Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Terminal Error: pointer being freed was not allocated

Terminal Error: pointer being freed was not allocated
peterspiano
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2017, 02:39 PM

Dear Computer Experts,

I´ve got a frustrating problem. My terminal is showing me the following error message:

Last login: Wed May 24 16:50:01 on console
login(1145,0x7fff7b9cb000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7f9984a00610: pointer being freed was not allocated
*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

[Process completed]

This is probably somehow connected to the new installation of an SSD PCI boot drive in my Mac Pro. The drive is recognised as an external, not an internal drive - an issue which other users have also posted about. I used Migration Assistant to transfer the files directly during the Installation of the operating system. I have also been having some ‘permission’ issues, and have tried to use Onyx (https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html) to repair permissions. Regretfully after about 60% the program makes no progress (even after 8+ hours).

I have additionally checked the drive in Recovery Mode - no errors were found. Any ideas?

Mac OS 10.11.6 (15G31) (El Capitan)
Mac Pro 3,1 (Early 2008) 2 x 2,8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
The Boot Harddrive: 1.0TB OWC 6G SSD pci https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDACL6GE1TB/

many thanks for your time and expertise!

Peter

reader50
Administrator
May 24, 2017, 03:55 PM

"malloc: *** error for object 0x7f9984a00610: pointer being freed was not allocated" - this is a software error, relating to memory allocation. Some code tried to free up a pointer (a variable, more-or-less) that hadn't been declared. This is a software bug, you just have to figure out what triggered it. Try the Console (system log) to see if the error is there too. Hopefully with the program or process that the error came from. You can't fix this, only the code developer can. Identifying the source will let you look for an updated version, or to send the error on to the developer.

What permissions issues are you seeing? Onyx is useful, but what it tries to fix may not be applicable.

peterspiano  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2017, 05:41 PM

this turned out to solve the problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

thanks for your time

Forum Links
Forum Rules