it comes to RAW adjustments. The look that rob sheridan gets with a lot of his shots tickles my eye bone.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 9, 2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
I guess so. Honestly, some of the snapshots are more interesting than posed studio stuff. But whatever.
Snapshots are critique-able as well. There is a vast difference between good and bad snapshots. For example, my egg toss shot on the previous page was a snap shot. I did not pose anyone, did not direct anyone, I just captured the action as I saw it.
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
I'd actually pay money for some good CameraRaw or Lightroom tips when it comes to RAW adjustments. The look that rob sheridan gets with a lot of his shots tickles my eye bone.
That is the kind of thing that can come through in a critique.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2009, 07:37 PM

Quite a few here have never gotten any critique, so this is understandable.
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz | iPhone 3G | 
Canon EOS 7D | EF-S 18-135mm IS | 580EXII

Flickr
Tome Curator

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 08:34 PM

OK, here's a "non-snapshot" picture in need of a critique.

As before, the full size image is a click away...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 9, 2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
Nai no Kami-

Beautiful shots! Is that cute little one yours? Or extended family?
All my pride. Well, half mine and half my wife...

I'll try not to derail this thread as hard as I can. I'm a little short of time with all the time our baby needs, but I'll try to post some RAW captures before and after Lightroom and with a brief explanation of what I did and why.

I feel some photos are hard to critique in a matter of not just expressing disagreement of how the scene was taken. There are some other captures that need help desperately and -while not being purposefully mean- I'm not called Mr. Polite in my neighborhood. Nevertheless, I'll make my best effort.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2009, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

This is a non-snapshot? It's completely out of focus. Sure you meant to post this?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post

This is a non-snapshot? It's completely out of focus. Sure you meant to post this?
Nope. Focus was on purpose. Kitty was in the kennel when I focused on her, then she "came out into the the world" and stood in the light. I thought it had symbolism and stuff...coming out into the world without a clear purpose, that sort of thing.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2009, 10:05 PM

I'm sorry, but it didn't really work the way you meant it to

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 9, 2009, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I'm sorry, but it didn't really work the way you meant it to
S' OK. That's what critique is all about. My "vision" of the picture didn't come across. That's good to know. I'll work harder on composition, I guess.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 9, 2009, 10:14 PM

The story would actually have been clearer if you could just see the pen in the background out of focus. Ideally you would also have the cat looking out of the window out to freedom. There is also far too much "junk" in the top end of the frame that distracts from the rest of the photo. A lower angle would have solved this. Try and be at eye level with your subject.

Nai no Kami
Senior User
Jul 9, 2009, 10:19 PM

Well, here's my critique.
Judging by the picture's name, the main subject was the cat. Being that said, the main subject is poorly out of focus, and poorly lit. The whole scene, in fact, is really tricky to shoot to get it "properly".

The subject is absolutely centered in the picture. While the rule of thirds renders exquisite results when purposely broken, there appears to be in the scene no signs of the meaning of such centering. In fact, the blinding light that comes through the door and the cat in the center tend to weigh the composition to the right.

This can also be appreciated by the fact that the photographer slanted the horizon to the right, probably unconsciously moved by the weight of the composition.

By some reason, the cage behind is more in focus than the cat in the front.

While the light comes from the side, which can at times be used wonderfully to accent the volumes of shapes, the light comes from the front-side of the scene, making the subject backlit and the whole scene illuminated by stray light bouncing off the walls or other reflective surfaces. The problem with this is that, as the light source is also photographed, the composition gets underexposed and the light source overexposed and that creates an imbalance.

This lighting also creates lack of contrast, which could accent the shapes of the subject. I would have tried with a flash fill in order to balance the incoming light.

There are also numerous elements in the scene that don't add to the "story" of the capture and end up being distractive. I don't know neither the particularities of that shot not the gear used, so I'm not going to suggest things like a closer plane, a shallower depth of field, shooting in other light conditions or time of day, etc.

What I will nevertheless say is that I believe that taking photos is not an easy task (appealing ones, at least) and requires not only certain conditions on the photographer but on the scene as well. I, for instance, refrain to shoot if the conditions are not met. A friend of mine, who shares this vision with me, went for the first time to Athens and, when in front of the Parthenon, he took not a single photo because it was midday.

I believe that taking a photos is, from a technical point of view, organizing chaos: controlling the variables of the camera so reality can be composed into the frame. This can be achieved by both controlling the camera and finding the right moment to shoot.

I've seen many times the advice, now popular with digital film, to shoot, shoot and shoot in order to improve your skills. I respectfully disagree: it's like saying that you will become a better marksman by shooting 10,000 bullets to a target. You will eventually score a couple of bullseyes, but those will not be due to your skill or talent: they are simply applied statistics.

All of this gets infinitely more complicated when you throw art into the equation. Getting a technically correct photo is not difficult to achieve. Doing art with it is reserved for talented people.

I consider myself a technically well-prepared person, but a very bad photographer.

I hope I have fulfilled the purpose of this thread.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2009, 11:44 PM

then how/why did you miss the totally flat colors, and very cold skin tones in the image I posted right before your message.. Silly me forgot to convert from aRGB to sRGB before exporting for web. Lets try again (and critique away!!! Working on lighting here- lighting yay? nay?)

Version with proper colors:

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jul 10, 2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by MarkLT1 View Post
then how/why did you miss the totally flat colors, and very cold skin tones in the image I posted right before your message.. Silly me forgot to convert from aRGB to sRGB before exporting for web. Lets try again (and critique away!!! Working on lighting here- lighting yay? nay?)

Version with proper colors:
This is one of the only pictures I have seen taken of a baby from above them that looked great. The only critique I have is the wrinkle on the right side of the frame in the blanket. If that could be eliminated it would be an awesome shot. The colors are great in this picture. Love the baby's expression.

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 10, 2009, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
This is one of the only pictures I have seen taken of a baby from above them that looked great. The only critique I have is the wrinkle on the right side of the frame in the blanket. If that could be eliminated it would be an awesome shot. The colors are great in this picture. Love the baby's expression.
Thanks Railroader. I have gone back and forth on that wrinkle. As one of my friend put it- "Leave the wrinkle, no one expects an infant to be in a completely neat environment." In the original shot ( http://www.dobossy.com/gabe_green_sm.jpg ), there are quite a few more wrinkles. I was pretty easily able to dispense with most of them, but that one on the left, perhaps because of the light dropoff that is occurring, I wasn't able to get it to look right. There is enough breathing room to the right that I could probably crop half the wrinkle away, then only have to dodge. I think I'll give that a try tonight.

Lesson learned- an oz of prevention is better than a pound of cure. I usually try to make sure a back drop, clothing, etc.. is smooth, lint free, etc.. to prevent this kind of PP. In this case, I had a very small window of a cooperative baby, had no "assistant" (mom was sleeping), and that blanket was the only thing within arm's reach to use. I guess that is the way the cookie crumbles some times!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 10, 2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Nai no Kami View Post
I hope I have fulfilled the purpose of this thread.
You have for me, at least with this picture. I hadn't even noticed the horizon shift when I took or reviewed the picture. And as I stated above, I'd carefully composed a picture with the kitten IN the cage, sitting nice and peacefully, when she darted out and stopped in the sunlight, concentrating on something she saw out the window. I just snapped it at that point. I wasn't happy with the light, but I did think it made her glow kind of interestingly...Of course if I'd moved to one side to alter the way the light hit the subject, she'd have darted off somewhere else and all I'd have gotten was carpet.

As I said earlier, I'll have to work on composition. I'll also have to forget the limitations of film cameras and take as many pictures as I can of "subjects that move unpredictably," such as our little killer tiger. Thanks again.

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 11, 2009, 09:03 PM

As I said earlier, I'll have to work on composition. I'll also have to forget the limitations of film cameras and take as many pictures as I can of "subjects that move unpredictably," such as our little killer tiger. Thanks again.
Composition will always remain a learning process for us all. Every time you put your eye behind the viewfinder, it's a new ball game.

Flickr
Tome Curator

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2009, 09:18 AM

Photo removed by mattyb 26 Dec 2009.
( Last edited by mattyb; Dec 26, 2009 at 09:45 AM. )

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2009, 09:53 AM

I was playing with my macro filters and took this of a friend's tongue piercing reflecting my living room.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2009, 10:22 AM

That’s fantastic, mdc. The uvula at the back is slightly icky, for some reason, but the picture is brilliant.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2009, 12:45 PM

Thank you for the compliment.

Her mouth is closed and her lips are together with her tongue sticking out. The uvula is actually her cupid's bow.

From wikipedia:
Cupid's bow is a facial feature where the double curve of a human upper lip is said to resemble the bow of the Cupid, the Roman god of erotic love. The peaks of the bow coincide with the philtral columns giving a prominent bow appearance to the lip.
( Last edited by mdc; Jul 15, 2009 at 01:18 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2009, 12:51 PM

I've never heard of the "cupid's bow" before. Learn something new every day.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ApertureValue
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I've never heard of the "cupid's bow" before. Learn something new every day.
Yeah, no kidding. Just when I thought I knew it all.

Flickr
Tome Curator

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 15, 2009, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
Thank you for the compliment.

Her mouth is closed and her lips are together with her tongue sticking out. The uvula is actually her cupid's bow.
Ah yes, I see it now. Funny how an upper lip can seem to have the same shape as an upper palate.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
Ah yes, I see it now. Funny how an upper lip can seem to have the same shape as an upper palate.
It's just what you're expecting to see shaping how you interpret the quite vague and ambiguous background of the image.

I'm quite impressed by the depth of field-or rather the very limited depth of field-in that photo. Most of the time when you see that sort of close-up image it's got way too much depth, which distracts from the foreground image. This one must have been taken with a very large aperture to get the depth it has, implying really fast ISO speed. Very cool on a technical level.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2009, 08:36 AM

Actually, I think you've got it backwards: going macro almost *always* entails losing light, generally resulting in much too LIMITED depth of field.

Opening up the aperture to admit more light is a very easy thing to do; in my experience, you *never* run into problems with ISO settings being too low, since you will always compensate with shorter shutter times (desirable anyway).

The OPPOSITE is a problem: Getting ENOUGH depth-of-field. Since that requires a higher aperture, which in turn requires more sensitive ISO settings and longer exposures, both of which are challenging.

No?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2009, 08:57 AM

If you click the link, you’ll see it’s taken at f/3.2 at 1/50, with an ISO of 1600, which (as Chris says, indirectly) makes me think it much have been relatively dark where the picture was taken.

I can imagine stepping it all the way down to f/1.8 or f/1.4 (depending on what lens is being used, of course) would have given too narrow a depth of field—even the lower part of the tongue would have been completely blurry and unclear.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 09:05 AM

i was up north the last few days; here are a few shots with my simple point and shoot...

dozens more on my blog: hoedeman.net

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2009, 09:57 AM

Those are awesome, ResE.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Those are awesome, ResE.
thanks. i really should learn how to use all the features on my camera. but, i haven't. i would rather leave it in "dummy" mode and just sit and watch/look then to keep fiddling and trying this or trying that.

i see some people get way too wrapped up in taking a photo instead of enjoying what they are trying to take a picture of in the first place

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2009, 01:33 PM

Bempton Cliffs UK
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2009, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
i was up north the last few days; here are a few shots with my simple point and shoot...

I like this one... but it needs cropping to remove the heads!!

This one would have been more successful if you had shot it a little further to the left so the tower is further right!

dozens more on my blog: hoedeman.net
Nice

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 05:25 PM

With material like that and a steady hand, a point and shoot is apparently more than enough. Ol' Mac sure looks majestic there. What river are the other pictures of? Where'd you stay while you were up there? (Lots more great, photogenic places in easy driving distance of the south end of the bridge.)

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 08:38 PM

With material like that and a steady hand, a point and shoot is apparently more than enough. Ol' Mac sure looks majestic there. What river are the other pictures of? Where'd you stay while you were up there? (Lots more great, photogenic places in easy driving distance of the south end of the bridge.)
all the falls/rivers shots are the Tahquamenon Falls. i stayed in (and always do now) st ignace. and yes, dozens of great places to visit in both peninsulas north of the 45th parallel. i have camped almost every state park, more than once, in both upper and lower peninsulas as well as many hotel stays south/north of the bridge. this was just a 2 day trip so all we could fit in.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Nice
i didn't modify any photos on the site. but those i have printed, i've cropped/removed what i don't want....like those heads.

as for the other one (pretty much all the bridge ones)....not much you can do on a moving boat in 1' - 2' chop...you kinda gotta take what you can, when you can and still avoid people, boat rigging, etc.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 16, 2009, 09:40 PM

i didn't modify any photos on the site. but those i have printed, i've cropped/removed what i don't want....like those heads.

as for the other one (pretty much all the bridge ones)....not much you can do on a moving boat in 1' - 2' chop...you kinda gotta take what you can, when you can and still avoid people, boat rigging, etc.
Did you go to the Island too? I wish I could have the time to take my family up there.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2009, 07:41 AM

Did you go to the Island too? I wish I could have the time to take my family up there.
nope. like i said above, only there 2 days. the island is a good 4 - 6 hours on it's own.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2009, 06:49 PM

C&C Welcome!!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2009, 03:43 PM

Nice bird. Here's another:

ice

OreoCookie
Jul 21, 2009, 05:54 PM

@Ice
The colors on the second shot are crazy. Please don't tell me they're natural!?!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2009, 09:52 PM

Same day, minutes apart. Yes they're natural. She's thinking of getting them done though.

haha. oh and hopefully I covered the jokes that could have come from OreoCookie's comment. Don't make me come find someone, she's a nice girl.
( Last edited by IceEnclosure; Jul 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM. )
ice

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 21, 2009, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
Same day, minutes apart. Yes they're natural. She's thinking of getting them done though.

haha. oh and hopefully I covered the jokes that could have come from OreoCookie's comment. Don't make me come find someone, she's a nice girl.
Haha....tell her not to do it!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2009, 12:08 AM

Here are a few old pics that I've been editing.

(Last one is my dad)

OreoCookie
Jul 22, 2009, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post

I think most of us actually prefer natural. We're really jealous, you really are a lucky bastard (in every respect)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2009, 02:21 AM

Just some family photos...

mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 22, 2009, 02:28 AM

went to the robert frank and richard avedon exhibits at the SF museum of modern art. they are AWESOME and anyone who can, should make the trip. took these while wandering around the city afterward.

here's a couple from the avedon exhibit. they allowed non-flash photography, surprisingly. there's so much detail in the prints, you just have to see them in person. you can make out every thread in the people's clothes and there's no grain at all.

not all who wander are lost.

mr. burns
Senior User
Jul 22, 2009, 02:41 AM

looks like you have some nice glass, jawbone. what you using? i want to guess 70-200L for some reason.

i was using a sigma when i took mine. i had been bored one day and used a marker to color the gold stripe red, just as a joke, and someone passing by actually gave me a compliment, thinking it was an L. lol

not all who wander are lost.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2009, 02:53 AM

Nikon 85mm f/1.4D, actually. I've rented the 70-200 VR several times (and the Canon version when I used the 40D), and I just don't like working with them for whatever reason. I can't put my finger on why, exactly.

That's funny about them paying you an L-glass compliment for the Sigma. People are lured in by that red stripe every time. Which Sigma lens were you using, out of curiosity?

I really like shots 1 and 2 that you posted. I always have love for B&W.

Forum Links
Forum Rules